[Mk2] [NA] 2GR-FE conversion against 3S-GTE conversion

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Road_Rebel

[Mk2] [NA] 2GR-FE conversion against 3S-GTE conversion

Post by Road_Rebel »

Good Evening people,

Has anybody had one of these 3.5ltr v6's fitted to their 2 or perhaps driven one?

Strongly considering the idea of an engine conversion atm and i want to see whats going to give me the biggest gain in hp for money whilst keeping it reliable.
Al-sw20

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 2GR-FE conversion against 3S-GTE conversion

Post by Al-sw20 »

As I understand it in the UK. You could buy two MR2 turbos for the cost of just fitting the 2GRFE into your current car....
Road_Rebel

Post by Road_Rebel »

Well does anyone have any idea on the cost atm for someone to provide a turbo lump and fit it?

Or is there a lot more to it than that?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the 2GR will give you more power straight out of the crate and either option you will require turbo hubs / gearbox etc. The turbo motor **should** be cheaper to buy and fit but it will depend on costs overall not just the motor. www.twobrutal.co.uk has a group buy going on I think for the 2GR motor and mounts so that's your first port of call :thumleft:
a16vwn1

Post by a16vwn1 »

DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Well sorted 2nd hand rev3 Turbo full car with M.O.T and tax £2500. Whats less hassle?
craig

Post by craig »

3SGTE conversion, big potential :thumleft:
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

With the way fuel is going I would choose small displacement turbo power over big displacement N/A. With a good map (i.e. not the standard 3S GTE ECU) you could get decent power and half decent MPG. With big cubes your always going to get poor mpg even with stock power.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Super_red wrote:With the way fuel is going I would choose small displacement turbo power over big displacement N/A. With a good map (i.e. not the standard 3S GTE ECU) you could get decent power and half decent MPG. With big cubes your always going to get poor mpg even with stock power.

except the bigger motor has 10+ years more technology in it and runs on unleaded fuel rather than Super. Day to day running unleaded wins against super and fuel economy wont be that much different.

A cheap rev3 turbo will need work done on it, there's a reason these cars are cheap, if you cannot afford the running costs you wont keep it maintained either. Too many folks buy a cheap turbo then spend the same again fixing the faults that caused the car to be cheap in the first place.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

allan welsh wrote:
Super_red wrote:With the way fuel is going I would choose small displacement turbo power over big displacement N/A. With a good map (i.e. not the standard 3S GTE ECU) you could get decent power and half decent MPG. With big cubes your always going to get poor mpg even with stock power.

except the bigger motor has 10+ years more technology in it and runs on unleaded fuel rather than Super. Day to day running unleaded wins against super and fuel economy wont be that much different.

A cheap rev3 turbo will need work done on it, there's a reason these cars are cheap, if you cannot afford the running costs you wont keep it maintained either. Too many folks buy a cheap turbo then spend the same again fixing the faults that caused the car to be cheap in the first place.

If you fit a 3S GTE with an after market ECU it has bang up to date technology and wil run on 95 if thats what its mapped for. I run 95 in mine as the knock sensor will prevent problems, same with my S4, 98 for max power but 95 for normal driving. Show me any 3.5 that can do 30+mpg day to day (not including stratified injection as the 2GR-FE isnt that modern, that would be the 2GR-FSE).

Its nothing to do with not being able to afford to run it, its the justification that I probably put my foot down once every 100 miles, you only need 98 when flat out at every other time it makes no difference. I resent being accused of poor maintenance, my car gets everything it needs. It only cost £700 and did need an electrical problem fixing but its tip top.
Last edited by Super_red on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Road_Rebel wrote:Well does anyone have any idea on the cost atm for someone to provide a turbo lump and fit it?

A 3S-GTE turbo lump?

We have a mint Rev3 Turbo rear clip which we will supply and fit for £2250 all in. Drive in - drive out.

That includes air filter, exhaust, the whole lot.

Last edited by Peter Gidden on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Super_red wrote:
allan welsh wrote:

If you fit a 3S GTE with an after market ECU it has bang up to date technology and wil run on 95 if thats what its mapped for. I run 95 in mine as the knock sensor will prevent problems, same with my S4, 98 for max power but 95 for normal driving. Show me any 3.5 that can do 30+mpg day to day (not including stratified injection as the 2GR-FE isnt that modern, that would be the 2GR-FSE).

Its nothing to do with not being able to afford to run it, its the justification that I probably put my foot down once every 100 miles, you only need 98 when flat out at every other time it makes no difference. I resent being accused of poor maintenance, my car gets everything it needs. It only cost £700 and did need an electrical problem fixing but its tip top.

clearly I didn't word my answer correctly - I am not accusing you of not maintaining your car but I am saying a lot of the cheaper to buy turbo cars out there are not maintained as they should be. You got lucky, not everyone who posts on here is and you can see the threads pop up every now and then saying they need x y z for their cheaply bought car. Also, there aint many gte motors out there doing 30+mpg either so it's a mute point. Aftermarket ECU and mapping, there's another cost to add to the clip so it quickly gets into the 2GR swap price range.

Peter has a rear clip complete and has quoted an all up price so there's the benchmark for a straight turbo swap

I run 98 all the time because I don't know a fuel up in advance when I'm going to sink the right foot and when I do I want to run properly.

The OP has got to make his mind up about what he wants to do, he now has options and a price so it's down to him :thumleft:
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

Hi mate, I get 35 mpg + on a motorway run. I know a 2gr it's not everyone's cup of tea and not a cheap option. At the end of the day it's down to personal preference and your budget. We all have a blank canvas.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

The only reason fuel is so expensive in the UK is because you keep voting the people back in that tax it to heaven and back.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Al-sw20 wrote:The only reason fuel is so expensive in the UK is because you keep voting the people back in that tax it to heaven and back.

Bullsh-t :lol:

You say that like we've had a choice!

Show me any electable party's manifesto from the last 25 years that openly states that they will do away with the fuel tax escalator and act to reduce fuel duty over the long term. What with all the green nonsense any party that did that would be laughed out of Westminster!

The best we've had is the current coalition who have frozen duty increases over the past couple of years and pledged to bring in a fuel duty stabiliser which aims to keep the cost of fuel at the pump fairly static by reducing/increasing duty when the cost of fuel fluctuates.
Loque

Post by Loque »

Al-sw20 wrote:The only reason fuel is so expensive in the UK is because you keep voting the people back in that tax it to heaven and back.

Where did this come from?! Haha.

I've toyed with the idea of a V6 swap in mine, although I have to admit I was looking at the old camry lump due to the costs with a 2GR.

If I could afford it mind, I'd much the 2GR... Indeed I'd go for any six over a blown four - although that's purely personal preference - nothing to do with speed or such.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Perfo ... Curve3.jpg

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Perfo ... urves6.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... -my-V6-sup

If you can afford the 2GR, from research alone it is clearly the better engine. I can't find a single reason you would choose a 3sgte over it... that is if you can afford the conversion to begin with as it's very expensive.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

jack-p wrote:http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Perfo ... Curve3.jpg

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Perfo ... urves6.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... -my-V6-sup

If you can afford the 2GR, from research alone it is clearly the better engine. I can't find a single reason you would choose a 3sgte over it... that is if you can afford the conversion to begin with as it's very expensive.

+1 as an out the box engine it's far better
It's also more reliable than a 3sgte :thumleft:

Tuning is easier on tabbies but that's a whole different kettle of fish :lol:
Last edited by KarlBristol on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Marf

Post by Marf »

KarlBristol wrote:
Tuning is easier on tabbies but that's a whole different kettle of fish :lol:

Can you fit a decat to a tabbie? :mrgreen:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Marf wrote: