t-bar or hard top

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

Re: t-bar or hard top

Post by RyanRs »

screech wrote:tintop turbos have a strut bar as standard. and the t-bars are NOT as rigid as a tintop. t-bar for the poser, tintop for the driver ;)

[-X But not everyone is going to rag the boobs off there car on every bend they meet!! the slight extra stiffness of a tin top would only benifit someone using the car as a full time race car!

Dont T-bars hold there value better too ?
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

RyanRs wrote:
screech wrote:tintop turbos have a strut bar as standard. and the t-bars are NOT as rigid as a tintop. t-bar for the poser, tintop for the driver ;)

[-X But not everyone is going to rag the boobs off there car on every bend they meet!! the slight extra stiffness of a tin top would only benifit someone using the car as a full time race car!

Dont T-bars hold there value better too ?

Right on both counts. and i currently own both t-bar and tintop turbos and like to drive hard.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

I believe that in the real world with two identical mk2 MR2’s, one a T-bar, one a tin top I bet the difference in handling, drive and overall feel would be on the whole virtually identical to MOST drivers.
I'm pretty sure if there was an imoc poll set-up, the stats would show an approximate 70/30 bias in favour of owning a T-bar over a tintop SW20.

:cheers:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Setup a Poll! :D
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

RyanRs wrote:Setup a Poll! :D

What would be the point? Rowland makes a fair point, but a poll wouldn't show the result of 'What do you prefer?' but 'What do you own?' as per nearly all the polls on here. If someone prefers the T-bar MR2, they're hardly likely to own a hardtop version (unless they bought the car by 'mistake') and vice versa.

The whole thing is down to personal preference and/or previous experience.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Muttley »

Tin top all the way - look better, stiffer, don't leak or rattle, and not quite so hairdressery! :wink:
skytek

Post by skytek »

I have a t-bar and while I do enjoy going roofless in the summer I would definately prefer a tintop. Reason number one is the obvious leak problem which is rather annoying at times, although this winter I've had only slight drips now and then. The other reason is that as these cars are so low, and the roof can be seen so easily when standing up, I think the smooth surface of the tintop looks much more tidy than the panels and rubber seals of the t-bar version. I also feel the t-bar give thieves that extra little chance of breaking in, through the roof.
Dave_Gat

Post by Dave_Gat »

I like the T-Bar (hence i bought one) but never had a tin top.

Prefer T-bar on dark coloured cars as they blend in better when on. Driving with top down is great.

Not worried about (the probably) slight handling loss as I not likely to be on a track more than a few times. Mine has occasionally leaked but a reasonably regular coat of silicon grease stops it.

Regards

Dave Gatland
MkII (NA) rev4
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

T-bar for me!

I've had a UK n/a one (leaked) and now have a jap tubby (drizabone!) and would never go for the tintop. I'm one of those who believes those few days a year that the roof come off are worth it.

For an interesting comparison with a visually rather similar car (hmmm...any coincidence there Mr. T??? :-k ), which version of the Ferrari (OK you purists, 'Dino') 246 is the most sought after: the GT tintop or GTS targa top?

I rest my case :wink:
Displacement

Post by Displacement »

Hi

Picking up my t-bar next Sat,

not keen for the leaks - how you get round that?

Cheers

Displacement
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

You might be lucky and have one that seals properly!

You can try a few things if it does leak a bit.

1) it's obvious, but make sure all the sealing rubber is really clean

2) get some silicon lubricant to rejuvenate the seals. You can buy it from Halfrauds - it's to stop squeaky window seals etc. Just spray it on liberally to the sealing strip, leave as long as possible for it to soak in (a few hours pref.), then wipe away the excess

3) order some eccentric rod guides for your roof panels from toyota. I'm sure there's a thread about them on here somewhere if you want to search for it. They essentially tighten up the slack from years of flexing and help it to seal better.

Hope that helps!
EarL

Post by EarL »

I have a T-Bar. It doesn't leak at all, and because I regularly maintain the T-Bar rubbers with silicone spray, it doesn't creak either.

Bring on the summer.

*sings* Let the sun shine in...

...I'll get my coat. :clown:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

I drove both a T bar Turbo and Tintop Turbo when i was buying a few months back,

I chose the Tintop! It was quicker, and handled better.

If your going to pose then there is no point in getting the Turbo :D

Nick
Redrummo

Post by Redrummo »

I have a T-bar. happy to report no leaks either.

Its great when the roofs off - I can really here the exhaust howl! \:D/ 8)

I wouldnt say the t-bar sections are easy to store (takes a little time to take both sections out) they dont go very easily into the car behind the seats. you have to be careful to avoid scrapes. (they fit in boot easier).
but a glass panel is still a glass panel - be careful!
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

T-bar here too, and no leaks. Yes I get rattles but I have a loud exhaust or the stereo for that :wink:

As for rigidity, I have the Pheonix Power chassis strengthening kit, kinda looks like a roll cage but isn't. Was designed especially for the t-bar and dials out any real flexing due to the roof panels missing.

The only downside I know is when the tops are out and the windows down, the exhaust can be a bit loud. Largely due to 3" downpipe and NUR spec, but it can get a bit much.

T-bar still my preference though, and generally more sought after at resale ?

Matt
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hard top/sunroof for me anyday over a t-bar.

Started off with a t-bar which initially I thought was great and it was providing you didn't go over 30mph.

I soon found the buffeting particuarly tiring very quickly on any long motorway type journey, not to mention i tended to look like i had been dragged through a hedge backwards.

In the end i never removed the panels and always had the sunshades in as othewise it was like being in a greenhouse and i didn't like it that everyone could see in.

I think as a 'halfway' house between hardtop and convertible it falls short of what it sets out to achieve. I had an MX5 for a while and that had hardly any buffeting in comparison to a t-bar MR2.

Since then i've had two sunroofed model which suits me fine as the sunroof is usable, quiet and convenient in tilt mode. Also its obviously stiffer chassis wise and a bit lighter to boot.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”