87 Mica blue T-bar - *SOLD!* *SOLD!* *SOLD!*

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Noneil

87 Mica blue T-bar - *SOLD!* *SOLD!* *SOLD!*

Post by Noneil »

87, dark metallic blue, T-bar in good condition, 113k miles - blue-top engine with C52 gearbox. Toyota stamps up to 2003, and MOTs for it's whole life; bundles of other receipts included. MOT 01/09, TAX 07/08. This car has been in the mr2 mk1 club for a few years too.

Bad points first: starting to bubble on the offside arch, and a couple of small bubbles above the windscreen; and some rust showing at the bottom of the off-side A pillar, and under the bumper at the rear. The off-side front bumper has been scraped, and there are some slight scratches to the bodywork in general. The engine occasionally makes a few noises out of the ordinary, but these don't seem to indicate any faults as such. Drivers seat torn in several places.

Good points: the rest of the bodywork is good, including the nearside wheel arch - these were both done about 3 years ago, although the receipt for this has gone missing. The t-bars don't leak (although occasionally in very heavy rain some water comes in between the top of the passenger window and the roof). Janspeed exhaust system. Not even a wobble in fifth gear. Running on 15" white 6 spoke wheels (5 x original pepper pot alloys included in sale - could do with a refurb though to be honest) Short shift gearstick fitted (original supplied in sale) Maintains good oil pressure. Toad alarm and immobiliser

Other work done in the last 2 years / 13k miles: head-gasket (and other gaskets) changed; cambelt replaced; throttle cable replaced; radiator, water pump, thermostat replaced; all brake calipers cleaned and painted; near-side rear caliper re-furb'ed; front brake discs replaced; front droplinks, lower balljoints all round and track rod ends replaced. New clutch.

This car has been well looked after and cared for. I am moving to Brighton in August, and I can't afford a flat with parking or to keep and run a car down there, hence the sale. The car is not perfect, but definitely worth a look. I'm based in Birmingham, give me a call on 07971 417304 as I've probably forgotten to mention something! I'm looking for £1000.

Cheers,

Neil
Last edited by Noneil on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sharpfish

Re: 87 Mica blue T-bar - *SOLD!* *SOLD!* *SOLD!*

Post by Sharpfish »

Noneil

Post by Noneil »

More pictures:

Nearside arch - clean as you like

Off-side rear wheel arch; a few bubbles, and it also looks like someone has knocked it in the last week :evil:

Underneath the rear bumper

Off side sills

Near-side sills

Driver's seat

Bumper damage & wear

And here are some more positive pictures of the car:

I don't think I mentioned before the Jimi bracket, K&N filter, pneumatic lid stay or the new battery (I think it's still under warranty).

Still has the original trim the the frunk! Plus toolkit and jack. I should mention that I still have the T-bar covers and bags (in good condition), but the boot lining is a bit mucky (no pictures as it's full of tools at the mo).

Thanks for looking

Neil
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

Here's some more:

The top of the windscreen

Front inner wheel arches

Bottom of the a-pillars - don't worry, that's a couple of dry leaves in the panel gap on the second picture.

Neil
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Its a shame your selling neil, is there no way you can keep it?
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

It is a shame, I was secretly hoping that I would be able to keep hold of it, but we secured a flat in Brighton last night, and the is NO parking particularly close, anyhting else nearby is all permit holders only, however much that costs. If I don't sell it it's going to end up sitting on my parents drive miles away not getting used at all. I'd rather sell it on to someone who can enjoy it than let it rot away.
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

. . . And so to reflect this, I have reduced the price to £800 to help a quick sale.

Also, the slight engine noise appears to be down to the cambelt tensioner pulley needing replacing/regreasing.

Cheers

Neil
robwsurf

Post by robwsurf »

not trying to be funny but with that amount of rust think you will be keeping it £800 is way to much those ends of the sills dont look good and the b posts are bad
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

not trying to be funny but with that amount of rust think you will be keeping it £800 is way to much those ends of the sills dont look good and the b posts are bad

Not trying to be funny either, but without having seen the car for yourself you're not really in a position to comment on its value
robwsurf

Post by robwsurf »

i do car bodywork and classic car restoration as a job running my own company in leeds , and teach classic car restoration at a local college so i know what i m talking about thanks and especially with mr2 s

mk1 values arent good at the mo i should know i own one with a 2ltr turbo engine in the back i was the 6th person in the uk to build one.

and the price of parts for what you can see needs replacing is easily £400 then theres labour to do the work plus possible inner sills too floor repairs etc, new front valence etc, then cost of painting it all
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

I'm not saying that you don't know what you are talking about, or questioning your knowledge or mr2s, I'm sure you know more than I do.

But I don't see how you can make such judgements when you haven't seen the car for yourself?

I'm not sure which parts you suggest add up to £400, unless you're suggesting I buy a new rear wing from Toyota? I had a quote for the small amount of welding that is needed for £100 (this is to the a-pillar, and not the b-pillar as you suggested in an earlier post). By the way the floors and sills are solid, with only minor surface rust which could happily be painted over.

I am aware that mr2 values are low, I have no idea why, they are great cars.

If I seem a bit miffed, I must admit that I am. Your posts on this thread have surely jeopardised my chances of selling my car via IMOC, and as you can see I am only trying to be as honest as I can with the condition of the car. If you felt that I was overvaluing my mr2, why didn't you PM to advise me of my mistake, rather than posting unfounded criticism on this thread? I've always believed that IMOC was about helping each other out than trying to find fault with other members.

Neil
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

</rant off> Anyone who hasn't bee put off by the pictures or comments, the car is still available
robwsurf

Post by robwsurf »

a post is where the doors pivot from b post is the door shut which is what is rusty get it right!! and you can paint over rust but it wont go away only safe way is to replace or cut out the rust and welding new metal

rear arch repair sections arent cheap and nine times out of ten the inner arches need repairing too,
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

robwsurf wrote:b post is the door shut which is what is rusty get it right!!

Are you sure you are on the correct thread? :shock:

Are you by any chance mistaking Neil's car for the one posted in this thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98217

You mentioned the front valance, in which case I think you probably are addressing Neil's car as his plastic lower lip is all scuffed up, however the rust pics he posted are of the A pillars (just at a funny angle), just confused a bit that's all as you keep mentioning the B-pillars.

Having looked at many photos this past month or so of possible mr2s I was interested in buying, I've found that ultra close up photos of comparatively tiny rust areas look alarming in the photos.

Not that A-Pillar rust is a good thing at all but it is a very common trait I've seen on nearly all the mk1s I've looked at ranging from £500 to £1500 (even one that was up for a ridiculous £2300 had some rust there!).
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

Thanks for the support on this Paul, I did wonder if Mr robwsurf was confusing my car with another 87 mica blue one as you mentioned - I haven't even posted any pictures of my b-pillars.

I wonder if he will be humble enough to apologise?

Neil
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Noneil wrote:

Not trying to be funny either, but without having seen the car for yourself you're not really in a position to comment on its value

A car's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. When I was looking for my first mk1 I only wanted a dark mica blue one and wouldn't even have considered a red or white one even if it was in better condition. At the moment though it's a buyer's market and it seems no-one is willing to pay very much for secondhand cars! I should know, I'm trying to sell my SC at the moment too.

If your asking price is too high then you'll get no interest and will either have to decide whether to drop the asking price or keep the car. I think everyone knows this.

robwsurf's comments seem particularly rude to me as cars can look much better and/or much worse in photos - and you really need to see the car in person before making judgement on it's overall condition, particularly if you are going to make those judgements/opinions public.

noneil wrote:It is a shame, I was secretly hoping that I would be able to keep hold of it, but we secured a flat in Brighton last night, and the is NO parking particularly close, anyhting else nearby is all permit holders only, however much that costs. If I don't sell it it's going to end up sitting on my parents drive miles away not getting used at all. I'd rather sell it on to someone who can enjoy it than let it rot away.

When you move down to Brighton we should meet up for a drink! I certainly know how bad parking here can be. Parking permits are not prohibitively expensive though (maybe £100 per year?) so might be worth considering - depends what Zone it is as some zones have massive waiting lists. I'm lucky that I now live in a road with no parking restrictions so it might be worth investigating to see if there is anywhere you can park the car that's not too far away.

Andrew
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

When you move down to Brighton we should meet up for a drink! I certainly know how bad parking here can be. Parking permits are not prohibitively expensive though (maybe £100 per year?) so might be worth considering - depends what Zone it is as some zones have massive waiting lists. I'm lucky that I now live in a road with no parking restrictions so it might be worth investigating to see if there is anywhere you can park the car that's not too far away.

A drink sounds like a great idea! We're in a flat on King's Road, which is sbviously all double yellows, there were some parking bays about 5/10 minutes walk away, it's zone Z I think which is about £80 a year, but our letting agents said that the waiting list was massive . . . Hence the sale, I've got a feeling that this won't be my last mr2 :lol:

Neil
RichAW11

Post by RichAW11 »

Can't believe how bad the rear arches have gotten. They were only replaced back in July 2005. Shame you got rid of it Neil, I would of bought it back if I knew it was for sale.

Return to “MR2s for Sale”