kev's beast from the far east

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kev8611

kev's beast from the far east

Post by kev8611 »

Had my 2 for well over a year now and never put a single picture up (apologies). Quite a bit work has went into it over that time.

Here it is when I bought it back in September 2013. Totally original with nothing done to it, picked it up for good money in Luton and it made the 450 mile journey back up the hills to its new home without a hitch, I was very happy with it at this point.... but, as every other red blooded male into cars does, I was already pondering what to do next.

Little clean up, some import plates, clear fronts on and side repeaters moved from rub strips

This is pretty much how the car stayed until this happened.

I was not that dissapointed as my plans were to build a fully forged 400+bhp weapon anyway so the shopping started
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: kev's beast from the far east

Post by Ryan S »

Tuned in Kev :thumleft:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Bought some cp 86.25's and got the block stripped and painted. This was the result before building started

Was waiting on this arriving while building. Was almost as excited as the day I bought the car. ATS GT3076r

kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Sorry for doing this in bits.

Other mods followed. Apexi power fc, apexi gt exhaust, sard 800's, uprated intercooler etc etc.

Had it up and running but was not 100% happy so stripped down and replaced rings with some total seals. Massive difference.

Current state of play is that its fully built now and going like a train. Got a mapping session to do soon to see what it can make.

Trying to keep it looking as stealth as possible on the outside

synXero

Post by synXero »

kev8611 wrote:bought it back in September 2013. Totally original with nothing done to it, picked it up for good money in Luton and it made the 450 mile journey back up the hills to its new home without a hitch

Funny, end of September 2013 is when I bought the Vette as well. I got it in Lincolnshire though so had about 100miles less driving home to do!

Your project looks ace :thumleft: Any brakes/chassis/suspension work?
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I have done the front brakes mate. Just brembo hc's and ebc pads. The rears were new when i bought the car.

Suspension is on the cards next. A nice set of BC's then polybush it i think. Will be used on the track so it makes sense. Good tyres are a must now aswell

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Lovely looking build, you really need to get rid of that side mount I/C though, it is going to cost you losts of bhp, especially once the weather warms up...
A radtec chargecooler would be a minimum if you are looking at keeping the inlet temps down for more power. Just thought it's worth a mention before spending your hard earned on mapping :wink:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Martin F wrote:Lovely looking build, you really need to get rid of that side mount I/C though, it is going to cost you losts of bhp, especially once the weather warms up...
A radtec chargecooler would be a minimum if you are looking at keeping the inlet temps down for more power. Just thought it's worth a mention before spending your hard earned on mapping :wink:

Yeah your probably right. It has been playing on my mind for the last few weeks. How do i go about monitoring my inlet temps?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

kev8611 wrote:
Martin F wrote:Lovely looking build, you really need to get rid of that side mount I/C though, it is going to cost you losts of bhp, especially once the weather warms up...

Yeah your probably right. It has been playing on my mind for the last few weeks. How do i go about monitoring my inlet temps?

I have spent a lot on mapping over the years and come across several issues with temps on several different coolers.
the greddy will no doubt bottleneck around 270 rwhp, give or take, and that is on an average summers day, a hot one and you are asking for trouble....

I have seen the radtech handle 400-460 bhp fwhp and st205 around 360 fwhp.

what kind of power would you be hoping to get ?

I bought a 3" thick evo intercooler, the inlet/outlet are centered, going down. I am going to experiment with 60% of it protruding from the rear boot lid, therefore keeping the pipes to a minimum and going for practicality before aesthetics, wasted too much over the years fault finding and not listening to other people advising me.

Inlet temps are best with their own standalone system, taking a reading from the Toyota sensor is very poor and is slow to respond. the mapper will have a standalone and be able to track temps as they happen though.
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

If i can achieve 400 i will be happy.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

kev8611 wrote:If i can achieve 400 i will be happy.

you won't get that with the small side mount, best to get it right first time round , I have seen radtech systems go for around £300-£350, give or take, would probably suit your needs best. :-k

Try searching the forum, it has been talked about many times over the years, there is a lot of good advice around on the subject... :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Awesome :thumleft:

Enjoyed reading through that there.

I've seen just shy of 500hp (genuine) on an mr2 using a greddy side mount.. 400 won't be an issue at all.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
2mad

Post by 2mad »

With an ebay cooler go water/meth injection .,. or boot mount 8-[ and w/m its a great addition :thumleft:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Thanks guys.

The beauty of it is I have done (nearly) everything myself. Just the block boring wasnt. It was given to the machine shop. But I must say, credit is due to alot of people on here who have given me parts, advice, motivation etc to get it to where it is today. I am grateful to everyone and will always give something back to others if I can.

I now own my dream car and dont think I will ever get rid of it. It has sentimental value to me now. I have been through alot of stress with building it, then taking it to bits. Late nights with my head in a book doing sums and working out clearances and sorts. Then putting it into the engine. All this while buying and sorting a house at the tail end of last year. So the better half has been through alot too :)

I know its not the best example and theres not alot to show for it here, however, as alot of peeps on here will know, theres alot of work involved doing it on your own. but its mines, and I am proud of what I achieved with it and it shows every time I drive it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Good for you man, i never realised you did all the work! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at some point!
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Yeah mate you will see it pretty soon :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

kev8611 wrote:Yeah mate you will see it pretty soon :)

Ha, excellent, i'll try and pop over this week at some point!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

GeorgeL wrote:Awesome :thumleft:

I've seen just shy of 500hp (genuine) on an mr2 using a greddy side mount.. 400 won't be an issue at all.

what were the ambient temps and what turbo were you using ?

I have had 5 separate mapping sessions, (3 fixing other issues not realising it was the intercooler at fault) , all with the same results. The core is so small it doesn't cool the air and then heat soaks very quickly, just my experiences mind...
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Martin F wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:Awesome :thumleft:

what were the ambient temps and what turbo were you using ?

I have had 5 separate mapping sessions, (3 fixing other issues not realising it was the intercooler at fault) , all with the same results. The core is so small it doesn't cool the air and then heat soaks very quickly, just my experiences mind...

It was a friends car but he was using a GT3082R with greddy side mount and aquamist hsf2 water meth kit (this would ofcourse help with charge temps)

Ambient I couldn't tell you but it wouldn't have been super cold anyways given the time of year and where it was mapped.

The set up was on it's absolute limit though, I'll admit that much but it was left like that to retain the boot. It's since been changed to BMIC to get the extra capability out of it.

You are correct in what you say though, it's not the most efficient set up by any means... Could be done better ofcourse. Then again, most things in life could lol
Last edited by GeorgeL on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Well its a learning curve for me now. I have the basics. Unfortunately my budget wouldnt allow for the £900 to buy the system from Rogue. Yeah ok I understand we cant build proper cars on a cheap budget etc but if its gonna give me an extra 100 whp over my intercooler then fair enough it may be worth it. But if I can make decent power safely with what I have now then it will do for now and I will look at making up my own chargecooler.

I want to keep the boot and dont want to be cutting holes in what is a mint 100% rust free shell so the bootmount os out the window.

Going back to the chargecooler. Is 100 whp more a realistic amount to gain from installing one over what I have?

Return to “Member Profiles”