My "stock" Mk1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

My "stock" Mk1

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I say stock, but that's not 100% accurate, but stock compared to my other Mr2s! Anyway i thought i'd post details of my weekend Mk1 and its modifications to bring it up to date a little. I've got a blog running on other forums about the car but realised nothing here so thought some of you might want to follow what i'm doing.

The plan is to keep everything as close to the original spec as possible but just add a few things here and there to modernise it a bit.

This is the car as i first got it and the only thing i did was stick some nice 15" wheels on it, Yoko tyres and drop the suspension 30mm. This is the car with every running component being brand new, mechanically it's full suspension and braking system is all genuine new Toyota parts from front to back.

I added some screaming chickens to the wheels instead of the centre caps they came with, which i didn't like that much.

I want to replace the engine and gearbox with something different but still along the same lines, so i bought a Celica 6 speed, took out its internals, and swapped them into a Mk1 bellhousing case, i also fitted a Mk3 Mr2 Torsen LSD unit and installed the Mk3 6th gear set for a nicer top end...

Engine wise i've taken a stock 7 rib block, overbored it 0.5mm and had it decked.

The crank has been balanced and lightened.

New Toyota big end and main bearings fitted, sized correctly to each journal and double checked with plastigauge...

Piston rings all gapped and new oversize pistons installed...

New oil pump installed...

ARP headstuds fitted and HKS 2.0mm gasket...

Every nut and bolt renewed along the way, i haven't reused a single bolt at this point, new water pump fitted...

Valves lapped into the freshly skimmed head and all torqued down, i've added some adjustable alloy cam sprockets and a Zaklee clear timing belt cover along with a one piece alloy crank pulley...

Exhaust is being taken care of by a 4-2-1 tubular manifold...

The plan is to add a dollop of forced induction to this engine with a TRD Scion supercharger unit, i am going to run a USDM EFI system with AFM, Lexus LS400 V8 injectors (obviously just 4 of them, 250cc each) and trim fuelling with an SAFC. Just a lo-blow set up so no need for anything else.

Meanwhile back on the car i fitted some JDM rear lights and added our name to the rear visor in the same font Toyota use...

Made my own JDM LED spoiler using the light from a Windom, which is practically identical, i grafted the housing into the Mk1 spoiler so the LED unbolts as it normally would...

Nothing else i want to do bodywise now, i also added a SC engine lid too.

I'll update the thread as the other mods develop, this car is also going to get my adjustable power steering upgrade too.
alfiembra

Re: My "stock" Mk1

Post by alfiembra »

PW@Woodsport wrote:The plan is to keep everything as close to the original spec as possible but just add a few things here and there to modernise it a bit.

Had to smile when I read this line Paul, I think you're already a million miles away from original spec. Absolutley ace though another fantastic project.

Alan
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

alfiembra wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:The plan is to keep everything as close to the original spec as possible but just add a few things here and there to modernise it a bit.

Had to smile when I read this line Paul, I think you're already a million miles away from original spec. Absolutley ace though another fantastic project.

Alan

Totally agree with all you say there Alan

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Interesting project!

Any reason for adjustable cam wheels when running stock cams?

Unless I've read it wrong and you are running different cams?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Basically I want to be able to play with the powerband and see how much extra can be obtained under light boost, for instance I might move the sweet spot up the revs a little and let the SC do it's thing lower down.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hmm, interesting, I guessed as much. Bet you're tempted to try some cams though. ;) Mind you there must be far less benefit with cams, but maybe lift is the crucial point rather than duration.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I was on the lookout for some cams, as a "might as well fit them while i'm on" job, but none going for sensible money. Then got chatting with a guy well into his 4a tuning up here in the NE and he said as i was using a little FI it would make cams a bit pointless.

We shall see!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It's an interesting one, because when you look at big bhp builds for Turbo nutter engines, they do seem to use cams, but my thinking is that more duration is pretty pointless because when the air is forced in you don't need more time to fill the chambers. However, I wonder if increased lift would allow you to force the air in faster which may possibly being beneficial, though I'm just speculating really.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That was pretty much my thinking too, you may see a benefit on big power high boost applications but it's doubtful if any gains would be seen on a low boost setup, i bet i can get something out of it just by dialling in the stock cams, certainly doesn't justify the £600 odd quid HKS want.

On a pure NA setup i'd guess every little bit of cam tuning is vital.
stenky

Post by stenky »

if nothing else, little bit of longer duration with some overlap should help flush exhaust gasses from combustion chamber, increasing engine's volumetric efficiency.

as i was digging in some smart books, it seems that some early superchargers were used not that much for boost but for flushing the chambers entirely.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Love those wheels Paul, not sure about the font on the rear visor though. Those O's look nothing like the original Toyota ones, yours are much squarer.
vashy

Post by vashy »

PW@Woodsport wrote: i bet i can get something out of it just by dialling in the stock cams
Considering how much difference tuning my adjustable cam gears have made (to my mild cams) I suspect you are right!

Here's a question for the 4AG heads then. Does the SC have different cams, or cam timing?
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

kaiowas wrote:Love those wheels Paul, not sure about the font on the rear visor though. Those O's look nothing like the original Toyota ones, yours are much squarer.

Well spotted, my original Woodsport font has square O's but we tried to keep as close as possible to the Toyota font in general.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Bit of a dipshit question Paul, but would there be any point fitting an alloy crank pulley and tubular exhaust to an N/A, i.e. mine?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

An alloy crank pulley would look nice, if nothing else really.

As for a 'tubular exhaust' (thought they were all tubular?) are you talking about a 4 branch aftermarket manifold?

More gains from this than an exhaust, it's just a question as to whether you can afford it as they aren't cheap.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah I'm talking about a 4 branch manifold :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well you'll get a bigger gain with a manifold and exhaust. Won't be mega though. Maybe 7+ bhp ten possibly. Manifolds are around a monkey to buy though. Should free up the breathing a bit.
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

Paul, I have the toyota front if you'd like a copy.

Also 6 speed? Let me get my head round this, you gutted a factory 5sp mk1 box, & dropped in a celica's 6sp internals? & it fits without modification? Theres space for the 6sp cog? what about the ratios compared to the mr2s factory? Then dropped in a mk3 mr2 lsd, again without mods? What about gear linkages/gates?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Chunky Monkey wrote:Paul, I have the toyota front if you'd like a copy.

I spent ages faffing around with fonts and came to the conclusion that although the Toyota logo is based on some variant of Helvetica there simply isn't a version out there which accurately replicates the logo on the mk1 spoiler. I ended up measuring each character and replicating the logo myself in the end and have now had it etched onto a spare spoiler with the intention of creating a high level brake light which will light up the etched logo.

With not having a mk1 road car these days I'm not sure i'll ever get around to finishing it though.
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

well this font is titled as Toyota MR2, if you can provide a picture I can compare it for you, just to check

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”