ST205 ECU for chargecooler pump control

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

megamonkeyman

Re: ST205 ECU for chargecooler pump control

Post by megamonkeyman »

shinny wrote:
megamonkeyman wrote:Are there any power gains to be had by swapping? I have a Rev 1 turbo converted to Rev 3 ECU, the only problem is there is no chargecooler in my setup.

Toxo's dyno graphs suggest there are minor gains to be had... however the main reason we converted was for warning if the fluid level dropped or the pump failed.

The black line is the ST205 ECU, the pink the rev3 MR2 ECU...

Now my car turns on the CEL and reverts to safe mode whenever the coolant level is even a fraction low, it's got me to really sort out my system's headertank and bleeding situation, whcih can only be a good thing :thumleft:

Good gains for the price but I do not want a CC setup due to maintenance on the engine and I agree, "tricking the ecu" will result in problems down the line, so I will give this one a miss.

Shame, the idea of better AFR's is almost too good to miss. I guess a standalone will be the better option for me.
shinny

Post by shinny »

asdrewq wrote:I reccomend using the ST205 coolant overflow tank. I haven't needed a coolant topup in months, including a 3000mile EU roadtrip :thumleft:

Yup, I've finally got mine plumbed in correctly now, mounted on the core itself, on the leg nearest the compressor housing.

I've actually gutted the pressure cap so that coolant moves very freely in and out of the system. Otherwise my system would ingest coolant (or air if there was no coolant) as the pump turns on and then pressurise as the pump turned off - however the 0.9bar cap would hold the pressure in the system and it would slowly leak out from somewhere else (not sure where) resulting in coolant loss. Now with the gutted cap, coolant returns to the header tank immediately (plus any air that's gathered at the top of the core) so it should all end up bleeding itself automatically and always be full of coolant :thumleft:

I'm tempted to use a slightly larger tank though... :oops:
dantical

Post by dantical »

just to pick it up,...

I try to run a ST205 ECU on my REv3 Turbo,..
I want to use this Diagramm to cut out the errorcode,.. i already wired everything,.. but i absolutely DON´T KNOW what "B" should be,.... can anyone tell me this ?
Is this 12V? ( B+ ( Efi main Relay? ) Image
Oh,.. and i think M should be M- right ?
AND E = E1 ? ( Engine ground)?
Thank you guys,..
I pinned out the PSC is this correct? so my A/C should work and the P/S too?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Yes, yes and yes. However the GT4 guys suggest that this fix doesn't always work - it's difficult to emulate a motor with a resistor.

See http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=40
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
dantical

Post by dantical »

thank you !

I will take a look if it works,...
shinny

Post by shinny »

Gotta say, the ST205 ECU is really handy when running the charge cooler core. recently I had a garage mis-install the charge cooler so the pressure cap hit the engine bay lid and undid itself letting coolant escape. The ECU came to the rescue, threw up the CEL and I found the issue pretty quickly :thumleft:

I'm not so sure about running it without the core; there's a reason the FMIC GT4 boys and girls want the MR2 ECU! However (I'm thinking out loud here) I wonder if you could attach a small fan to "pretend" to be the pump. The pump itself takes up to 5.6A according to the ST205's 3s-gte manual, so a fan that takes somewhere around that power might be perfect in tricking the ECU? You would, of course, need the 4.5Ω resistance wire to mock up the pump's loom:

dantical

Post by dantical »

i tried These resistors,.. but didn´t work out!
The Apexi power FC Lamp turns on for a few seconds and goes out a few seconds,.. all the time,... so i think the resistors are wrong maybe?
I will try some others out just to get sure,...
shinny

Post by shinny »

dantical wrote:i tried These resistors,.. but didn´t work out!
The Apexi power FC Lamp turns on for a few seconds and goes out a few seconds,.. all the time,... so i think the resistors are wrong maybe?
I will try some others out just to get sure,...

I don't know much about the Power FC but surely on an aftermarket mappable ECU you can turn off the pump control?

Anyway, I'd suggest you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about using a standard Toyota Celica ECU to control a charge cooler setup fitted to an MR2. You appear to be talking about fooling an aftermarket ECU into thinking a non-existent charge cooler setup is present. They are literally the inverse of each other!
dantical

Post by dantical »

yes i try to fool the ecu !
But it is the same Thing you guys were doing for the Standard st205 ecu ?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dantical wrote:yes i try to fool the ecu !
But it is the same Thing you guys were doing for the Standard st205 ecu ?

No, we had the pump & cooler system. We weren't fooling the ECU
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
dantical

Post by dantical »

really? oh ,.. :shock:

so Does anyone know how to "fool" the ecu ?
shinny

Post by shinny »

dantical wrote:really? oh ,.. :shock:

so Does anyone know how to "fool" the ecu ?

The GT4 owners probably know better than us... but their forums require a much more expensive membership just to view! #-o

Besides, fooling the stock ECU and fooling the Power FC might be different. Why aren't you using an MR2 ECU on an MR2? (Those of us who have charge coolers have a good reason to run a different ECU)
dantical

Post by dantical »

Yes,.. i know the GTfour site,.. but i won´t pay for the Membership,..

I am usind this PFC, because i got it cheap and fast ,.. so i took it,..

fooling the stock ecu and the power FC should be the same, i guess,.....
but it doesn´t work for now,...
](*,) :(
shinny

Post by shinny »

dantical wrote:Yes,.. i know the GTfour site,.. but i won´t pay for the Membership,..

What makes you think fooling different ECUs from different manufacturers will be the same? There are a few ways ECUs could be detecting a working pump and plenty of different tolerance options. Just because you think you can find something that works on the standard ECU (which is probably not a reliable solution anyhow) there is absolutely no guarantee it will work on the PFC. Find a manual for the PFC and figure out how to disable the check if at all possible.
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

toxo wrote:
asdrewq wrote:
shinny wrote:
Now my car turns on the CEL and reverts to safe mode whenever the coolant level is even a fraction low, it's got me to really sort out my system's headertank and bleeding situation, whcih can only be a good thing :thumleft:

I reccomend using the ST205 coolant overflow tank. I haven't needed a coolant topup in months, including a 3000mile EU roadtrip :thumleft:

My mounting location (aluminium bracket paint optional):

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url266.imageshack.us/url266/8021/dsc06421p.jpg

I did similar, but mine was attached to the Apexi induction kit bracket. You can just about see it here next to the radiator cap:

The big difference between the ECUs for me was the fuel map. Look at the AFRs when you reach significant boost at 3500/4000rpm between the two ECUs, in the second graph. Very different!

Quick question the blue small silicon hose coming off by the throttle sock, where is that going? Is it for the air con idle up?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

There isn't one coming off the sock... If you mean the one coming off the inlet side of the core then yes. It replaces the pipe that comes from the rev3+ hard pipe.
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Yeah by the sock, thanks for the speedy reply.
Just starting my charge cooler conversion.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Ahh sorry I speed read. Have a read of my thread/guide, I think it covers all the hose routing etc

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103914

Although I would guess you already have as the photo you used in here is my engine bay, from that thread :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

dantical wrote:Yes,.. i know the GTfour site,.. but i won´t pay for the Membership,..

Going to keep an eye on your progress, got most the kit now to go fmic on my st205.. Even bought an mr2 rev3 ecu just encase..

Maybe a pfc cant be fooled like the stock ecu :( Can you not disable chargecooler safeguards in pfc menu if you have the hand commander :-k
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Yeah I've read it a few times, I'm going for an AVT radiator and pump. I'm losing the air con rad so a big rad will fit. Cars currently on an apexi power fc and made 319hp recently.
Only issue was that the IC heat soaks after a few big pulls.
So here I am going charge cooled

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”