[Mk2] [Turbo] Is it my LSD?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomwoodis

[Mk2] [Turbo] Is it my LSD?

Post by tomwoodis »

I've been experiencing some jolting problems whilst the car is put under load and i pull away whilst making a turn (some lock on either right or left). After consultation on here it was suggested that i had a sticky LSD and needed some friction modifier to put in with the oil.

Now I was about to do this when tonight things got a lot more serious. Now when i have the car in gear and make a turn i get serious jolting from the rear of the car and have a horrible graunching noise which sounds like its coming from the gearbox.

The jolting goes away when you take your foot off the gas pedal however the graunching continues even when free wheeling whilst in gear. When going in a straight line the noise is not present nor is the jolting.

Whatever it is is really quite bad almost to the point where i think i shouldn't be driving it.

Question is, does this sound like the LSD has gone for definate? If so what can be done about it, is this something that can be fixed or would it need replacing?

Cheers,

Tom
Jim S

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Is it my LSD?

Post by Jim S »

The very first thing I would do is take the filler plug out and check that there's some oil in the gearbox!!

If you lie next to the car on the gearbox side you can get to it infront of the rear wheel without jacking the car up.

They sell transmission oil in bottles with a long neck so you can poke them in the hole and then squeeze the fluid in.

I'm not sure what the LSD gearbox would need, but the normal one just takes ATF.

Good luck,

Jim

Return to “Mechanical”