[Mk2] [Turbo] conecting rod bearing and main bearing(orrible pics added)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TUBBY-DEUCE

[Mk2] [Turbo] conecting rod bearing and main bearing(orrible pics added)

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

i wont know until the weekend but ive got a feeling my conecting rod bearing is knackered, can the work be carried out with the engine still in and sump removed?

cheers :thumleft:
Last edited by TUBBY-DEUCE on Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slarty

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] conecting rod bearing and main bearing

Post by Slarty »

2bornot2b wrote:i wont know until the weekend but ive got a feeling my conecting rod bearing is knackered, can the work be carried out with the engine still in and sump removed?

cheers :thumleft:

Depends on the extent of the damage and what's caused it.

You can remove / replace the big end bearings in situ, but you need to carefully inspect the pin journal (the part of the crank that the conrod "runs" on) for ANY damage whatsoever.

You'll also need to find out what has (potentially) caused the bearing to fail.

Good luck.
Century Motorsport

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] conecting rod bearing and main bearing(orrible pics added)

Post by Century Motorsport »

Before you take the conrods apart - number them all. Its imperitive you put the rod caps back on in the EXACT way you took them off. If you fit it 180 degrees out or on another rod you will know about it in approx 100miles.

You will soon see any damage caused - the crank should be a smooth surface, if its got any ridges on it, it needs to come out for a polish or a grind.

Another thing to note should be that the big end bearings should be held in the con-rod. If you take the caps off and they stay on the crank its a good sign your conrods are out of shape - this isnt essential but its another thing to consider.

Dont forget your mains - if your doing big ends you need to do mains too...

If you want to chat in more detail, call me on 07947883103 and i can give you some pointers.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

thanks very much, your helps greatly appreciated.
its the first time ive messed about with the bottom end, so im on a very steep learning curve.
diycinema

Post by diycinema »

Century Motorsport wrote:Before you take the conrods apart - number them all. Its imperitive you put the rod caps back on in the EXACT way you took them off. If you fit it 180 degrees out or on another rod you will know about it in approx 100miles.
Nathan

Toyota put match marks and numbers on the caps, i used these when rebuilding but obviously make sure they're there and not ambiguous.
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

sump came of today, not very happy about what i found.
you can see in the image below the connecting rod cap which holds the bearing, 2 had about 1mil play side to side, and the other 2 had slight play, i havent taken the caps off yet.
and in the picture below its visible to the the extent of damage im likely to find when the caps come off, this is what was in my sump!

im gonna need some pointers on how to remove the end caps etc to replace the bearings, my confidence level is pretty high at the moment, so i wanna get diving in to it.
any help and pointers would be greatly recieved :thumleft:

and also whats everyones opinions on what caused the damage, i suppose the main culprite being the oil pump :-k
diycinema

Post by diycinema »

The BGBs pretty good on this, there's some good tips like putting oil under the bolts before you torque them to get the right tension. They've also got big sections on checking everything's in spec. I got a set of these for about £30 from ebay.com:

Hopefully you haven't trashed the journals, i'd take it all out and inspect before you decide what to do. You've also got to figure the cause of the failure!
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

yeah i know mate, did you change your with engine in or out of car?
diycinema

Post by diycinema »

Yeah 3 of my pistons died so i had no choice but to take it all out. Took a couple of months but now everything fully rebuilt the cars perfect, well worth the effort! :)
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

thats what im seriously considering doing, but i cant bare not to have it on the road over the summer.

Return to “Mechanical”