car sound deadening

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2z

car sound deadening

Post by Mr2z »

Hi guys is this something worth doing? Has any one done it on a mr2. How much material would I need and the best place to get it.

Thank you in advance for any advice
thomp1983

Re: car sound deadening

Post by thomp1983 »

what are you trying to achieve there are alot of products aimed at different areas, do you want to reduce road noise or are you looking at improving the sound of your stereo?
Mr2z

Post by Mr2z »

thomp1983 wrote:what are you trying to achieve there are alot of products aimed at different areas, do you want to reduce road noise or are you looking at improving the sound of your stereo?

Reduce road noise
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

you'll want some form of mass loaded vinyl then or effectively heavy duty rubber matting glued to the floor pan and bulkheads. to do a decent job will mean adding a fair bit of weight, a stock mr2 isn't too bad for road noise are your a pillars sealed properly behind the tweeter covers they can let alot of noise in also are your windows properly aligned making a good seal with the rubbers and are the rubbers in good condition? and lastly the cars not running really low profile tyres is it?
n52

Post by n52 »

Why bother? it's not loud anyway :?
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

thomp1983 wrote:you'll want some form of mass loaded vinyl then or effectively heavy duty rubber matting glued to the floor pan and bulkheads. to do a decent job will mean adding a fair bit of weight, a stock mr2 isn't too bad for road noise are your a pillars sealed properly behind the tweeter covers they can let alot of noise in also are your windows properly aligned making a good seal with the rubbers and are the rubbers in good condition? and lastly the cars not running really low profile tyres is it?

Thats the wrong stuff your advising. The heavy matting takes away noise from the hit to the panels, like tinging on metal and causes it to go dead.

http://youtu.be/h1P4L7TwV9Q

You want open or closed foam noise absorber / insulator. Generally works better for airborne noises as well as the matting to cover all frequency ranges. You can closed foam thinner 6mm stuff for the floor, then i got open foam 15mm for the wheel arches and 35mm for my bulk head. The foam itself is very light compared to the rubber / bitumen piece.

Photo below shows the install I did on mykitcar, shows the metal backed rubber underneath (in video above) 6mm foam on floor (closed form) and the 15mm foam on wheel arches (open form)

My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”