Poss daft ABS sensor question but......

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

Re: Poss daft ABS sensor question but......

Post by masterbateson »

Im deffo with you on this one.

Waste not want not.

And as you say every pound you save can go on to something else. :thumleft:
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Whilst I don't disagree that the price of a new sensor is a tad excessive, you need to understand that there is a reasonable amount of thought that goes into selecting the appropriate wire for an application. Especially for something like an ABS sensor where the signal is transmitted on a balanced line, I believe.

Whilst what you have done can work, will it be giving the correct signal level at the ABS ECU and be as reliable as the original ?

I have a few coat hangers in the wardrobe I can sell you as TV antenna's if you want :lol:
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

Willing to be proved wrong, but unlikely to be balanced pair, as their is no twist in the cable. Most likely just 12v positive and ground. Behind the sensor is essentially a reed switch and just creates a square wave signal by connecting and disconnecting the circuit when the teeth on the ring pass by A balanced pair wouldn't be needed really in a circuit like that, as its not at the frequency where balanced pair becomes advantageous to supressing noise, and induced noise isn't really going to be an issue anyway.

There's cheap and there's frugal. An ABS sensor is 175 beer tokens. I'd be comfortable soldering it. If you don't do it right, all you end up with is an abs code and INOP ABS, which is what you started with any way. And plus one for soldered connections. Make sure you solder it right, and heat shrink the joint. I'd probably go over the heat shrink with self amalgamating silicone tape as well cos of the water it'll get exposed to. And try and make sure the joint isn't in a place where it'll get strained. Probably a reasonable argument for the suggestion of splicing a length of wire in close to sensor and connector, rather than repairing the break, because of movement and vibration. Another option would be to buy a 2 pin waterproof connector and splice that in.

Have you checked continuity in the loom beyond the connector?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Did think new wire plus solder might change resistance but for the sake of a couple of quid of wire i thought it worth a try (and it would not pass the mot with the abs light on)

So i found some marina cable of a similar gauge and soldered it in , lots of heat shrink and insulation tape ... fired the car up and no abs light .. did an abs ecu diagnostic for good measure and it checked out ..

5 years plus with the fix and never had a problem .

Was i lucky , i dont know 8-[ .. all i know is it worked , thats why i suggested the fix :thumleft:

Kev.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Are you sure we should or would be talking in terms of resistance and not impedance with regards to the cable and the function in forms in this particular application?

The proof of the pudding surely is that kev has done this and it works.
Well its good enough an argument for me, Im not trying to convince anyone else tho.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

masterbateson wrote:Are you sure we should or would be talking in terms of resistance and not impedance with regards to the cable and the function in forms in this particular application?

The proof of the pudding surely is that kev has done this and it works.
Well its good enough an argument for me, Im not trying to convince anyone else tho.

Your right .. I just didnt want to get to technical (have a gcse in electronics lol )... i dont think im geto , i bought a nice cdj dj deck with the money i saved \:D/ ... if it dont work what have you lost ... basicly continuity test the sensor and loom , if it fails continuity test the sensor , if it passes replace wiring (loom) ...

once installed the abs ecu will reject the install if out of spec :thumleft:

Ps. it should be omhs resistance not impedance :D
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

Are you sure we should or would be talking in terms of resistance and not impedance with regards to the cable and the function in forms in this particular application?

Not 100 percent, but as its a switched 12v dc signal to my knowledge, it would be resistance. But I could be totally wrong, and it's an analogue, hence ac, signal on a balanced pair!!
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Has anyone used these? and are they alright, did it sort your problem out?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK ... SwT6pVrRYO
shinny

Post by shinny »

masterbateson wrote:Has anyone used these? and are they alright, did it sort your problem out?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK ... SwT6pVrRYO

A mk3 sensor on a mk2... I've no idea if that would even fit let alone work!
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Ooops! #-o

Thats a mk3 one hey? how embarrasing.

Wonder if they do mk2 ones I better go and have a look.

They look kinda sorta the same, would it be worth a try if there isn't a mk2 generic and similarly priced alternative? :-k
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

otherwise this one looks like it would fit the bill
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Wheel-Spe ... SwPcVVpDwO

you get better results when you browse without watching the telly.

Hope i dont need more than 1 and would be really chuffed off if i end up needing 4.
Cant see that happening though. :pray:

Ive also decided that I am not confident in the Brake fluid in the system at the mo.
Ive bled all round several times now and am still not happy, callipers all seem to be free now and not sticking, and when i have bled the brakes there seemed to be something in the fluid? I wondered if water or something had some how got in the system.
Anyway I am going to completely flush through the whole lot.
Wondering if i should upgrade the brake fluid or stick with standard.
Wondering if i should go for dot 5.1? :-k
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

But on the other hand i wont be flying round tracks so maybe dot3 will do? :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”