[Mk2] [Turbo] MR2 rev2 turbo fueling problem

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James MR2 Turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] MR2 rev2 turbo fueling problem

Post by James MR2 Turbo »

I am having yet more problems with my mr2 :(

I had an ignition problem (detailed in this thread http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150806 ) which I resolved by replacing the ECU.

There is now a new problem which seems to be that fuel is not getting to the engine. I took the car for a test drive after replacing the ECU and it cut out twice but i was able to restart it. It cut out a third time and i was not able to get it going again.

I checked for spark at the plugs which is fine. I checked that fuel is getting to the fuel rail which it is. It will briefly fire when carb cleaner is sprayed into the intake but then dies when this is burnt off.

Does any one know what the problem might be?

Many thanks

James
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] MR2 rev2 turbo fueling problem

Post by alanmr2turbo »

could be the injectors or injector pack
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Hi matey, my rev2 had virtually same syptoms a while back...twas the cold start timer on the water elbow, it just went, in the middle of summer, after a bit of a squirt, unpluging it may not cure the prob as I remember, but unplugging the injector will help and get it running, they break soooo easily.
If you want the testing procedues for the fuel inj pack, coil etc...I can email them to you but they're actually in te BGB anyway.
I'm assuming yours is still rev 2 by the way...I have a spare and good coil and fuel injector pack here that I can send to you for postage costs if you want to use them as diagnostics tools mate. :thumleft:
James MR2 Turbo

Thankyou for the replys!

I suspected blocked injectors but I don't really know alot about injectors. Some one has suggested I drain the fuel thats in the tank (its about 3-4 months old due to the car being sat), replace the fuel filter and put fresh fuel in with some injector cleaner.

What is the injector pack?

I know the coil pack is good as I replaced it with a brand new one last month.

What is the cold start timer?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks again.

James
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Cold start timer/switch is the grey sensor located in the water elbow, you will have 2 facing the rear of the engine (cold start and water temp sensor) and 1 (water temp for the dash guage) facing the front.
The cold start timer is very easily broken, iirc it's a 22mm ring spanner to remove it...the fifth injector that the cold start timer activates can be unplugged to stop the constant overfuelling , if it's broken...this worked for me anyways matey...you should be able to pick up a second hand one on here for £20 or check out Camskill, if in doubt give them a ring and ask for "straight talking" Mike.
The injector pack is the thing covered in finns thats next to the fuse box in the engine bay...unlikely that it's this...are you getting a spark?
The fuel will have lost some octane level but won't have gone lumpy, I personally wouldn't drain the tank unless it was coming out for a new fuel pump or the like.
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

bloomin 'eck james! still not going ? :(

next week i got a couple days off, want me to come up and we can take a look again? can make it a whole day so can give it a good go-over. thur / fri ?

gav
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
James MR2 Turbo

Thanks djpkins, if I understand correctly I need to disconnect the cold start sensor then try to start the car and if it is this thats faulty it should start when disconnected.

Would be awesome if you could come up and have a look Gavin but I am working this week and can't get time off unfortunately. I will try the above and see if it's that. I will also check for error codes now I have a new ECU it should read them out correctly.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Hi James...if I were you, I would unplug the 5th injector, thats what the cold start timer operates...it's in/underside of the throttle body, just to the right of the throttle position sensor...it's a bit of a fiddle to get to but iirc...when mine had this prob, just unplugging the cold start timer didn't work...but maybe try that first as it is easier to get to...the fifth injector has a square plug with a wire spring clip around it, so a small electrical screwdriver and torch will prob be needed mate.
James MR2 Turbo

I have solved the problem!

It was the ecu, I swapped a spark problem on my original ecu for a fuel problem on another so I got a third ecu fitted it and it started first time!

Thanks for all the advice and offers of help, time to have some fun again!

James
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Wow, 2 bad ECU's, what are the odds on that :shock: Cool that you've sorted the issue though :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”