At last,3 years on... 393hp@8200rpms' is this a little low?!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Re: At last,3 years on... 393hp@8200rpms' is this a little low?!

Post by Owen @ Kent Car Craft »

The exhaust side of the turbo is covered in a wrap.
I will remove it at the weekend and check to see what spec we have.
I am not picking holes or destroying work,but simply trying to find out what the problems are and how to solve them.
I will also make moves to wrap the entire exhaust to the back box as this is directly above the intake for the fans to the IC.
The IC is shrouded off completely from the the trunk atmosphere.
I agree james,no high performance/tuned car of any make hits the no's staright away on 1st dyno,there are always learning curves/complications.
I think i will also have some piping made up to lay a new IC flat on the floor rather than up against the rear panel.
The air speed through the IC seems quite high though.
so,with a combo of the list of things i can change,is it likely that i will see another 100hp+ 1krpms earlier,i like to think so as its adding up in favour of the ic temps+timing.
Chris

Post by Chris »

If it's an Extreme boost GT30 the exhaust is custom. Andy F found this out the other day. GT30 compressor and GT35 exhaust. Good for 2.5 BAR according to turbo dynamics.
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gigantic-Intercoo ... dZViewItem
is this a little cheap.i think for the size of it,it cannot help but improve my temps.
I'm only speculating at the mo,im off to turkey in a week so i may scrounge and order something up then,it looks as if it may match up to my existing IC piping with a few mods.
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

O'k,
I have just been photographising (is that a real word?) the IC set-up,
I was told,when doing a few local motorway runs,that people could see the very foremost part of my exhaust glowing visibly from the car behind,i know this is common on turbocharged cars and with an exhaust routing as short as my custom,it may well be visible.
With that in mind,check the photo's,i reckon the fans are sucking an awful lot of hot air from the exhaust.
I'm assuming this will be a major factor in the intake temps also..
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Pm'd you Elmo!!
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
jonno

Post by jonno »

It sounds like the wastegate spring isnt strong enough to me, I know Andy had to run two in his to get decent boost control. I think he ran one inside the other. If the spring isnt strong enough the wastegate will get pushed open.

Also, you need to be aiming for inlet temps of 40 degrees, maybe even 30 this time of year. Personally I would just go straight for a CC setup, I have NEVER seen an IC, however it was mounted, provide anything more than average cooling in an MR2.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

I have been recieving ~40 when driving,but have been told this is too high?
It peaked 65 on the dyno.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

what do your inlet temps sit at when cruising on the motorway - 70 mph or so, just enough throttle to keep its speed static. From my trunk mount, temps are lowest in this situation and are in the low 30's on my car. (don't know what it's like in cooler weather, the setup has only been since end of July.)

At York raceway last weekend, my highest recorded temp was in the mid 40's after sitting in traffic waiting for a run, needless to say, it dropped once i was moving.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gigantic-Intercoo ... dZViewItem
is this a little cheap.i think for the size of it,it cannot help but improve my temps.
I'm only speculating at the mo,im off to turkey in a week so i may scrounge and order something up then,it looks as if it may match up to my existing IC piping with a few mods

I have just brought one of these for my boot mount setup, build quality is top notch and the size of the thing should be more than ample for our engine.

Neil - i think jekylandhyde have had pretty impressive inlet temp drops with their boot mount ic on a cheap core so it can be done!!
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Just throwing this thread into the equation also if anyone can provide any opnions,i posted on this thread also.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=203441
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Owen,

How were they getting air to your IC on the dyno?

Maybe better off ocnidering a road tune.
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

i told him that over on the mr2oc.com forym where he's posted up aswell.

as the last time i took my car to a rolling road to be mapped the RR was slightly sunk into the gound which ment airflow under the car was parctically zero! no use for a IC set up that relies on air coming under the car and up into the boot. got i mapped on the road and the difference in recorded intake temps were enormous. 62 degrees peak on the RR, 41 Degrees peak on the road (running .3bar more boost on the road aswell)
tops

Post by tops »

that is a low figure for that blower, i'd expect it to come on strong about 5k as the a/r on comp side is .70, what size is it on the turbine? if its the .82 you could always go to the .63 should boost about 500rpm less its a straight swap costs about £280+vat for a exhaust housing, try reyland,
im running a gt30r which is .60 on comp with .63 on turbine which is the smallest one to choose from, i made 450 at the fly at 1.8 at 6200rpm with spools from under 2000rpm and 1.8 by 3800 to 4000 stays on power through all gears.
Chris

Post by Chris »

tops wrote:that is a low figure for that blower, i'd expect it to come on strong about 5k as the a/r on comp side is .70, what size is it on the turbine? if its the .82 you could always go to the .63 should boost about 500rpm less its a straight swap costs about £280+vat for a exhaust housing, try reyland,
im running a gt30r which is .60 on comp with .63 on turbine which is the smallest one to choose from, i made 450 at the fly at 1.8 at 6200rpm with spools from under 2000rpm and 1.8 by 3800 to 4000 stays on power through all gears.

And that's why I choose the smallest one too :mrgreen:
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

I have been sold a Garrett GT3040 with a 0.6 A/R and 56trim,but i'm going to take the unit off saturday and check for sure,i'll post the results.
Dont get me wrong,when it spools,i'm off and no mistake!
I'm also going to make some moves to try and improve cooling moreso.
Enis+Splash+ Scotia:I had the car dynoed on an RR but they cleaned it up on the road,where they did notice a ~15deg drop in ambients.
Tops:Yes its a low figure at the moment,there are a number of things we have to fine-tune and alter to get the best from the system.
tops

Post by tops »

good luck with it mate, im sure it will all come good in the end :wink:
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Hey Elmo,

I spent SH** load on my car. When all work was finished, got it on the rolling road for mapping and the power dropped back to 230 BHP and they couldnt get anymore cos intake temps kept rising. Extremely P***** off. I left it with them to sort out and said "dont think of returning it until it produces atleast 350," its now up to 350 bhp and rising.

As the 3S service centre chap said. Give the tuner a break. If you got 393 first time out, leave it with them and they have it where you want it before long !
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Hey peeps!!
Ok,sundays RR day has shown up an array of detail and ideas about my set-up and Tune.
I made 400fwhp =D>
The fuelling went way off the scale at 9:1 past ~6krpm's due to an overly safe tune. :evil:
There is a load of potential in the car due to missing loads of ign. at the top end (also due to safety)
:-k
I have ordered a hee-uuuge intercooler for my trunk to be fitted before the weekend(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... IBSA:UK:31) of bar and plate design. in a bid to lower my ridiculous intake temps which reached above 55deg on the day.(thats including the very state of the art and efficient blowers in the dyno room at P.T.)
Rob at Perfect touch mentioned the turbo is well suited to the engine and build,its the tune whichj is holding it back.
I am reserving opinion for the meantime on any tuning of the car until its properly finished,i have spent enough money already.
I will keep you guys posted.
FOr anyone who wants to see the vid of the run..
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/El ... 0_0320.flvand please take into account how loud this really is,the microphone on the camera does NOT do it justcie at all.
Enjoy
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Rob also mentioned with the IC being more efficient,he can produce at least 80hp at the same boost level easily.
I'm on the edge of my seat.
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

hope all goes well for you owen , seemed to be a good eyeopener at perfect touch
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

sounds about right buddy, 80bhp and abit of of a play would produce the 500bhp i would exspect from that turbo.

Wish you all the best.

Tim
xxxx

Return to “Modifications”