took the mr2 out for a run yesterday.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

took the mr2 out for a run yesterday.

Post by Ryan S »

i just took the mr2 out yesterday for the first time in months , the battery was completely flat so got a jump start off my dad, stalled it at THE BUSIEST ROUNDABOUT IN THE WORLD and had to push it to the side of the road (all in the p1$$ing rain) all the while cars were peeping at me to get out the way as if i'd done it on purpose, i then realised i'd left my phone in my dads car (luckily i was close to my house) so had to run home and use the house phone to get him to come help me, got the jump leads on again, car wouldn't catch and when it did, there was a spark plug flooded, so it was running on 3 cylinders and spewing out white smoke,oh and stinking of petrol, i let the car idle for a bit to clear it, seems to have worked, car started this morning as though nothing had ever happened :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: took the mr2 out for a run yesterday.

Post by Ryan S »

just to add to this, i've been using my dads diesel avensis the last few days as i've been needing to cart my massive drumkit around, i forgot how ballistic the power delivery of the mr2 was!! when i finally got up the back roads and gave it some welly i was thoroughly impressed, it may not come close performance wise to the bike, but as far as cars go, the mr2 MUST be near supercar territory, i can't even imagine how the 400-600bhp ones must drive!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't drive mine very often and is only running filter, decat, exhaust and intercooler upgrades on stock boost but man it surges forward like a particle accelerator!
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Our cars really don't like water in any respect do they :lol:
Evo4tomb

Post by Evo4tomb »

I found that not pushing the loud pedal on corners works best O:)
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

They really need to be used sheppy. We came home yesterday and there was a continous beep coming from somewhere, eventually i realised it was one of my cars which I haven't used for 6+ weeks, the battery had gone flat and th alarm was half-heartedly having a go. I think the car was rying. Complaining about my neglect.

I've also had (on the MR2) calipers sieze, which becomes quite expensive!

sheppy wrote:i just took the mr2 out yesterday for the first time in months
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Run it daily, i do with mine!!!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

nickg07 wrote:Run it daily, i do with mine!!!

I run mine daily as well - although this is mainly done as an excuse to buy new parts for my car regularly... It needs to be reliable so I can get to work :mrgreen:

I'm sure your car will be fine Sheppy after a couple of lengthy runs :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Marf

Post by Marf »

Check for cracks in the ignition coil material, you'll need to remove it to do so.

I had this issue, after any prolonged heavy rain the car would be an ar$e to start until I replaced the coil :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Well i'm away in the scottish highlands recording with my band at the moment, took the mr2 and it hasn't missed a beat, done around 200 miles with no problems apart from the rubbish running when wet, the coil has been replaced so it must be either leads or dizzy cap, i'll start with the dizzy as the leads are fairly recent. Had some real fun on the way here too, some amazing roads!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Are you a singer or a musician... oh a drummer!

:lol:

Just bought tickets to see Deap Vally in a few weeks & really looking forward to it. What sort of stuff do you play?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Hoy! Drummer jokes will not be tolerated! Haha,

It's metal music, check out our video :thumleft:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vSfL5cHFI6 ... SfL5cHFI6Y

I can only get a mobile link as i'm on my phone :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

just got back yesterday after about a 300 mile round trip, mr2 never missed a beat, had it on low boost most of the time (7psi) and still managed to have fun, the roads were so twisty that i must have had an average speed of around 30mph, never got stuck behind many lorries or tractors either, all in all, a lot of fun was had, i'm 100% on keeping the thing now :thumleft: :thumleft:

edit: the whole time i was thinking "there's no other car i'd rather be in" :lol: :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Try one of these

<----

:mrgreen:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Glad you're enjoying.
Checked out the vid.... thrash/death metal not really my thing. I'm that bit older so Purple/Rainbow/Zep/Priest etc more my bag (perhaps my username gives that away... Blackmore IS god) though I don't mind the odd Metallica tune but that said I quite liked it and thought you guys are good. Like the vid in the church too, just what was needed considering the song title...
Had a gander at a few other U-tube bits and like the live sound.

R
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

HighwayStar wrote:Glad you're enjoying.
Checked out the vid.... thrash/death metal not really my thing. I'm that bit older so Purple/Rainbow/Zep/Priest etc more my bag (perhaps my username gives that away... Blackmore IS god) though I don't mind the odd Metallica tune but that said I quite liked it and thought you guys are good. Like the vid in the church too, just what was needed considering the song title...
Had a gander at a few other U-tube bits and like the live sound.

R

you'd probably like my other band then, it's more rock/metal also, Rainbow are one of my fave bands of all time, Cozy Powell is the reason i started playing drums, also the reason i have the double bass drum kit, the pictures of his Ludwig Red Sparkle in the Rainbow Onstage record (yes record) made me drool when i was a kid!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GI74l9gP0

this is my other band :thumleft:

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Marf wrote:Try one of these

<----

:mrgreen:

ah don't mate, i was tempted to buy one earlier this year, the only jap turbo car i've not owned yet :(
Marf

Post by Marf »

Something for the future maybe, twas a real wrench for me to get rid of the 2 , was such a trusty steed :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Marf wrote:Something for the future maybe, twas a real wrench for me to get rid of the 2 , was such a trusty steed :)

ach, i'm not really into cars anymore mate, the only reason i'm hanging onto the mr2 is because it's an mr2. i've had a few and always come back to them, it was my dream car when i was a kid. when it comes to thrills i get them from the bike really, 100mph in about 4-5 seconds, 170mph in 5th gear, i've still to see what 6th gear will do, i've not found a big enough private road!!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Ah fair enough :thumleft:

I nearly went down the bike route before getting the RX, but I'm too much of a pussy :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”