IMOC & Mk1 Club Trackday - 13th September 2008

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ekona

Re: IMOC & Mk1 Club Trackday - 13th September 2008

Post by Ekona »

BenF wrote:Dan, no problem - yep, see you there. You fancy joining us for food afterwards?

Can't do food as I've got plans for afterwards, but thanks anyway.

See you tomorrow! :D
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

when they say no loose items, will they check the boot and glove box.
I have two fold down chairs in the boot am i best taking them out, along with the spare oil and coolant in the front?
vix

Post by vix »

Yeah definitely take the stuff out, if only to stop it clonking about when you corner at speed :D

If you're bothered about leaving it anywhere, leave it with me, I'm not going very far :D
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

was going to ask if there's anywhere to dump stuff as i doubted there'd be pits, could do with dumping the tool kits and tireweld somewhere
vix

Post by vix »

What we do at the sprints is take a tarp and cover the stuff over if it's wet.

If anyone wants to leave stuff near me though then it's not a problem. Going to try and see if they'll let me be a passenger but will have parentals about to watch stuff most of the day if I'm in the car.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

afennell wrote:when they say no loose items, will they check the boot and glove box.
I have two fold down chairs in the boot am i best taking them out, along with the spare oil and coolant in the front?

Adam, I think they're more worried about stuff that may fly around inside the car if you have a spin out on the track.

FWIW though I'd remove stuff you're not going to use from the car - so extra coolant, oil, toolkits etc.

Vix - May take you up on your offer of keeping an eye on stuff out there :+:
turbomax

Post by turbomax »

i was there in the celica :thumleft: good to see a few mr2s on the track pity that tasty blue one had a bit of a prang. now i have gone gt4 i am in no hurry to fix the 2. hope you all had a good day :clap:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Agreed, brilliant day and good to meet you all :thumleft:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Great day, thank you everyone. :thumleft:

Loved it.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Brilliant day, I have some vids from later in the day. I'll sort them out tomorrow and get them hosted :thumleft:

I know I have some of Ben, Jo and John. Not sure on the rest of you, depends if you were out at the time.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

turbomax wrote:i was there in the celica :thumleft: good to see a few mr2s on the track pity that tasty blue one had a bit of a prang. now i have gone gt4 i am in no hurry to fix the 2. hope you all had a good day :clap:

I think you most be one of the few people i did not get time to talk to.
How did the gt4 feel out there.
Looked a very nice motor.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Gutted i could not make this. :cry:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
turbomax

Post by turbomax »

i only live 10 miles away so i go up there a lot as its on every month. been up in mr2 an old golf gti track car i had and my gt4 the 4 covers ground quickly and i have no fears about her steeping out or losing it very very stable. just nned to stick a few deg of camber on my current set up then it should cure the slight understeer :thumleft: cheers max
vix

Post by vix »

I had a great day even though I was just spectating. Parents enjoyed it too, thanks to everyone for making them feel welcome :)

For those who I was explaining my leg to, here's the xray:

CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

Big thanks to everyone who helped organise today and it was nice to meet some more of you, was a wicked day, didn't think it was possible to get an na that sideways that much and great to find a trackday not full of practicing racers,
My thumbs are sore from fighting the steering wheel, front tyres now have flat spots from a big lock up, orange oil light was coming and going on the way home and i'm knackered with 7.5 hours work left, other than that still well chuffed :D
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Just made it home and in spite of the horrendous traffic in London and the less than ideal start to my first trackday (it was my blue car that span off into the bushes :oops:) I had a fantastic day. Thankfully it appears just to be panel work and trim. I think that may be the last time I book 'instruction' on a trackday though!

HUGE thanks go again to Garrick, Ben and Phil for the commando surgery on my ding that meant I could continue with the day and get home afterwards, plus the encouragement from everyone just to get back out there again. It would have been a grim day without your help guys'n'gals.

Great to see everyone and meet some new faces.

:thumleft:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Hi All,

A good day, great to be out on track in the Roadster again - you just can't drive the car the same way on public roads, and its really good fun finding out again how playful it is.

The Trackday Mk1s were very quick and impressive, Jo keeping up with Caterhams according to stories we heard over the meal :) and I think the MR2s did well overall.

I have to say though that this isn't a Traditional 'airfield' day with lots of open run-off available as - the airstrip looks to have been left to return to nature around 15-20 years ago, so there were large ~8ft high bushes of Budlia and the occasional small silver birch which meant the number of corners to 'experiment' with was lower than I thought.

I had ~20 minutes after lunch to take some quick snaps of those going past at the time - Video is currently being played into the PC:

The Granada looked very entertaining :

And a few others:

Last edited by BenF on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

vix wrote:I had a great day even though I was just spectating. Parents enjoyed it too, thanks to everyone for making them feel welcome :)

Vix - Ouch! Hope you make a speedy recovery :+: and get back behind the wheel of a MK1 again soon :)
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

My only photo of the day :lol:

BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Lump Hammer, T-Cut, Bodykit and Rattle cans of paint - sorted :+:

But more seriously though - I was disappointed / annoyed that with a qualified instructor something like this could happen.

Hope you manage to get it sorted OK - might be worth asking here to see if anyone can help you with parts you need?

Return to “Past Events”