[Mk2] [Generic] Fitting Replacement Gear Linkage Bearings (With problems)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JeffD

[Mk2] [Generic] Fitting Replacement Gear Linkage Bearings (With problems)

Post by JeffD »

Just thought I would share my experience of fitting some replacement gear linkage bearings:

Firstr of all jack up the rear of the car high enough so you can crawl under it enough to access gearbox area.

For reference the area your trying to find is here:

Theres 2 to do and looking from underneath its these 2 arrowed:

Both ethe bearings are held on with a clip which is easily removed with a pair of thin nosed pliers - TBH I reckon you could do these with your hands but why struggle :-)

Can be a bit stiff but after a bit of wriggling the bottom one came off. Once off just use your fingers to press the rubber bearing out from the linkage cable.

Its made up of a sandwich arrangement of 2 washers, rubber bearing with metal insert and topped off with the clip like so:

And well just be replacing the rubber insert with the stainless bearing )(kindly supplied by Jamie at Jap spec:

I applied a smidgeon of grease to som eof the surfaces and pressed the bearing into the cable end. I found it a bit awkward to then get the cable back over the link but after a bit of messing I realised the secret is to look at the link side on and make sure it is going on square to the post otherwise it just wont go!

Bottom one done :-)

The top one is a bit more tricky to do as the bottom link is in way - you may evcen want to do the top one whilst the bottom one is disconnected to make it a little easier - up to yourself but I wasnt bothered.

Remove clip again with pliers:

Now I had problems here - I had to "chisel" link off with screwdriver and it tore the rubber bush leaving a piece still on post. Wasnt getting anywhere so decided to remove link - first remove rubber cover:

Then remove securing nut with 12mm socket - its not on vert tight at all:

Even off the car the rubber collar was stuck fast - may explain my wonky gear changes! Note partially damaged other piece of bush.

I had to heat the link up with a blow torch then using mole grips to initailly get it moving I then gave it copious amounts of WD40 and wrangled the thing off:

I hadnt cleaned the lower post up but I thought I had better do this one as it had corroded slightly - hence the bush collar sticking to it. Just used some wet and dry for thius.

Just a question of applying a smear of grease on moving parts then rebolting up link - dont forget to check it still moves freely then put cover back on. Reasseble link as per bottom one then put clip back. Again, if you put bearing in end of cable first make sure it is square on to post otherwise it wont go.

Let car down from jacks and job done :-)

I wouldnt say my bearings were particularly bad except for that stuck one but I have noticed an improvement in feel - feels much tighter so well worth it IMO and a cheap mod/fix to do :-)
JohnnyC

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Fitting Replacement Gear Linkage Bearings (With problems)

Post by JohnnyC »

Superb write-up there :thumleft:

I've replaced these bearings too, TBH I didn't notice any improvement but probably because there was nothing wrong in the first place on mine O:)

I can see how your gear changes must be a lot better now \:D/

One for the knowledge base :wink:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Cheers Jhonny :-)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hmmm, I tried this (well Rogue did on my behalf) and we only managed to get one on. With the other fitted I simply couldn't get 1st at all so we had to leave one original on, luckily it wasn't the one that had perished.
Good write up though Jeff.

R.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Thats wierd Rob! :-(

Must admit the very first time I tried to change gear after doing it it was a bit sticky but has been fine since. WOnder whether its because you have lost the flexability of the rubber insert since its a sold 'bush' now?....
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yeah, certainly a possibility. As I said though not really a problem as the one that had failed whilst driving (lost 1st, 3rd and 5th) was initially fixed by the AA by just turning it around and then was actually replaced. The one we couldn't change was in decent nick anyway.

R.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Oh well not so bad then :-) I just had problems sometimes when the gearbox was resisting the change unless you were really definite with change - I put this down to the collar being seized against the shaft so was in effect stretching the rubber in the bush to its limit to force change through. As can be seen from my writeup I had to remove linkage and heat the beraing collar off to get it off. 5 min jobs eh?!.... LOL
C50

Post by C50 »

Nice one Mr JeffD :thumleft: i might change mine soon
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

BTW forgot to mention - wear goggles when you do it! I got a load of yak in my eye boohoo :-(
C50

Post by C50 »

well i finally got round to doing mine this weekend :whistle:

i had trouble selecting 1st before but now i have trouble with 3rd.. oh dear #-o
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Theres always one who lets the side down...tschhh! LOL

Just kidding :-)

Have you deffo reassembled properly/lubricateed parts etc? Perhaps clutch may need adjusting...mmmm
james13009

Post by james13009 »

I'm also struggling to get 1st after changing bushes, going to revert back this weekend I think, What the best grease to use?
Copper, Generaul Purpose or lithium?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

that be because you need to go to something like this (see link), not solid bushes....
theres a reason stock ones are rubber, the linkages need to be able to flex a little....solid bushes wont have any play and will cause nothing but notchy gear changes...

go for JSPs new poly bush ones....

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=141708

Return to “Modifications”