kev's beast from the far east

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: kev's beast from the far east

Post by jimGTS »

Nic wrote:Has anyone tried mounting the radiator and CC rad up front in a ducted V shape, with the airflow exiting through a sealed vent in the bonnet?

it would have to be |\ shape if looking from the passenger side for it to go through the bonnet (in addition to hacking up the frunk wall and sealing the floor).
Nic

Post by Nic »

jimGTS wrote:
Nic wrote:Has anyone tried mounting the radiator and CC rad up front in a ducted V shape, with the airflow exiting through a sealed vent in the bonnet?

it would have to be |\ shape if looking from the passenger side for it to go through the bonnet (in addition to hacking up the frunk wall and sealing the floor).

I was thinking more like this, with the radiator angled lower and the CC rad above, ducted and sealed at the front with the airflow exiting up through the bonnet vent. As you say it would require some major modification of the frunk and a sealed undertray, but it should give a bigger frontal area for the air flow through both rads and could also help with the front end aero.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

that would still require the floor to not be sealed (wheres the air going behind that rad in your pic?)

but i can see it working if both floor and bonnet where open.
rad flow like stock out the floor and cc rad flow out of bonnet
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Ok so after some thought and chatting with someone i took out in the car (they own a focus rs) we both agreed that after sitting in traffic then pulling up the open road that charge temps are 100% having an effect on performance. Even without monitoring the temps its easy to tell. We all know it will only get worse when the weather gets better or im sitting in a queue waiting to go down the strip or putting in lap after lap around the track..... So i have decided to install the side vent scoops to help pull more air into the intercooler, that should help a fair bit :whistle:

Wait folks dont slip the rope round yet I'm just kidding..... well.... sort of. I think I will install one on the intercooler side but what my main thing to do is to get a Water meth kit. This guy spoke to me about them and he has one on his focus. I like the sound of being more in control of charge temps over a charge cooler which still the ambient temp has more say in the charge temps as you are relying on air to cool the pre rad.

So for the people among us that use/used them. What is it like to run? Is it reliable? Does it need mapped into the power curve so to speak? Whats the best kit to buy?

Thanks
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Well today was d day for me lol.

Had the car on the rollers.... some bad but expected news and some good news aswell though

Made 332bhp at the fly at 1.3 bar. Inlet temps were the main culprit for me not going further. They were as expected (60ish) so just after 4k the ecu decided to take over and the curve dropped off.

Good things are for old technology, the tube is as efficient as they have seen. Vame on boost hard and didnt tail off at all through the whole range.... the cooling system is performing great, temps never moved at all during the whole process even though we moved the fan to the side vent to get more air in.

All in all im quite happy as the car is still in one piece and I know theres loads of room for improvement there

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

glad the car is still all a ok and in one piece. dyno time is never easy!

though looking at the numbers, seems like pretty high transmission losses.
i would be tempted to go on a dyno like dyno dynamics to see what its really making.
boost/afr graphs?

because talking power at the wheels alone, most gen3s put down 245-260 at the wheels with a stock engine and stock turbo at 1.2bar.
that graph shows you making 262 at the wheels and barely 260lb of torque at 1.3bar on i assume the 3076 :? or you running the stock turbo?

something cant be right here, with max torque at 6100 and only 260lb?

and revving to 8700rpm, that safe?

the dip in the graph, i can only assume is either a boost spike leveling out (boost control could use a tweaking), or cars coming into knock/det so timing being pulled in that area.

all in all, all rather confusing to me anyhow.
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Yeah its a 3076. Boost was bang on all the way through the run. I have that on the other graph. Afr was down to just under 10 at parts and yeah its definately pulling timing and holding back due to inlet temps. Think this is what is causing it

Transmission losses were quite high I thought aswell but they said something about it being alot of load on the back due to being tied down hard

I have addressed the limiter issue already as i didnt like that. Like you say dyno time is not easy.. especially when the thing just kept revving lol
ashley

Post by ashley »

Did they ask you where you wanted the rev limiter to kick in? I'd be spitting feathers if they rev'd my engine to almost 9k without checking first!

Get a decent charge cooling system on there and you're all set, certainly looks like it starts off well till the timing gets pulled :thumleft:

Good progress!
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

No they never i didnt know they should have... will keep that in mind though.

Yeah im not sure if should wither go charge cooler or water meth lol

Thanks
ashley

Post by ashley »

In my opinion you're better off solving your cooling problem with either a decent inter-cooler (but that means boot mount), or with a charge cooler. Water/ meth injection can be great- but personally I wouldn't rely on it...I'd use it as well as a decent base set up.

The issue with charge cooling is the additional complexity (so stuff to fail and go wrong), and the extra weight (water and a pump).

Compared to that an intercooler is certainly more reliable, but I'm not convinced you can ever maximise the performance of one by mounting it in the boot out of the main airflow. That and I hate the convoluted long inlet/ boost pipe runs that are required.

That's why I chose a charge cooler- you get to take advantage of the huge cooling effect of frontal airflow for the car, and to minimise the length of the inlet tract.

It is a tough decision though, and people have great results using both set ups....good luck in making a decision!!
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Ordered a set of side vent scoops to aid the airflow up through the engine bay, especially the intercooler side. After some thought, on the rolling road there is no way that the intercooler was getting the same airflow as it would on the road at 70mph, when i go back they said the will rig up another fan to help this, providing i give them enough notice

Rev limiter is now 7400 :)

I think I will get a progressive water meth kit and run it with my current setup, if this doesnt give me my desired goal, I will ditch the intercooler and buy a charge cooler but still run the water meth. I am also going to install a couple engine bay fans on the lid. I totally forgot about these.

To be quite honest. The car is mad enough at this power. 400 is going to be more than enough lol
Russellg86

Post by Russellg86 »

Holy s%*t that's some awesome work there Kev :thumleft:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Cheers man. Plenty more to go yet 8)
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Done a log in 3rd gear today. This is what I got in terms of A/F ratio, IMO the map is moving down to the bottom (high load) far too quickly. Running a little rich aswell.

Highest knock reading was 35 at 6000rpm. There is nothing else above 20 anywhere else.

Basic PIM Volt was 4722 which is obviously where highest boost reading was (1.7bar @ 4400 rpm) This tailed off to 1.63 though at same time knock increased (6000rpm)

Max injector duty was 80% but it was only at 50% as soon as I came on full boost?

Air temp 25, water temp 82,

kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Well the cars been in and mapped this morning. Was in at HQ. Russ is a top bloke and did a great job

Car made 290whp at 1.45 bar. Dyno didnt do flywheel power but he reckons its around 350ish.

The good thing is that the map is very conservative and not in the slightest bit agressive in terms of timing. Fuel duty is only at 60%. But in terms of how the car feels it is so much different to before. Whole lot better in mid range and pulls really hard up top.

Engine is bang on which i am really glad about as it was myself that built it lol but on a serious note, It was a bit emotional for me seeing everything go as well as it did on something i have poured so much time, money and effort into. I think when i seen the improvements being made on the dyno and my car was responding so well to every little thing it really sank in that its more than just a car to me now.

Theres loads more to go but we decided to leave it there as charge temps were creeping up to over 50. Got some good advice on things to change and make some improvements etc but I am really over the moon with it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Excellent man, was this with the sidemount still? I know you bought a few bits for the CC setup. Top work either way man!
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

This is still with the sidemount setup. Still got some parts for the CC setup to collect so think il enjoy summer first with it the way it is and go from there.

Got another slight issue though with the wastegate leaking. The 2 bolts keep loosening off so fixing that just now
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Excellent numbers in that case mate!! Ach you'll iron out these wee niggles in time, put an extra nut on them if there's room :thumleft:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Sorted wastegate etc out and seems to be fine. Got a funny feeling it cost me on the dyno though :(

Anyway finally got round to taking a snap of the printout

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Looking great :thumleft:
I need to get a nosey around your car sometime :lol:

Return to “Member Profiles”