[Mk2] [NA] new to this forum with a couple of questions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nick_rs2k

[Mk2] [NA] new to this forum with a couple of questions

Post by nick_rs2k »

hello all.
im new to this forum and new to jap cars. ive just put a deposit on a english mk2 MR2 t bar 1997 i pick the car up on saturday.
just done a quick search on the net and i cant find a MR2 MK2 haynes manual did they do a haynes manual for the mk2?

whats the standard toyota alarm on a 1997 MR2 are they thatcham approved, if so are they thatcham 1 or 2?

also a hello to person i met from this site (if you are reading) from the BHP performance car show in lydden kent the other week he was driving a black import MR2 tbar turbo M plate car with carbon bonnet.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [NA] new to this forum with a couple of questions

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hi chap,

No Haynes I'm afraid.

Not sure on the factory system, surely Toyota can advise? With a chassis number they can probably give you some exact info.
T
fearless

Post by fearless »

you can buy discs from ebay with lots of info on them, and you also see workshop manuals up for sale on there sometimes, but like said no haines
i sent them an email asking if thay could be put into production but thay said there would be not enough interest in it :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

isnt there a BGB in the knowledge base?
anything you need to know you can find on here anyway, some very clever peeps on here :thumleft:
blaster

Post by blaster »

Hi

Do web search for manuals one comes up there for mr2
nick_rs2k

Post by nick_rs2k »

thank you for all the replys i will search the net for manuals and i will be searching this site for info also.
only reason i was asking about the OEM alarm was i have a cat 1 alarm on my current car the mr2 is going to replace and i can take this off but i really dont want to be fitting it to a car that i dont know etc. i will find where my local dealer is and ask the question after i get the car. i do understand that talking about alarms is dodgy subject on a forum i use another forum for my other car and i pulled this up when a alarm manual was put up in a post to download i asked for it to be removed cos the manual was for the alarm system that i use on both of my cars.

after i get the car i will post some pics of it as the advert pics did not do the car justice, im keeping my current car for about month just in case i cant get on with the mr2 but im sure im going to get on with the MR2 :D
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

At best, I would imagine that the OE alarm would be cat2 in that it has a passive immobiliser. To gain cat1 it would have to have (at least) a battery backed up (independant of the cars battery) siren.

As for removing and reffitting a cat1 alarm from your present car to the MR2, you may well be able to, but unless you're a Thatcham approved installer, it won't be worth diddly.

For what it's worth if I were doing it to my car, I'd just go with a cat2 immobiliser. Nobody pays any real attention to an alarm going off nowdays and I honestly don't think they are a real detterent.

Just my 2p though :thumleft:
nick_rs2k

Post by nick_rs2k »

i was really only interested in the alarm so to make the car harder to nick i wasnt really looking to save money on the insurance as i dont think it makes that much difference to the insurance price having a cat 1, 2, or just alarm.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

nick_rs2k wrote:i was really only interested in the alarm so to make the car harder to nick i wasnt really looking to save money on the insurance as i dont think it makes that much difference to the insurance price having a cat 1, 2, or just alarm.

Hi and welcome to the club.

Best manual on the net are the members on here :thumleft:

I agree with Slarty, Alarms are a waste of time imo. Get yourself a good cat 1/2 immobiliser which may not knock money off your insurance but some insurance companys wont insure you with out one.

If you want something to make a noise then get one of those cheap 19.99 alarms (the 2 wire things) But get the immobiliser too.

Just my 5 pounds worth
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

nick_rs2k wrote:i was really only interested in the alarm so to make the car harder to nick i wasnt really looking to save money on the insurance as i dont think it makes that much difference to the insurance price having a cat 1, 2, or just alarm.

welcome to the site mate,
shame we didn't stay in the same neck of the woods because i'd be happy to get a decent alarm/immob fitted to your car,

the bgb seems to have used it's bandwidth but you could try downloading the following, it's a workshop manual which has been uploaded to the web... :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ht=#840348

just click onto the thread and follow the instructions, not a direct link

the manual is for the turbo model but you would be surprised how much is similar... :-k
nick_rs2k

Post by nick_rs2k »

cheers for all your replys.
ive now got the car i picked it up yesterday, after i got it home i was showing 1 of my friends and i was trying to look for the battery it took me about 15 minutes to work out where it was :-k thank you mrtree for that link to the manual ive downloaded it and im sure thats going to be very useful.

ive been doing a little bit more searching on the net and i think im going to stick with the factory alarm.
nick_rs2k

Post by nick_rs2k »

here is a pic of my MR2

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”