Aircon removal Fans staying on

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gmac90

Aircon removal Fans staying on

Post by gmac90 »

I have a rev 1 turbo and I have removed the aircon and now both fans are staying on constantly. I have had a seach for this but I cant find a definate answer... Would removing the aircon fuse solve this? Cheers
craig

Re: Aircon removal Fans staying on

Post by craig »

From memory you need to maintain the air con ecu when removing the aircon as this controls the radiator fans.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Exactly how much did you remove?
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

I removed aircon rad pipes and pump why do u ask?
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Oh and the condensor aswell just looked at a pic
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

You need to bridge this plug (this bridge was pinched off a uk car)

But then I extended the wires (to the dash) and put a switch in so I have an extra fan if needed

Some people say this plug by the rad needs to be bridged (it is on uk cars) I didn't have to on mine

UK cars have this instead of the aircon ecu

but it wouldnt work on my import so I had to leave 6 wires connected I think (car isn't here to check)

I started going through all the wires to work out a way of removing it, but can't finish till the car is back, as I was removing the aircon unit from under the dash and replacing it with the non aircon one on the left

Last edited by madbasshunter on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
shinny

Post by shinny »

gmac90 wrote:I removed aircon rad pipes and pump why do u ask?

Because if you disconnect and remove the pressure switch on the pipes in the frunk, the fans will be always on. When I removed the pipework I disconnected the pressure switch and just left that attached to the wiring. :thumleft:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

shinny wrote:
gmac90 wrote:I removed aircon rad pipes and pump why do u ask?

Because if you disconnect and remove the pressure switch on the pipes in the frunk, the fans will be always on. When I removed the pipework I disconnected the pressure switch and just left that attached to the wiring. :thumleft:

Sorry to be a bit of a mong but where abouts is the preasure switch? I disconnected my pipes upto where they screw together just coming into the frunk above the power steering ecu.
shinny

Post by shinny »

gmac90 wrote:Sorry to be a bit of a mong but where abouts is the preasure switch? I disconnected my pipes upto where they screw together just coming into the frunk above the power steering ecu.

It's on those pipes in the frunk underneath the wiper motor and the PAS ECU. You don't need the pipes but the electrical sensor does need to be connected to the wiring.

gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Sweet I will get that done today and see how I get on Cheers for the help Shinny & Madbass
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

We are talking about the same part where Shinny has kept the original sensor and I have replaced it with a piece of wire

RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

I should have this sorted by using a spare pressure switch from another mr2.
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

I plugged in the pressure switch and fans are still staying on constantly. What else do I need to to?
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

This is what I plugged back in.

Am I missing somthing?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”