Poss daft ABS sensor question but......

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

Poss daft ABS sensor question but......

Post by masterbateson »

I have all the bumpf from of the web courtesy of google and Stephen Mason.

One thing i am confused about is :? In the guide there is the table of error codes.

Mines reading a 34 error which is:

34 rear left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction

But Which is the rear left???? :?: :clown: :? :( :-k

Is that looking from the back so rear left is passenger side?? or looking from the front in which case its the rear drivers side?

Would have made a lot more sense if it said nearside or offside or passenger side or drivers side rear.

Obviously a simple answer but I dont know it.
rgb

Re: Poss daft ABS sensor question but......

Post by rgb »

Sit in the drivers seat and figure it out
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Was that a clue? :idea: :-k
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Pretty sure rear left is nsr a simple check would be unplug one of the fronts and see what fault that throws.

Are you certain of the code, it's been awhile since I've looked but I thought the sensor fault code only showed a linked pair not an individual sensor.

Your best best would be to get a small pocket oscilloscope and test the sensors it doesn't take long
shinny

Post by shinny »

Assuming a UK or JDM RHD car, it's the rear passenger corner.

thomp1983 wrote:I thought the sensor fault code only showed a linked pair not an individual sensor.

I thought that too.. but then I got a code 34 so checked the diagnostics page in the manual: http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... agnosi.pdf

I changed the rear passenger sensor (actually I changed the entire hub, because the sensor was well and truly seized into my old one) and my code 34 ABS light went away :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

From a bit of experimenting yesterday, as mentioned its def the NSR sensor, No oscilloscope but managed to do a few test using multi meter on mV and also checking resistance.

I jacked back of the car up and ran it in gear to test what I was getting in mV one side seemed to keep rising weirdly past 200mv but the duff side read zilch.

One side (good) read around 900k but other side read about 25 ohms.

The slightly annoying thing is I got a pair of hubs for next to nowt, I didn't fancy swapping the hubs out as I thought it might have been a big job.

Anyway I set to work trying to extract the ABS sensors, well I managed to get one out intact, but the other ended up completely FUBAR'éd so I now am short by the one sensor I now need :evil:
If I had swapped the hub for the spare one I might be all clear now :( but on the other hand I had no way of knowing whether the spare had a good sensor in so.
Bet I cant get another hub with a sensor in it for 0.99p again though.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Hmmm,
Stranger and stranger.

So i have replaced one rear abs sensor with one from a hub that i eventually managed to wrestle out intact and working, so I managed to loose one of my abs errors.

I was left with a single error code error 34.

Did some more investigation today and found breaks in the wires to Passenger rear sensor.

Broke out the soldering iron repaired the wiring and tested before putting back.

So then cleared all the error codes and kept my fingers crossed :-$

Aggggghhhh!!!!! :evil: now, really weirdly instead of having just one error code as before or as I hoped None, I now have error 34 and 36!!! what the fudge.
I am beginning to really hate this ABS system.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

What is code 36? I've never seen an abs wiring failure soldered for repair they've all used crimp connectors maybe soldering has affected the resistance readings
shinny

Post by shinny »

thomp1983 wrote:What is code 36? I've never seen an abs wiring failure soldered for repair they've all used crimp connectors maybe soldering has affected the resistance readings

"Open circuit in front right or rear left wheel speed sensor"

http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... agnosi.pdf

Soldering is almost always better than crimping. But it sounds like the OP didn't solve the break... maybe there was a second?
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

More meter related fun tomorrow I guess :|
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

shinny wrote:
thomp1983 wrote:What is code 36? I've never seen an abs wiring failure soldered for repair they've all used crimp connectors maybe soldering has affected the resistance readings

"Open circuit in front right or rear left wheel speed sensor"

http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... agnosi.pdf

Soldering is almost always better than crimping. But it sounds like the OP didn't solve the break... maybe there was a second?

Really it isn't, a properly crimped and supported connector shouldn't ever fail hence there used in all major industries and critical applications where vibration etc. occurs.
rgb

Post by rgb »

I tried to solder the wire and the solder wouldn't work. The wire is not like normal wire. Maybe crimping would work. I ended up with a new sensor.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

It'll be a similar wire to that used in o2 sensors it seems to have some sort of coating on it, crimping with a decent ratchet tool and heatshrink crimps will provide a permanent reliable repair
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I tested mine with continuity on my muti meter ... driver side rear wiring had failed but the sensor was good ... bought some 20.2 amp marina cable and made a new loom for the sensor ... FIXED :mrgreen: 5 years latter all good :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

thomp1983 wrote:Really it isn't, a properly crimped and supported connector shouldn't ever fail hence there used in all major industries and critical applications where vibration etc. occurs.

TBH, there is crimping and then there is crimping... I would argue the cheap spade-connector style crimp sets are inferior to solder. A decent crimp set, like you referred to later, would indeed do a good job though. :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

TBH I was considering what 2mad has done, I was in my garage eyeing up a nice reel of cable and toying with that very idea.

I'll soon know if the solder link has worked later if I get the chance.
Ill jack back end of the car up again and run it in 1st gear off the floor, should get a feedback voltage if the cables repaired and sensor is alive. :pray:

If not next step is try the re wire root and then I guess its bite the bullet and buy new sensors time.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

masterbateson wrote:TBH I was considering what 2mad has done, I was in my garage eyeing up a nice reel of cable and toying with that very idea.

Ohms or continuity check the sensor if its ok save £125 on a new sensor and replace the wiring .. you know it makes sense :thumleft:

2mad kev.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Another repair tip for the ghetto brothers :lol:

Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I think we have one or more of those "Lavish" types in the House Kev :lol:

That pics given me an idea tho, I really like bean bags so. :-k
2mad

Post by 2mad »

MartinF wrote:Another repair tip for the ghetto brothers :lol:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.ghettoredhot.com/wp-content/ ... n-seat.jpg

Ha that is funny BUT why replace the sensor and loom (the sensor is a major pain to do) when you can save money and just replace the wiring (loom) with top quality auto marine cable :D ... i bought some thing i really wanted with the £125 i saved.. took 45min of my time to fix the problem.

Sweet :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”