Best lowering road springs for Koni dampers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Best lowering road springs for Koni dampers

Post by CalMac »

My front springs (unknown, bought them used) are a little worn out and I need new top mounts anyway so am going to replace them at the same time.

I'd like to retain the same amount of lowering though - the front have about 20-25mm of arch gap at the moment.

The usual choices are Apex, Eibach, H&R and Tein it seems - I found the front Eibachs to be way too high and from what I've heard the Teins are best reserved for track use - so which are preferable out of the Apex and H&R? (or other options..?)

I'm running Eibach rear springs and they're pretty comfortable, handle well etc. at a nice height.

All the Koni inserts are relatively new, about 6k miles probably, and I've got some coilovers too but don't want to use them on this car.
pbmr2

Re: Best lowering road springs for Koni dampers

Post by pbmr2 »

Many people want the extra drop of the -30 or -40mm so they go with the Apex. Not heard many people say they don't like them.

I've gone the other way and have ordered H&R springs which are only -20mm. I'll report back as to how they are.
Asked a few times if anyone has any feedback but no one posted anything. I suspect people want more of a drop than -20.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Yeah I imagine they're similar to the front Eibachs then if that's the case. They rode nicely but I just couldn't get on with the looks - every time I came out to the car I grimaced haha

I've noticed that there seem to be a few versions of the H&R springs on Ebay though, some offering a 30/35mm drop?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Beware ebay!
The -30mm springs are for the mk3, NOT the mk2.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

You're right, my mistake! I was looking at a set from Germany which didn't list which mk they were for ](*,)
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

My car is a daily so don't want it slammed as far as it will go. Speed humps and trips to the alps in the snow would be a headache at -40mm.

Our old rev 1 used to clip things and ground out fairly often at -40, can't be dealing with it. Never tried the -30 springs from apex, but they might be a middle ground.

Should have mine very soon (delivery date was yesterday! didn't turn up yet) so will take pics and do before and after shots and measurements. Most likley not going to install till next weekend.
Then you can see and make a better informed choice.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

this is my rev1 on new standard shocks and apex springs
Wheels are on 205 45 16

pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

apex -40mm or the -30mm?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

This is how mine sits on stock suspension. Think the front has sagged over the years.

abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

My apex are 30mm drop but when I fitted them I got a lift as my old springs were very sagged. I had old set of black billies and standard turbo springs on there.
This pic below is the old sagged springs

And thinking about it the first pic I posted was on 205 50 16 not 45 profile that I'm running now. I had a slight rubbing issue on full lock with the 50 on those wheels.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

yeah looking at that, I suspect my -20 springs will raise my arch gap by about 10mm. Who knows, next week all will be revealed.

mine doesn't look to have sagged quite as much as your old setup, but your -30 looks about what mine looks like now.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

abovetherim wrote:this is my rev1 on new standard shocks and apex springs
Wheels are on 205 45 16

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i369/janolsson/mr2%20project/Suspension%20rebuild/new%20front%20susp.jpg[/URL]

My old wheels, good to see there still in decent condition and complete
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

thomp1983 wrote:
abovetherim wrote:this is my rev1 on new standard shocks and apex springs
Wheels are on 205 45 16

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i369/janolsson/mr2%20project/Suspension%20rebuild/new%20front%20susp.jpg[/URL]

My old wheels, good to see there still in decent condition and complete

I don't have the medallions in but otherwise in good order. They may be changing colour soon if I find time.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”