[Mk2] [Turbo] aftermarket intercooler heat issue

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tedtiler

[Mk2] [Turbo] aftermarket intercooler heat issue

Post by Tedtiler »

Hi chaps. Havent ran one of these ebay side mount intercoolers before. Bit worried about the heat its passing on. The cooler itself is set up on the shroud and sits nicely.

But the outlet pipe to the engine inlet is too hot to touch after a run out. As that is the cool side I expected better. Std ct26 at 0.8 bar.

Wondered if this is normal. Lot of power being lost by such a high inlet temp.
T.F.S.

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] aftermarket intercooler heat issue

Post by T.F.S. »

Inlet temps will be quite high, 60-80c on that setup.

Go with water injection with a bit of methanol to get temps down to 40c, nice easy modification..I also sell the kits on here.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

after a run out, what exactly do you mean by this??

its hot soon as you pull up?
its hot when you feel the pipe 10-20mins after a run?

any static driving, will heatsoak the bay, no matter what setup your using.

any metal pipe in the bay is going to be hot once up to temp. doesnt mean thats how hot the inlet temps will be.
Last edited by jimGTS on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Hmm pretty dissapointing. A tad over std boost on std turbo and it can't cope. Had a bad experience with water injection on a starlet before, kept quenching the engine even on smallest jet.

Might try intercooler spray first. Or lag the outlet pipe.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

On the systems I sell you wouldn't have any of that, just clean power with lower intake temps.

Lagging the pipe will help with heatsoak but the inlet temps will still be too high...its one of the things with the MR2, intercooling leaves a lot to be desired/
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
shinny

Post by shinny »

The ST205 charge cooler is a much better solution than a cheap intercooler and doesn't really heat soak. A more involved install, though.
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

jimGTS wrote:after a run out, what exactly do you mean by this??

its hot soon as you pull up?
its hot when you feel the pipe 10-20mins after a run?

any static driving, will heatsoak the bay, no matter what setup your using.

any metal pipe in the bay is going to be hot once up to temp. doesnt mean thats how hot the inlet temps will be.

As soon as I pull up, it's hotter than it should be for under bonnet heat soak. Got my eyes opened today, god help one on a track with a side mounted intercooler, must be seriously down on power after one lap.
chief44

Post by chief44 »

I get pretty low intake temps with my gt4 CC setup. Yesterday was pretty hot out, and the temps were in the low 30's all day. I'd recommend it.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

i'd like a kit that sprays a bit of water onto the outside of the Intercooler and evaps off? is that possible.
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Intercooler sprayers are available. Easy enough to mock one up or get one off a Subaru impreza that ran one as standard on some models.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Tedtiler wrote:Intercooler sprayers are available. Easy enough to mock one up or get one off a Subaru impreza that ran one as standard on some models.

wonder if you could set something like this to only recome active at a certain boost pressure?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jimGTS wrote:
Tedtiler wrote:Intercooler sprayers are available. Easy enough to mock one up or get one off a Subaru impreza that ran one as standard on some models.

wonder if you could set something like this to only recome active at a certain boost pressure?

Easily, MAP sensor and a comparator circuit, job done!

Like this except using a MAP sensor not THW:

http://www.mrcontrols.com/installs/temp ... mpctrl.htm

I suspect you can probably buy off-the-shelf 'boost switches' or something similar these days though.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ive not read anything on mr2 owners doing this.

my worry would be all that water draining under the side intake and sitting in the sills causing rust/rot.

though i guess no different than driving in the rain, but this way, like driving in the rain everytime you use it.

could make a gutter on some kind i guess. :-k
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

If you use the shroud most water won't get all the way through, would just drench the outside, wonder if anyone has done this?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

toxo wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

I suspect you can probably buy off-the-shelf 'boost switches' or something similar these days though.

wonder how the stock tvsv works and comes on??
could splice into this instead?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Tedtiler wrote:Hi chaps. Havent ran one of these ebay side mount intercoolers before. Bit worried about the heat its passing on. The cooler itself is set up on the shroud and sits nicely.

But the outlet pipe to the engine inlet is too hot to touch after a run out. As that is the cool side I expected better. Std ct26 at 0.8 bar.

There is your problem "ebay"

How can you buy a cheap intercooler made in China and think it will work better than the stock Toyota one?

Water injection will stop knock but will never cool down your inlet air.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

toxo wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

Could use an oil temperature pressure switch although these complete the circuit at under 4 psi and go open when over 4psi so would need to switch the coil of a relay to opperate a fan.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

my 2p

ive had 2x mr2 rev3 turbos, one had a greddy fmic setup, slightly bigger turbo and a blitz boost controller, the other had a stock turbo, st205 charge cooler and a blitz boost controller. the charge cooled car was a fair bit quicker.

When you consider a greddy ic setup will cost you more than an st205 setup (theres actually one for sale at the moment on this forum) i can see no reason (other than its more of a pain to fit the charge cooler) to buy one, unless you are after silly big power
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

bobhatton wrote:

How can you buy a cheap intercooler made in China and think it will work better than the stock Toyota one?

not all ebay intercoolers are carp. I had a forge fmic on my S3 and when i took it off it had a split in the end tank weld, emailed forge and they claim its only good for 320hp, so my car would of needed a bigger dmic, the guys on audi sport net run big power with big ebay intercoolers without any trouble at all
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

bobhatton wrote:
Tedtiler wrote:Hi chaps. Havent ran one of these ebay side mount intercoolers before. Bit worried about the heat its passing on. The cooler itself is set up on the shroud and sits nicely.

There is your problem "ebay"

Well anythings better than the stock one mate, it's the same size as my old 1.3 starlet one. As far as I know the greddy and arc alternatives are discontinued so all you can do is buy what's available.
Water injection will stop knock but will never cool down your inlet air.

Return to “Modifications”