[Mk2] [Turbo] Rattling clutch or gearbox dying??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

b4nk51e

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rattling clutch or gearbox dying??

Post by b4nk51e »

Hi folks, right i've had this problem since I got the car last year, when I start the car from cold & press the clutch peddle down I get a rattling sound from what appears the clutch/gearbox area, it only last 1-2 mins then its silent & doesn't happen again until the cars gone cold. I don't get any crunching from the gears although gear changing is a little notchy (it's the only mr2 i've ever driven so may well be generic). Anyone suffered this problem? is it more likley to be release bearing on clutch? or possibly a bearing in the gearbox? Any knowledge would be helpful.
It's a rev2 turbo 60k miles

Banksie
garry goodall

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rattling clutch or gearbox dying??

Post by garry goodall »

gear changes being a bit notchy could be the linkage bushes, quite common on these cars, can get a uprated kit from GTSchris which replaces the rubber for brass, also brings a much firmer feel to them.

my clutch release bearing makes a noise but only when the clutch isn't pressed.... don't know what to suggest about that one.
Mr2 Rev3 Turbo
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I've heard of Eedy clutches rattling...rivets or something...it was over on tb vedelopments
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

garry goodall wrote:my clutch release bearing makes a noise but only when the clutch isn't pressed.... don't know what to suggest about that one.

Surely it should only make a noise when the clutch is depressed as that's when the release bearing is in contact with the fingers on the pressure plate :-s

Twin plate clutches rattle but I doubt that that's the OP's issue :lol:
garry goodall

Post by garry goodall »

ah right dont know then, something makes a noise like a bearing when mine isnt pressed anyway, goes away when pressed
Mr2 Rev3 Turbo
mikey2

Post by mikey2 »

Slarty wrote:
garry goodall wrote:my clutch release bearing makes a noise but only when the clutch isn't pressed.... don't know what to suggest about that one.

Surely it should only make a noise when the clutch is depressed as that's when the release bearing is in contact with the fingers on the pressure plate :-s

Twin plate clutches rattle but I doubt that that's the OP's issue :lol:

Nope, only when not pressed, the pressure of the release arm onto the release plate compresses the bearings, and it makes no noise. When released the bearings are free to move a little, hence the noise.
Baker

Post by Baker »

is it possible that this problem could also cause a noise when coasting in gear?
mikey2

Post by mikey2 »

I suppose its possible, but the car would have to be incredibly quiet to be able to hear it.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Sounds like input shaft or a noisy lay shaft. Had it on an audi before.
b4nk51e

Post by b4nk51e »

Had the clutch changed to an uprated paddle clutch by Luke @ Pacificworks found no problems with the gearbox or clutch, it still had plenty of meat on it. Anyway put new clutch in started the car & it was rattling like bu88ery with or without the clutch peddle pressed down, it lasted about 3 mins then went away!! Luke & I were baffled as to what it could be as it sounded pretty bad & then just went away. Luke then adjusted the clutch peddle to give me a better bitting point & I drove it home with the plan to get a lightweight flywheel & take it back to luke for further investigation. Just over 2 weeks later & no sign of the noise returning so we've fixed it but don't know how!? :-k
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

I have a similar problem.
I installed helix ceramic clutch (with housing and bearing) and it sometimes makes a knocking(when engine is hot) or rattling (when engine is cold) noise when paddle is depressed. When I press the paddle, noise is gone. Could it be a bearing or what?
b4nk51e

Post by b4nk51e »

Sounds very similar, my bearing was fine when it was removed as was the rest of my clutch, the bearings tend to rattle when the peddle isn't pressed anyway. As it was out it made sense to change it over so put in my ceramic paddle clutch & that rattled & knocked really bad for the first few mins then stopped of it's own accord the only thing done then was clutch peddle adjustment! could that be the problem? like I say not a peep out of it in 2 weeks so mines sorted but don't know how!!
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I found a bit of my clutch had come away from the housing causing a god awful rattle, again mine was the same still there when restarted then never heard it since??? :pray:

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL

Return to “Mechanical”