t-bar or hard top

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stu148

t-bar or hard top

Post by stu148 »

t-bar or hard top and why ???
Rowland

Re: t-bar or hard top

Post by Rowland »

T-Bar.

Why have beef when you can have steak?

:wink:
Mr_T(bar)

Post by Mr_T(bar) »

=D> WHAT HE JUST SAID =D>

:mrgreen: Darren (today out cruising WAS EXCELLENT!) :lol:
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Quite a popular debate of which there is plenty of info if you use the search facility above. It's really down to personal choice at the end of the day

Thread here that might help:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... t=tbar+top
stu148

Post by stu148 »

thats proper f**ked my head up now
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

LOL,

You could always get a Roadster and a hard top ;)

Had a Mk2 with T-Bars - great for summer, remove the T-Tops and drop the windows - I have some really great memories of crusing around on Holiday.

The Roadster I've got at the moment is very good - soft top down, windows up and rear wind splitter and there's less wind buffeting in the 'cabin' space than in the Mk2 T-Bar.

My Trackday Mk1 is a Coupe with a sunroof - the only +ve is that is you're a handling purist having a coupe or tin-top will make the car stiffer and give you slightly better feedback. It will also be marginally lighter ...

All things considered ... tough one. Buy a Roadster and Turbo it :twisted:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i have a t-bar, i leak, wish i'd got a coupe :)
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

i've had a t-bar, and a tin top-what have i got now????

the tin top :wink:

buy a motorbike for summer :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

T bar!!

But then I would say that :mrgreen:
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Tin top all the way, chassis's stiffer on tubbys aparently and it's just as cool in the summer with the aircon 8)
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm on my third MR2 (one T-bar, and two hardtops) and really can't see the attraction of the T-bar anymore. There appears to be some sort of fantasy about driving about with the wind in your hair on a summer's day and/or posing with the roof off, when the reality is just an endless string of posts on here about their T-bars leaking in the winter.

When I had a T-bar roof, I'd hear creaking around the bottom of the windscreen on hard cornering, not to mention the regular rubber rejuve and wet seat/floor pan. The glass used to come out less and less as I was just too much faffing about (not to mention the risk of scratches or smashing the actual glass) - who was it that drove over (and smashed) one of their T-bar glasses at JAE2003?

The hardtop Vs T-Bar thread often pops up every couple of months or so. :D

Understandably, I prefer the hardtop. :D Each to their own, though!
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by D3xt3r »

T-Bar all the way...

I just like crusing along in the summer evening...
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Had my T-bar for over 3 years and it was fantastic. loved it for posing in the summer, and the fact you can really hear roar of the engine at low speeds with the roof off. looking at the stars at night through the roof is cool as well (and the girlies like it).

Downsides are the creaks and rattles and leaks (all of which only become apparent in the winter) and the way you are buffeted around at speeds of 100+mph

Recently bought a tintop rev3 as ive got over the need to pose and was sick of the leaks as well. Plus my girlfriend moaned about the roof being off as it messed up her hair :roll:

To be honest i cant feel a massive difference in handling, certainly nothing that a pair of strut braces wouldnt fix.

All in all, go with your heart. if you want the roof off feeling and like to pose then go for the t-bar, if not then the tintop is great too.

HTH

DannyW
alan mc

Post by alan mc »

stu148 wrote:t-bar or hard top and why ???

The T bar is an added reason to buy this great car. The tintop is obviously a great car but the T bar is even greater. 8) :) [/img]
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

ducatichick wrote:i've had a t-bar, and a tin top-what have i got now????

the tin top :wink:

buy a motorbike for summer :mrgreen:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
terminater2_uk

Post by terminater2_uk »

I had a T-bar for 3 years then changed to a tin top, couldnt wait to get back to a T-bar. No comparison.
screech

Post by screech »

if i wanted a car that creaked and leaked i'd have bought a french car ;), instead i bought a tintop, well bought 2 tintops.

i don't like the lines of the t-bar, just doesn't look as nice imo, i bought my cars for fun, not to pose :)
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

I personally recon the T-Bar is the better version to the Tintop, as it is exactly the same, yet has the posing ability should you want to use it, and has a rear strut brace as std :P dont really flex any more than a tintop neither. feels less confined too.. and its kinda romantic, being able to park up with ur Gf and gaze at the stars on a nice clear nite :P hehe!

juz my 2 pittence :P
screech

Post by screech »

tintop turbos have a strut bar as standard. and the t-bars are NOT as rigid as a tintop. t-bar for the poser, tintop for the driver ;)
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Better looking roof and easier to wax :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”