[Mk2] [Turbo] aftermarket intercooler heat issue

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Super_red

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] aftermarket intercooler heat issue

Post by Super_red »

bobhatton wrote:
Tedtiler wrote:Hi chaps. Havent ran one of these ebay side mount intercoolers before. Bit worried about the heat its passing on. The cooler itself is set up on the shroud and sits nicely.

But the outlet pipe to the engine inlet is too hot to touch after a run out. As that is the cool side I expected better. Std ct26 at 0.8 bar.

Wondered if this is normal. Lot of power being lost by such a high inlet temp.

There is your problem "ebay"

How can you buy a cheap intercooler made in China and think it will work better than the stock Toyota one?

Water injection will stop knock but will never cool down your inlet air.

Only reason an ebay china IC would be better than stock is its a copy of something thats had some RnD put into it. Also I would imagine the cost of materials is greater in a China cooler as Toyota would be looking to save as much as possible given the volume they will have to make.

I am currently looking at China coolers as I cannot fit my charge cooler due to a shmooved in front bumper on my current MR2. I dont really want to do it as I have a full 205 setup but I cant fit the rad.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Super_red wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
Tedtiler wrote:Hi chaps. Havent ran one of these ebay side mount intercoolers before. Bit worried about the heat its passing on. The cooler itself is set up on the shroud and sits nicely.

But the outlet pipe to the engine inlet is too hot to touch after a run out. As that is the cool side I expected better. Std ct26 at 0.8 bar.

How can you buy a cheap intercooler made in China and think it will work better than the stock Toyota one?

Only reason an ebay china IC would be better than stock is its a copy of something thats had some RnD put into it. Also I would imagine the cost of materials is greater in a China cooler as Toyota would be looking to save as much as possible given the volume they will have to make.

I am currently looking at China coolers as I cannot fit my charge cooler due to a shmooved in front bumper on my current MR2. I dont really want to do it as I have a full 205 setup but I cant fit the rad.

was it not one of the HKS or Blitz dumpvalve knock offs that worked better than the genuine item?
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Super_red wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

was it not one of the HKS or Blitz dumpvalve knock offs that worked better than the genuine item?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

They work better than the stock one, I tested both units.

Also WI will cool the inlet air, I don't even have an intercooler on mine running 20psi.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but

Return to “Modifications”