Fitting a Celica Steering wheel

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Smithmyster

Fitting a Celica Steering wheel

Post by Smithmyster »

Has anyone ever fitted one of these and is it easy or hard?
My biggest concern being the wiring for the horn. :-k

Celica VVTi
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Fitting a Celica Steering wheel

Post by toxo »

I wouldn't worry about the wiring for the horn, it's 1 wire and grounds to the wheel/boss.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Smithmyster

Post by Smithmyster »

:thumleft: Cheer's
I kind of hoped so, but just expected a head ache.

Next Question tho..............
How do you get the old wheel off?
I know the process, the iv got the centre bolt off, yanked it a few times and nothing, iv since put the center bolt on a little only by a couple of turn as i have visions of the wheel smashing me in the face lol Im after any tips if anyone has removed a wheel before?

? Will a few whacks from a rubber mallet on each side from behind help? :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Brute force. You can use a bungee cord around the pedals or other bits of the car to hold it in if you don't want to risk damaging the thread on the end of the steering column.

I learnt that the hard way, nearly broke my nose first time :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

There are added complications if your car has an airbag but I guess by the fact that you've already got the nut off that you're past those :)
benGT

Post by benGT »

I wrote it down in case someone ever asked "How do I remove my steering wheel", lol

See my blog (2 articles because I had to start again due to wrong boss)
http://www.autojumbled.co.uk/?p=250
http://www.autojumbled.co.uk/?p=265
Smithmyster

Post by Smithmyster »

benGT wrote:I wrote it down in case someone ever asked "How do I remove my steering wheel", lol

See my blog (2 articles because I had to start again due to wrong boss)
http://www.autojumbled.co.uk/?p=250
http://www.autojumbled.co.uk/?p=265

Cheer's mate, those 2 links arnt working for me tho??

Iv got a 1995 rev 3 with out airbag, but im fitting a X reg Celica VVTI wheel. :-k
benGT

Post by benGT »

well there's no other info than what you've already got in there anyway!
Smithmyster

Post by Smithmyster »

Sorry, i meant the links wasn't working.
Iv found your pages now, Thankyou
:thumleft:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Just pulling at the wheel won't disengage the tapered spline, no matter how hard you tug on it. You need to shock it (and no I don't mean tell it rude jokes :lol: ).

As you've done, leave the nut on a few turns, and then hold both hands about 4-5 inches behind the wheel and repeatdly bang them towards yourself on the back of the rim of the wheel.

There is a small tool you can make up that jacks the wheel off but if you don't have access to some steel bar stock and drills etc, the above way is the best way to go :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Slarty wrote:repeatdly bang them towards yourself on the back of the rim

I've been trying to get the steering wheel of my tubby for ever- no matter how hard I've tugged it I just can't get it off....tried banging it like that and now my hands are bruised as well :cry:

Gonna have to make a tool for the job i reckon....
RST

Post by RST »

Do NOT use brute force to remove a wheel if it's stuck!!!! I learned this the hard way following intwernet write-ups and had a frozen shoulder for ages afterwards.

You should use a pulley puller (yahoo it) or go into a motor factors. On a rev 2 wheel at least once you pop the plastic centre part off you then unscrew the central nut until it's just about off the threads. You should see two tapped holes either side of that (M6 or M8) -few inches out from either side of the central steering column shaft. You put your puller on and screw the securing bolts through those holes. The main shaft on the column sould have a centre dimple, screw in the main puller bolt and locate the point on the dimple of the shaft and use a ratchet or spanner to tighten against that. It'll pop-off in a few seconds.

....Just saying this as mine was absolutely stuck (not the first person to find this) and I can't believe how much pain I was in after the "unscrew and jerk" method written up on internet -not to mention potential column damage. Probably spent more in pain killers for weeks than the cost of a puller in the first place. I found there's tapped holes on the wheel for a reason so use them and I've used the puller since anyway so was worth it.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I've not had the same experience as you guys, I guess because when I bought my car it already had an aftermarket wheel + boss fitted. A few sharp taps to the rear of the wheel freed it up quite violently.
RST

Post by RST »

I think the correct way to do it is to use a puller -and any other method seen is at own risk. Taps from a mallet on the rear of the wheel on mine did nothing. Like I say I followed the forum "unscrew and jerk" instructions as I was doing it for the first time -it's quite clearly not right and once bitten very much twice shy. Changed a few wheels since and the proper puller makes light work of it. You don't have to make a tool, it's already there...

I use the bottom left bar and associated bolts in this kit to pull wheels and pulleys etc off shafts...

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=496&item=1123

...sometimes you need different bolts to fit the threads in the parts but hey ho. The "break your nose" comments (not just this forum) aren't really valid when you do it right there's no risk whatsoever.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”