Accident Damage (Repairable or Write-Off?)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Slarty

Re: Accident Damage (Repairable or Write-Off?)

Post by Slarty »

From an insurance stand point, I'd be 99% sure it's a write off. New bumper, bonnet and labour/painting will come to more than 2/3 the value of the car :(

I hope for your sake that it isn't, don't get me wrong, but unless you have it insured for a high value, it doesn't look good :pale:
pacman

Post by pacman »

As said above, insurance will undoubtedly write this off.

What was the impact speed?

The main thing will be whether the front panel is bent (which it will be if the catch has moved a significant amount) as well as the lower crossmember. All of the bolt on parts will be easy enough to replace.

Whip the bumper off and take a look.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Was it a crash into anything that needs to be reported to insurance... such as another car?

How exactly did it happen as the car would have been traveling at a decent speed to cause damage like that...

I am 100% its a write off unfortunately and the fact that the bonnet catch has moved would indicate to me that the front panel is also bent. I could be wrong though, but just my 2p. If it were me and I didn't have to notify insurance I wouldn't; I would either do the work myself or fund it myself.

Sorry to hear about whats happened
Keep us updated and best of luck :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Skywalker wrote:Noooooo! #-o

Hard luck will :( get your brother in for some more car control lessons I say!

Got a rev5 chassis! Lol

Haha have you not sold that Rev5 yet? I decided recently after a long debate about that forged Rev2 that I either want this particular car (no other MR2) or an R33 GT-R and I'm sticking to it. This car has had too many hours of my blood, sweat and tears to just get rid of.

We'll see what happens. The bonnet pretty much just lifted up today as the latch is completely destroyed but it did reveal that the damage is seemingly less than I expected.

Herts66 wrote:Looking at the pictures the wings look straight and the damage all looks high so you might be lucky.

If thats the case most likely the damage may only be to the frunk bulkhead which can be bashed straight.

Any damage to the frunk lid hinges?

Best thing would be to buy it off the insurance anyway and either transfer the good bits to a new chassis or repair it.

Let me know if you want a hand looking at it I am in Herts

I know for sure one of the wings has taken a hit as it has bent at the top near the windscreen. Not looked at the other side as yet. The little panel that covers the radiators will not go back on so I think the front crossmember is deformed (think that unbolts though?).

I'm not sure about damage to the hinges. It still pivots smoothly but until a bonnet is fitted I can't say for sure.

I think I will advise buying it back when the time comes, if we get that option.

AManInDandism wrote:Looks like you might be lucky and get away with a new bonnet etc.

Some insurance companies will give you a hard time when it comes to getting the car back, and it's unlikely you will get the actual value of the car back.

Can you have it assessed for damage privately?

I'm hoping it's not too much more than a new bonnet, headlamps and any other bolt-on bits. The Rogue bumper is obliterated as are some of the lamps inside (tough to get hold of :evil: ).

I have someone up in Northampton who seems to be very good so I may get him onto it if there is anything that can't be done locally for a decent price or to a decent standard.

KarlBristol wrote:Was it a crash into anything that needs to be reported to insurance... such as another car?

How exactly did it happen as the car would have been traveling at a decent speed to cause damage like that...

I am 100% its a write off unfortunately and the fact that the bonnet catch has moved would indicate to me that the front panel is also bent. I could be wrong though, but just my 2p. If it were me and I didn't have to notify insurance I wouldn't; I would either do the work myself or fund it myself.

Sorry to hear about whats happened
Keep us updated and best of luck :thumleft:

Unfortunately, yes. He skidded into the back of a BMW approaching a major junction in London. To do damage like this, yes I would agree the car was moving at some pace.

If we didn't have anyone else involved I'd be getting the car straight to a bodyshop for assessment and the bill would be footed by my brother.

I will keep you all updated on proceedings. Thanks again for all the advice :thumleft:
Nick Bryant

Post by Nick Bryant »

What Happened?

Scrap that, just the read the post above.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”