[Mk2] [Turbo] Removing brake proportioning valve

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

filthy

[Mk2] [Turbo] Removing brake proportioning valve

Post by filthy »

Does anybody know where the brake compensator is located and how to disable it?
Now I have fitted a Cusco suspension kit, the standard Rev3 front brakes lock very easily in the wet because of the stiffer front springs.
The Toyota manual states that there is a 80/60 bias front to rear so disabling the compensator should allow an even bias.
I have entered for a hillclimb at Epynt this weekend and the weather forcast is torrential rain!
Phil
Last edited by filthy on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karammander

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Removing brake proportioning valve

Post by karammander »

i dont think there is a compensator? havnt seen one before.

cheers karam
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i'm sure there is one but i cannot remember what the proper name for is and where it is
filthy

Post by filthy »

I had another look at the Bible and it calls it the "Proportioning and By-pass valve" or "P & B valve assemby" for short.
But it omits to say where it is or what it looks like.

It keeps the brake bias 50/50 under light and moderate braking and then reduces the effort to the rear to approx 54/46 under heavy braking (for a Rev1 at least).

Plan is to replace this valve with an adustable in-cockpit type so I can move the bias rearward when it gets wet.
filthy

Post by filthy »

Found it.
On the Rev1 Manual it shows it being bolted to the master cylinder.
However this is different to my Rev3 which has a similar looking block bolted onto the inner wing a few inches below the master cylinder.

I think first experiment is to remove the Proportioning valve and replace with simple connectors. This should give 50/50 balance.
I will then need to try this in different conditions to see which end locks up first.
Then I will know whether the adjustable bias valve needs to be plumbed into the front or rear circuit.

Anybody tried this already?

Return to “Modifications”