[Mk2] [NA] Rev 1 suspension - lowering springs?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scruff

[Mk2] [NA] Rev 1 suspension - lowering springs?

Post by Scruff »

Hi folks, i've searched but don't think anyones asked this before. Maybe its a stupid question.

I've an NA rev 1 with standard suspension but want to get some lowering springs for it. The shocks were all replaced about a year ago like for like. Will i be ok going for a set of generic lowering springs i.e. ones that are for a mk2 or is there a difference in suspension fitments between revisions?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Rev 1 suspension - lowering springs?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Generic SW20 will be fine.
Scruff

Post by Scruff »

Great, thanks Peter.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Scruff.
The only thing I'd add is that possibly too low a spring won't help the longevity of standard shocks since they'd be operating outside their normal parameters. That sort of indicates only a small drop...
I'm on Teins myself but coupled with Yellow billies and the ride is err, firm (or shattering might be another description) but it does corner fabulously. From what I've gathered over my years on the forums and with my 2 the most comfortable options are the Eibachs and the Apex. TRD are said to be v comfortable but very rare. All those drop by about 25/30mm apparently but remember your own old springs will probably be a little saggy now anyway so be prepared to see very little change. At the other end of the spectrum are the Fensports (harsh with standard shocks... I know!) and finally the Teins with drops of around 37/38mm but firmest body control.
While you're about it and the suspension is going to be off consider whether top mounts etc need to be refreshed too. If so TRD heavy duty ones are cheaper than standard Toyota (though I have a feeling the fronts are no longer available for rev1s... rears are the same throughout the revs though). If you can afford it and you want to improve the cars feel go for a polybush kit as well whilst it's all in pieces. About £100 ish (make sure you get a rev1 kit as they vary between the revs) but several hours of someones time to fit but excellent at tightening everything up and transforming the cars feel (as are thicker ARBs).
It's all cost I know but if at all possible get a set of rev 2+ brakes as well at some point, lots available from cars being broken nowadays. About the best mod you can do to a rev1 so long as you have 15" wheels or larger...
Have fun with it, I hope it goes well.

R.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I've got GMax springs in my MR2 which were on my Rev1 N/A (UK) and then I took the whole lot over on to my Rev2 and now my TRD Rev2 so UK spec dampers on all. I have to say on the standard 14's the ride was perfect but when I went to 17's thats when it got firm. I am now running the lowest permitable tyre pressures to get the ride nice, something like mid 20's up front and 28 rear. I have no tyre wear issues just a nice ride and it corners better than I can.
Scruff

Post by Scruff »

I hadn't noticed the replies on here folks but thanks for the input. Both posts there have been very informative.

The suspension (both shocks and dampers) are quite new as the previous owner took a lot of care over that bit. He just let the bodywork get into a bit of a state. I lowered my old celica on PI springs and kept the original dampers and i got a good couple of years use out of them before they started to leak and so i went all the way for coilovers after. As i'm only intending on keeping the 2 until maybe the middle of next year, i don't really want to go throwing heaps of cash at it so i think just springs will be fine for me. I'll assess the top mounts and droplinks when i come to taking the shocks off. Luckily i'm in the position that the 2 is just sitting on the drive while i've got my Golf for work n that. The same goes for brakes if i'm honest, i'll just get some decent pads and make do. I know 2nd hand calipers aren't too expensive now but i'm meant to be saving for a wedding lol!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

No worries fella, hope the wedding goes well and congratulations in advance...

R

Return to “Modifications”