[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Post by toxo »

There have been a lot of posts recently regarding ST205 CC's - I guess this is down to them becoming a bit more readily available on eBay, and on here. I've recently acquired the pump and core from an ST205 WRC (unfortunately crushed before I could grab anything more from it!) and am gonna take lots of pictures and the like to attempt to help others out. I'll be using a Cinquicento radiator for now, until I change my front bumper and find something a bit larger. I'm also keeping the aircon.

Because I only got the core and pump from the GT4, there's a few other bits that need changing. I wanted to make sure the core was mounted very securely, so have gone to the trouble of buying bolts, mounts, etc from the Celica. Seeing as I was buying the accelerator bracket and throttle sock anyway, I did a bit of research on the Celica EPC and have got all the bolts and mounts I need. This includes the engine hoist hook from the gearbox end of the engine, which the core bolts to on the GT4. I like the idea of having the install as close to how Mr T intended. That should make it as reliable as possible, as well as leaving it looking that bit better.

It has to be said I got a little carried away - I also ended up buying 4 bottles of Toyota long life coolant as I figured that while the Celica's CC capacity is 2.5l (according to the BGB), I've no idea how much the MR2's will be. I also figured I could do a coolant change on the car as well. Chances are I'll only need 3 bottles, I'll keep you posted. Anyway that little lot (stuff in photo + coolant) relieved me of £130 odd. (Yes I am aware that I could've got Halfords coolant and mixed it myself, thanks.) For reference, most of the part numbers were obtained from here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100152 - I also have a partial ST205 EPC.

So far I have run the pipes (£60 from a local motor factors for 10m of 19mm ID (internal diameter) coolant hose) under the car - I'll make sure I get some photos of this when I get back under the car tonight. I'm part way through working out the radiator mounts as I don't have a welder or any welding ability... but I reckon they can be made up easily enough without.

Parts bought so far:
From Toyota
1 x Bottle of ForLife- T08889-80002
2 x Bolts to bolt down CC core - 90119-08790
2 x Long Throttle Body Bolts w/washer - T90119-08870
4 x Throttle Sock Bolts - T91511-B0825
1 x Throttle Sock - T17861-88480
1 x Accel. Bracket - T78024-88480
1 x Engine Hoist Hook - T12281-88480 (requires modifying)
2 x CC Pump Bolt - T90105-10393

4 x Foglight Bolts - T90075-02717 (had to drill existing ones out)
1 x Throttle Body Support - T17871-88480
1 x CC Expansion Tank + pipework - T16650-74020

From eBay
1 x Fiat Cinquicento Radiator
1 x Fiat Cinquicento Fan Switch (bungs up the hole on the radiator)
Several jubilee clips, I'll inventory these as I go

From Forge Motorsport:
2 x 32mm -> 19mm elbowed reducers
2 x 19mm alloy hose joiners
more jubilee clips that I forgot about when I ordered the eBay lot

From B&Q:
2 x 1m lengths of steel bars. They're about 3-4mm thick and don't like bending in a vice unless they're heated w/a blowtorch or similar.
2 x M6x60mm bolts (for the undertrays - these were labeled #411)
2 x Washers to pad out the above bolts
4 x 6mmx20mm self-tapping screws to attach rad to brackets

From Motorserv:
10m of 19mm ID coolant hose
Yet more jubilee clips (they were cheap!)

From Si @ Red Sun Developments:
ST205 Chargecooler core (requires modification)
ST205 Chargecooler pump

From turbomax:
ST205 ECU (T89661-2B840 - Japanese ST205)

I am going to be using the above ST205 ECU for pump control for now - I may go down the replacement ECU route in the future - if I do it will mean all the wiring is already in place as it was in a 205 which should make wiring up an aftermarket ECU easier.

I'll update this thread as I progress, and hopefully turn it into a knowledgebase article once I'm all done. To that end I'd be grateful if anyone spots me doing anything wrong, for them to please point it out. The last thing I'd want is for someone to follow a guide I wrote and get themselves into difficulty.

:thumleft:
Last edited by toxo on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:47 am, edited 15 times in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Post by toxo »

First things first - Bumper off

The first thing I did was remove the front bumper. I had got the lights out anyway to refit my HID kit so I'm really not so sure how easy this would be without having them out. Anyway, there's a great guide here, no point in reinventing the wheel:

http://osmanu.com/mr2/bumperremoval/index.html

Remove the black bumper reinforcement bar that's in that guy's last photo. You can't take this out without removing the foglights first, and as per most peoples experiences I had to drill one of them out.

This should afford you direct access to the existing radiator setup. Unbolt the horns from the car. There was a sensor mounted on the left hand side of the air con radiator on my car. It was exactly where the top hose will be connecting to the fiat rad, so it can't stay there. I moved it to the right hand side of the radiator and cable tied up the excess cable next to where the right hand fog light goes. So, instead of having loom clipped the whole of the way along the top of the front, it now only goes as far as the horn connection. See this photo, 'scuze the lens flare, I hear it's all the rage these days:
Key:
Green circle - sensor that needed moving, in its final location
Yellow circle - sensor's original location
Blue line - Original wiring route
Red cirle - loom for sensor, cable tied up

According to the EPC it's the thermistor for the air conditioning system.

There was a suitable bolt for mounting it to, almost in exactly the same location it was in on the left of the car. The mount attached to the sensor needed a bit of modification to be mounted the other way round - it has a raised lip which I squashed in a vice.

The tubing that the runs along to the horn connection did run the whole length of the front - there was no need for it once I'd moved this sensor so it got cut off and the plastic clips removed (hence that row of black holes).

There was a silly plastic flap clipped into the 3 holes along the bottom of that picture beneath the aircon rad. I guess on the stock bumper this attaches between the bumper and the undertrays, but seeing as I have a) no undertrays, and b) a bomex front bumper, it wasn't attached to anything. It got binned.

Hose Fitment

10m of hose is enough to run the length of the car twice, it should leave you with about half a meter spare once done. Loop the hose in half and put rings of coloured tape every 50cm or so down one half. Poke the 2 ends down through the engine bay from the air filter. This is a *lot* easier if you have an aftermarket induction kit as the standard airbox and resonator box are huuuuuuge.

Be careful to avoid any contact with the coolant neck or the engine and gearbox themselves as they get quite hot. I'm not totally sure what the tolerance of this stuff is (it's meant to hold hot coolant straight out of an engine so it should be pretty tough) but it's best to be safe. Your pipes should come out somewhere near the starter motor. Hang the hose off something in the engine bay (or loop it round the engine lid) so that you don't pull it all through and have to start again:

Shame my polished intercooler pipes are all going to go!!
You can now pull all the pipe through to underneath the car. Pull the half of the hose with the coloured tape on down the passenger side. This will connect to the bottom of the radiator and to the pump.

Once you've got the pipes to the underside of the car you need to route them along the only route possible - down the centre of the car. Don't cross the pipes over as you run them down the car as it will make it harder to identify them once you get to the front of the car - keep the pipe with the tape on the passenger side. You can cable tie them to the various pipes under the car, and tuck them behind the odd bracket here and there. The only bracket I couldn't get them behind was the one the 2 handbrake cables go through immediately after leaving the mechanism. I have cable tied them up on this bracket (being very careful not to make any contact with any handbrake mechanisms) and have bought some longer bolts, so that I can still attach the undertrays to the car. This affords some protection to the pipes, and keeps everything tidy. Those are the 2 M6x60mm bolts that I listed in the B&Q parts.

New bolts vs old (you'll need washers):

The pipes fit down the underside of the car, as described. These pictures are taken from the engine end of the car, facing down towards the front bumper.

The pipes fit over this rear bracket:

But they don't fit over this bracket, this is where you need to run them over the bracket and then use longer bolts to affix the undertrays:

Radiator Fitment
The radiator has a gaping great hole in the side for the fan temperature switch. I figured it would be easier to just get the switch from a fiat than it would be to try and find a bolt that'd fit:

I chose to make the mounting brackets for the radiator out of steel. It would have been much easier to make them out of aluminium bar, but it'd be a lot weaker, and bend easily. I discovered pretty quickly that this made life quite difficult for me. This is what happens if you bend steel unheated:

So, I decided this was gonna work instead - cue 1 vice and 1 blowtorch (and one Roger)!

These are the brackets on the car.

You can see how far proud they sit at the bottom of the car - this isn't indicative of how they'll be when finished as they're not bolted on underneath at the moment. I don't have a photo of them off the car, but here's a drawing with some measurements:

In hindsight I'd have made the 285mm bit longer as it's under a little pressure once it's all bolted together but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

There's a mount on the right-hand end of the Fiat rad that's kind of round which I hacked off - be careful when removing this, don't pierce the plastic jacket on the end of the radiator.

There are 4 holes underneath the front lip of the car. Well, actually there are 8 holes, but 4 of them have the aircon rad bolted to them. I reckon I can get a nut into the other side of 1 of these holes on either side, so that's what I'm going to bolt to. I've made 2 8.5mm holes in the mounts, one at either end, for them to bolt to the car, and then the mount at the hose-end of the radiator has 2 6mm holes to screw to the rad. The mount on the other end of the rad has 1 6mm hole, and one 9mm hole for the bleed nipple of the radiator to poke through.

Once you have made your brackets, and are happy with them, paint them. They will only last a year max if you don't. I happened to have some spray underseal knocking around, so have coated them in that.
Brackets drying having had 2 coats of underseal

I screwed the Fiat rad to the brackets using some 6mm x 20mm self-tapping screws from B&Q. The bolts were attached to the underside of the car with some 20mm M6 bolts and appropriate nuts.

In order to make it all fit together I had to chop almost an inch off the 32mm end of the silicon angled reducer at the top of the rad. Upon looking at these photos I think I need to do that to the lower one as well. You can see the difference in the photo below, the bottom one has a bend in it which will restrict flow. So, take an inch off both ends of the lower silicon reducer, to make everything line up (and to make the join to the coolant pipes more accessible).

Please note: Radiator isn't straight because it isn't screwed to the mounts yet :)

These were attached to the Fiat radiator with 2 x 25-35mm jubilee clips, which tbh were too small - I'd recommend using a size larger. I've used 22mm-30mm jubilee clips to clamp the 19mm end of the reducers onto the alloy hose joiners, and will use 2 more on the other end of the joiners.

You should be able to run the pipes between the aircon hardpipe and the car, as pictured. I cut away a small section of the plastic that sits behind the driver's foglight. Grab the passenger side pipe first and attach this to the bottom radiator hose's alloy joiner. Connect the other hose to the top radiator hose with the other joiner. Tighten the lot up with a 22mm jubilee clip each.

More gratuitous hose shots:
I have since replaced the 90 degree curves in the black hose with 90 degree silicon bends. This meant using a lot of jubilee clips and cost a lot of money, but after driving around with the hoses attached as the picture for 6 months, they were very scraped. You should also attach a small piece (20-30cm) of clear hose to the bleed nipple at this point. I secured mine with a small cable tie after the lip of the nipple, and fed it back through above the radiator to wind up on top of the main rad, underneath the plastic trim panel. This will come in handy for bleeding.

This has all wound up keeping the radiator about 10mm away from the aircon rad, and about 10mm away from the bumper impact support bar.
Clearance from aircon rad:
And from the bumper support bar:

I'm quite happy with that! This is how it looks now, all sprayed up and hosed up:

I couldn't reattach the horns in their original location, so I moved them to the passenger side, underneath the headlight. I've bolted them to the aircon canister like so:

I connected the ground for the horns to the bolt that they're attached with, as shown in the image. The bit of wiring loom in the plastic tube just above the canister contains the horn wire, so I pulled that back from the front of the car (green wire in pic). All seems to work fine :D

At this stage you can reassemble the front end of your car and then move to the other end!
Last edited by toxo on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:50 am, edited 26 times in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Pump Fitment

Next step was the pump. Before you do anything, attach the pump to a 12v supply (run it off your car battery if you want) and make sure it works. The worst thing you could do is get to the point of bleeding the system to discover that it doesn't (as I did). The pump connector has 2 larger pins and 3 smaller ones - the 2 larger ones are the +ve and -ve for the pump. If the pump doesn't work, remove the 3 bolts around the inlet to gain access to the impellor chamber.
If the pump works with the top off, then there is crap in the top cap preventing the impellor from spinning - wash it out and reattach.
If the pump is noisy, replace the bearings. There is a guide on gtfours.co.uk but I can't link to it directly. Once you're happy with the pump, move on.

I'd spotted 2 mounting points on the gearbox which I figured were the right place for it.

The pump in question, complete with the mounting bracket from the Celica:

The bolt nearest my thumb needs to come out as that back bracket fouls on the gearbox:

These are the mounting holes I found on the gearbox:

Pump fitted (with 2 x CC Pump Bolt - T90105-10393):

The pump must go in this kind of orientation. It has a drainage hose on it for water to drain out of it like most of the components in the engine bay, and this must point at the road. It also makes the system much easier to bleed if the pump is the lowest point. For reference, the left hand pipe in this image is *in* and the right hand one is *out*.

I have had the pump attached to my car for over 6 months now and it's not even got a scratch on it. It is not the lowest point of my car - my sideskirts, exhaust flexi and front bumper are all lower. Your mileage may vary!

Grab the hose that runs down the passenger side of the car (the one you covered in tape), and cut it to a suitable length to reach the pump. Be very careful here because if you get it wrong you'll need to get another joiner and more clips to extend it. Also remember that the pump is mounted to the gearbox, and the gearbox moves! Attach the pipe to the pump's outlet (passenger side) and jubilee clip it. I used a silicon straight reducer, 22mm-19mm here to make life easier. It provides plenty of flexibility and made for a lot less messing around underneath the car. Without it you'll struggle to get the 19mm hose onto the 22mm pump outlet (and you might damage the pump in the process). Once you've done that pull the hose you cut down a bit and attach it to the pump's inlet (driver's side on the pump) and secure it. I used a 22mm-19mm silicon reducer here, this time a 90 degree angled one.

GT4 Engine Hanger
This stage is optional, and tbh I'm still not sure it was worth doing. However I had as stated intended for the chargecooler to be fitted the Toyota way so if you've bought the GT4 Engine Hoist Hook (Part no. T12281-88480) then this is what you need to do:

First off, here's the engine bay. There are some pipes that aren't original:
Aircon Idle Up - Yellow
Dump Valve Recirc Pipe - Clear w/white bits
Dump Valve Manifold Pressure - Clear
Throttle Body Carbon Canister Pipes - Blue
Click for bigness.
Highlighted are the pipes you'll need to detach to get to the engine hanger. You only need to remove them at the ends indicated, and while order's not important, the numbers indicate the order in which I removed them.

1. Aircon Idle Up. This is an important one to pay attention to, as it is replaced as part of the core installation. It doesn't exist on Rev1 or Rev2 engines, I'm not sure how they deal with that bit. This goes into a hard pipe by the end of the engine - the other end of this hard pipe is #6.
2. Dump Valve Manifold Pressure - This also goes into a hard pipe and runs round to the side of the inlet manifold. The other end of this is #9.
3. Another hard pipe, other end of this is 10. This is just an engine breather.
4. Catch Can Outlet - This just returns air from the crankcase once the oil vapour has cooled and turned back into oil in the catch can (big black box next to it).
5. Catch Can Inlet - Breather from the engine into the catch can. There's another smaller pipe going into the catch can underneath this - take that off too.
6. This is just the other end of the aircon idle up, take it off the hard pipe.
7 & 8 don't have to be removed, I just found it easier with them out of the way. They can be tucked up round the engine bay lock, but don't close the engine lid if you do this :)
9. Other end of #1.
10. Other end of #3.

Once you've got all of them off, you can remove the catch can and its bracket, with the 2 hard pipes for #1/#9 and #3/#10. This is only held on with one bolt (14mm), in the location indicated:

That lot can now be lifted out and put to one side. If you've got a bit of an unhealthy engine your catch can might be full of oil, so be careful with it. Mine had no oil in it...
You may find it easier if you unplug some of the HT leads from the distributor - make sure you put them back in the right order!

Now you can get the existing engine hanger off. It's held in place with 3 bolts, as indicated. The 2 indicated with the arrow are on the boot-side of the head, and have a coolant line or 2 directly next to them, which means you can't get a socket on them. These are done up incredibly tightly (as you would expect for a bracket designed for hoisting the engine out) and I had to use 2 spanners linked together to get enough leverage to get them off. Obviously getting a socket onto the left hand bolt is easy. All 3 are 14mm.

Here's the 2 engine hangers next to each other. As you can see there are obvious similarities between the two, but the GT4 one is much larger. I have a sneaky suspicion that the engine hanger hook on the MR2 one might have snagged on the core if it had stayed in.

Unfortunately the GT4 one won't fit without a bit of modification - and the bit that needs to come off is one of the chargecooler core mounts :( However it won't fit around the MR2's coolant neck, so it has to go. It still leaves 1 mount and they look pretty tough. I sawed the mount off mine, and afterwards it looked like this:

Once that's done you can throw it in the engine bay and bolt it in place. It looks like this once it's installed:

Now that the GT4 hanger is in place, the hard pipes attached to the catch can need a slight mod to go back in. I'm still not totally sold on this as it's repositioned the catch can so it might need a bit more work to accomodate the chargecooler core. All you need to do is take the bit to the right of the bolt hole off the end as it snags - as you can see from this photo I had already started sawing it off. I found it much easier to do this having unclipped the catch can - it's just clipped in on either end:
It would be nice if we could just use the GT4's catch can bracket here but unfortunately the pipes all route completely differently.

Once it's back in it all looks a bit like this:

You can now reconnect the pipes you removed at the start, and sit back and wonder whether you've actually achieved anything.

Important note: Do not reconnect the aircon idle up (yellow pipe in my pics) if you're installing the core at this time. For a start you'll have nothing to connect it to as the hard pipe was part of the engine hanger. Secondly it goes somewhere else later on. However if (like me) you are doing this in stages and need the car running inbetween, you can easily unbolt the hard pipe from the MR2's engine hanger and reconnect the pipe.

Core Modification
While the chargecooler core is from the same engine, the coolant layout in the Celica is a lot more... conventional as the engine and radiator are in the same place :) As a result the coolant neck on the side of the MR2's engine is very different, and fouls on the MR2's coolant neck, as per this picture:

There are a few options available to you here. I know Allan cut the pipe off the core and welded it back on at a different angle. I can't weld and don't have access to a welder, so I have cut it off. In fact, I cut it almost all the way back to the core, so that there was only about 30mm of the pipe protruding from the core. I did the same with the other outlet too, because while it doesn't catch on anything, it just makes the installation a whole lot more flexible. Remember, you will need to move the core in order to service your car (sparks, leads etc) so flexibility is a good thing! These pipes were replaced with 90 degree silicon reducers, again 22mm-19mm to get the pipe size down to match the hose that runs under the car.

You should also remove the mount on the core that's nearest the engine coolant neck. We already removed the point it connects to on the GT4 engine hanger, and it will only rub on the coolant neck if we leave it there. Think of all the saved weight ;)

Core Installation
Time to install all of those Celica engine parts! Here's a photo showing the MR2 and Celica throttle body parts next to each other for comparison:
Top ones are from the MR2 engine, bottom ones are the new Celica parts to go on. The bolts outlined in red (part no T90105-08286) are actually the same on the MR2 as the Celica, so they can be reused.

This is the engine bay as I started:
First thing to do is to disconnect the accelerator cable. Take it off the throttlebody first, by pulling the sprung semicircle bracket towards the cabin, and unhooking the cable.

With that disconnected, you can remove it from the MR2's accelerator bracket. Slacken off the nut nearest the cabin and you should be able to pull it out of the bracket. Mine has a clip on a jubilee clip on the turbo -> intercooler hardpipe too, take it out of that.

Now remove the pipe going between the throttle body and the intercooler. The previous owner of my car was obviously a bit paranoid as this was held on throttlebody end with 3 jubilee clips! The silicon joins should have enough slack in them for you to be able to pull the pipe off without too much trouble. This then affords you access to the throttlebody etc. You can take off the one that goes from the turbo hard pipe to the intercooler as well.

Undo the 4 14mm bolts holding this long cylindrical part on.

Now you can take off the intake support bracket. It's held on with 2 long bolts going into the cylinder head, and 2 shorter ones going into the throttlebody. Again, these are 14mm. Watch out for the tiny rubber gasket underneath - this needs to stay where it is.

Throttlebody should now look like this!

You should now attach the Celica intake support bracket. If you bought a new one remember to take the label off the back of it ;) It does exactly the same job as the MR2's one, but doesn't surround the throttle intake. The 2 long bolts with washers on (T90119-08870) go into the throttlebody itself, and you can reuse the 2 bolts that went into the head.

Next up is the throttle sock. Using the 4 bolts (T91511-B0825) first attach the 2 passenger side. On the driver's side you should attach the Celica accelerator bracket on top of the throttle sock - don't put it inbetween the throttle sock and the throttlebody. All together it should now look like this:

Congratulations, you've converted your throttle assembley into a Celica one! It sits a lot further back towards the boot than the MR2 one did, which gives us enough space to fit the chargecooler core on.

Now we need to get this pipe off:

Undo the 4 12mm bolts on the bracket that attaches this pipe to the head, and ditch the bracket. If they're not still disconnected from you fitting the Celica engine hanger, or if you've since reconnected them, you should disconnect the air con idle-up pipe, and the dump valve manifold pressure pipe. These are the small pipes that run from the dump valve down the side of the engine, and from the intercooler hardpipe down the side of the engine. They're identified on a pic earlier in the guide. You should also disconnect the dump valve recirc pipe too. With all this disconnected you should be able to slacken off the jubilee clips attaching this pipe to the turbo and pull it off. Your engine should now look like this:

Now you can drop the core into place. I found it a little complicated to get the pipes and hoses all attached as the passenger side of the engine bay is an absolute mess! You want to get the pipe that exits the core directly underneath the filler cap attached to the pipe coming up from the pump. That's the one with the tape on. It was a lot easier if the pipes exiting the chargecooler (remember I'd replaced these with silicon reducers) were crossed over in an X as that made them occupy the least amount of space. One of them had to run underneath the ICV hose and one over the top.

The previous owner of my core had heatwrapped the underside. I deemed this as a good thing and was not going to remove it. However it did mean that the core didn't fit down nicely onto the head, even after removing the plastic jacket that the HT leads are held in. It also meant that the bolt to attach the core to the head didn't reach, and the pipe attaching the core to the turbo wasn't a great match either - I replaced the hose at this point with one of the ones that had attached to my intercooler which was about 20mm longer. This overcame that problem nicely. The core still bolted down to the GT4 engine hanger as you would expect.

The next pain was the dump valve. I used the hose from the turbo hard pipe -> aircon idle up as well as some 3mm vacuum hosing I had lying around to lengthen the smaller pipes coming off the dump valve to the 't' piece. This then allowed the exit from the 't' piece to reach the existing piping nicely. I cut down the hose I had used to replace my recirc hose to about half its length and used this to reattach the outlet from the core to the inlet on the dump valve. This results in the outlet from the dump valve pointing downwards - I could reconnect this to the induction kit but it's really not worth the effort. I blocked up the hole that was left in the induction kit.

Wiring

As I've already mentioned, I intend to use a Celica ECU to perform pump control logic. I've looked into this a bit more, and the Celica ECU has the chargecooler pump circuit instead of the engine bay fan one. However this is a bit irrelevant because the cooling fan output from the engine ECU is an emergency override anyway, the fan retains its own ECU for normal usage.

Important Note I found that with the core installed and retaining the MR2 ECU, the engine bay fan took a very very long time to kick in. I presume this is because the top of the core remains cold at all times, and the engine bay temp sensor is directly above it. I unplugged the sensor, and allowed the fan to run all the time.

If you were lucky (like me) your chargecooler pump came with both side of the wiring connector. You'll need to extend whatever wiring is left on this connector to run back into the boot. There are a few points to be aware of when doing car wiring:

Always use heatshrink (and always use the RIGHT SIZE heatshrink). It's waterproof when used correctly!
Never run wires on anything hot (gearbox, metal coolant pipes etc)
Never leave any bare wiring exposed
Always solder, no scotchlocks!!
Disconnect the car battery, and the ECU while doing this work.
Whenever your wiring reaches its destination or travels through a bulkhead (yours will do both) you should take the wiring lower than it needs to be and loop back up to whatever it is you're connecting to. This will mean that any water running down it will drip off the bottom of this loop, rather than into your pump, into your boot, into your ECU etc.

The wiring process differs massively depending what you want to monitor. You can, for example, wire in a warning light for when the pump's failed. You can wire in a level sensor. You can replace the level sensor with a temperature sensor and wire that in to something. I'm only going to cover the most basic wiring required to get the pump running on the ignition.

You should push 2 wires through from the grommet next to the ECU. It's in the boot, behind the carpet on the bulkhead. You can push straight through the middle of the grommet. You should use wire that's capable of ~15A, just to be on the safe side. You'll need to push through from the boot side as you won't be able to get to that grommet from the engine bay side - the fuse box is in the way. I chose to cabletie my wiring loom to the coolant pipe that ran from the chargecooler core down to the pump.

You'll be installing a relay in the boot - you should use one rated at 10A or higher. The one I used had an integral fuse - if yours doesn't you should use an inline fuse holder where you connect within the fusebox. Attach one of the wires that you pushed through the grommet to pin 87 of your relay. Attach the other end of this wire to one of the screws underneath the large red rubber cap in the engine bay fusebox. You can get the wire into the fusebox from underneath. Take the 2nd wire you pushed through, run it down to the pump, and attach that to the +ve pin on the pump connector. Connect the other end of this wire to pin 30 on your relay. Make up a small cable to run from the -ve pin on the pump to a suitable grounding point - any old bit of the chassis should do). Connect pin 85 of the relay to the <something> pin of the ECU. Connect pin 86 of the relay to something that will ground to switch the pump on. I connected it to ground all the time (as the +ve is coming from the ECU which is only powered when the ignition is on).

<Many pics required here>

Hey presto! Reconnect the ECU + battery, turn the key in the ignition (don't start the engine) and stick your head down by the passenger side rear wheel and you should be able to hear the pump whirring. Don't leave it like this for long, the pump's not designed to run with air in it.

Bleeding the system

I found bleeding the CC quite difficult, but not as difficult as some people had told me it would be ;) The radiator end is very straight forward. Take the hose you attached to the bleed nipple and hold it upright - a good way of doing this is to tape it to the bonnet. It only needs to be higher up than the chargecooler core is. Next up, pour coolant into the core. Do this slowly, you'll see lots of air bubbles as you go and the level will slowly drop. Keep doing this until it stops dropping. Massage the outlet pipe a bit and more air bubbles will appear, and the level will drop. Keep going until the level stops dropping.

Go round to the front of the car, and suck on the pipe attached to the bleed nipple. This will help draw the liquid through from the core. You'll only need to suck a little bit (you don't want to empty the core as that will introduce an air lock), then run back round to the engine bay and pour more coolant in. Repeat until you start seeing coolant in the pipe that's attached to the radiator. Don't get any coolant in your mouth, it's poisonous ;)

Now click the ignition on so that the pump is running. You should now be able to keep pouring coolant in at a reasonably steady rate - if the core backs up and it looks like the coolant isn't flowing well then massage the pipes again to get air out. Occasionally you might need to run round to the front again to draw a little more air out of the radiator. You'll know when you're done because you get a whirlpool effect in the filler hole.

At this point, put the filler cap on one click and block up the radiator bleed hose with a suitably sized bolt (I used 2 cable ties as well to be sure). Take the car out for a drive. The process of sloshing the coolant around while driving up and down hills and warming it up a little will help to get more air out. DON'T drive for too long, just enough to warm the engine up, and DON'T use any boost! If you get any funny noises, blow any hoses off that you haven't connected up properly, etc etc then STOP IMMEDIATELY. If all is good then you should be able to pour quite a bit more coolant into the system - don't worry about letting it cool down before you take the cap off as it won't have got hot enough to spurt out all over your face. Check underneath your car once it's cooled down to make sure nothing's leaking.

Repeat this process 3 or 4 times and you should be more or less air free. You should check the level daily for the first fortnight as you would when bleeding the main coolant system as more and more air will work out.

Job done :thumleft:
Last edited by toxo on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:53 am, edited 13 times in total.
LiamTye

Post by LiamTye »

great write up so far

will be keeping an eye on this

got mine in my room collecting dust and not got the money to pay someone so will be attempting this my self so will come in very handy
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

im very interested in this write up,
basically i have had the c/c conversion done but theres a few things i need to change, need to change throtle cable bracket, but more importantly i would love to know how to secure the core itself like mr T did in the gt4, also is there any way i could incorporate an expansion tank so i dont need to keep topping up etc??
Great thread buddy, keep it up :mrgreen: :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Munnsy wrote:i would love to know how to secure the core itself like mr T did in the gt4

On the side of the rev 3 head, there's a bracket with an engine hoist hook, the little hard pipe for the turbo -> air con idle up valve, and some other bits and pieces. That's different on the GT4 - it's the black bit on the left of my 1st pic.

Munnsy wrote:is there any way i could incorporate an expansion tank so i dont need to keep topping up etc

All in good time :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ah that's where the pump blighter mounts. Shame on mine we cut that bracket #-o
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Hi mate,

dunno if this helps but when I did mine I did this.....

Mounted the pump in the front passenger wing under the headlight, like you say its a bit vulnerable on the gearbox and as mine is a track car I didnt want a 'minor off' turning into an end of trackday event because I had dumped all my CC coolant.

When bleeding the system you can also lay the pump on the floor so its the lowest point in the system, bleeding is a dead easy 10 minute job then.

I ran the CC pipes over the steering rack and underneath the battery, it meant cutting small holes in the battery box moulding and making very small bracket to lift the battery up 20mm, I know this raises the C of G a minute amount but the CC pipework is now well hidden and not vulnerable at all.

Try and use the float in the CC for the coolant level, wire it up to a light this has saved me a couple of times when the coolant has got a bit low (dont want to be boosting on an empty CC!!!!!).

I also wired the CC pump to the foglight circuit, like I say mines a track car so I have no fogs, but even on a road car it would be worth wiring something in with a light on. On mine I use the foglight switch to turn the pump on and the tell tale on the dash tells me when this is running. Its worth turning it off on long journeys or just tatting about, the Celica pump only runs on full boost anyway, this will prolong pump life.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

HTH
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

i was speaking to a few guys at jae from the celica forum regarding itt running only on full chat when your foot is planted but they told me otherwise :-k
They said it is running pretty much constant to be honest, when your sitting in traffic it turns itself off but when you are pottering around town its always moving the water around the system,
only going on what the guys were telling me just thought it may be worth mentioning as we all tend to worry about the pump failing due to it running all the time :?
gline

Post by gline »

great guide, definitly going to use it when im installing mine :)

can anyone recommend a really good replacement pump that can be run 24/7, kinda saves all the ecu work :)
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Good write up so far. You beat me to it as i was going to do one.
I did have my pump there but it was too low and moved around too much. I could imagine it getting ripped off. I currently have my pump sitting higher up on that face of the gearbox and turned through 90 degrees so that the "in" is at the top. This made it a doddle to bleed once it was located this way as you can't get an airlock. I was just going to fabricat a bracket to come off where the old airbox mounted to. It's consealed and out the way there and bleeding is simple.
Just my thoughts anyway.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Wet today so probably nowt gonna get done, so instead have a screenshot of the relevant EPC pages:

(Click for full-size ver)

If you ask me toyota made it purposefully hard to follow what direction the hard pipes around the pump go in. Looks to me as though the pump pumps coolant into the bottom of the radiator, and then the top of the radiator is directly attached to the core's inlet nearest the turbo. Then the core's outlet nearest the throttlebody is attached to the pumps inlet. So that's what I shall do with mine.

Also interesting to note that this EPC seems to feature an intercooler spray bar on the radiator. At least, that's what I presume 16305D in the bottom right is.
Last edited by toxo on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Do you have any of the epc for the 185? As I want to fit a 205cc to my rev2 motor.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Race Idiot wrote:Do you have any of the epc for the 185? As I want to fit a 205cc to my rev2 motor.

I have the equivalent to the above diagram, but not the throttlebody assembly which is probably what you'd be after. If you want the chargecooler diagram pm me and I'll send you it - I'll leave it off this thread as it's not relevant to the guide I'm doing.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

it is a pre-rad spray bar, its plumbed into the bottom of the washer bottles where there is space for an extra motor, the bar needs to be on the standard WRC version for homolgation for racing, the GT4 WRC version also had anti - lag (but not plumbed in) lighter odds and sods and a few other bits which escape me now!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Yeah I was aware of that, they have water injection too I believe. However this isn't supposed to be a WRC EPC page ;)
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

However this isn't supposed to be a WRC EPC page

I was only trying to help, hence I put up a post of my experiences, I'll keep my mouth shut, oh I love forums.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Sorry, you misenterpreted! I meant the EPC page that I lifted that diagram from above wasn't a WRC one (at least that's what it said). So someone at that end has got it wrong, or I'm misreading something.
gline

Post by gline »

i know this is probably a stupid question, but what exactly does the throttle sock do?? why is it needed?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Everything I've done in this guide and my own experience is for rev3+ and st205 engines, so yours might be a bit different but shouldn't be massively out. The throttle sock goes on the throttle body. It's the part that joins the outlet from the chargecooler core to the throttle body. On the MR2 this is a solid metal tube mounted with 4 bolts to the throttle body. It's about 4" long and has a silicon joiner on it to connect the intercooler pipe. On the ST205 this part is made of flexible plastic (so no need for an additional hose) and is much shorter than the MR2 part. If you leave the standard throttle adaptor on the MR2 engine it is too long to mate up to the outlet from the cooler. All this will be demonstrated in pictures soon :)

Edit: Because of the difference in size of the throttle sock different bolts are required to bolt it on. The ST205 also has a different throttle body support (bolts between throttle body and rocker cover to support things) but I couldn't tell you what's different about that yet (I think it's thinner to stop the throttle sock protruding so much) as I've not got it yet.

Return to “Modifications”