[Mk2] [Turbo] traction control

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

prosser
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] traction control

Post by prosser »

not sure if this is the right section to put this in. Ive just brought a mr2 turbo with traction control i like to go down the drag strip when i had my old mr2 @ santa pod just didnt no if it would be better to leave the traction control on or turn it off any advice would be good and if any one has got traction control and been down santa pod have they tried a run with and without traction control on
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] traction control

Post by raptor95GTS »

i think the std system is set up for safety which I'm guessing isn't idea for the track
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

Turn it off and never turn it back on. The TRC on MR2's is very poor [-X

Its to slow to react when you need it, Then cuts in when going round a slow corner when there's no danger of breaking traction :twisted:
RANDOMr2

Post by RANDOMr2 »

Traction control! PAH!! What's that?? :twisted:
Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done!
In the South West, then check out
South West Performance Car also.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Had traction control on my last turbo and it was a pain more than anything. Firstly it kicked in way too often when there was no need and secondly there was a problem with the sensor which cause the TRC light to stay on when driving, very annoying having that bright light on at night. My current turbo is back to basics driving, doesn't have traction control or ABS but I like it that way.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

If your traction control light was on all the time or constantly turning on when you were just cruising around above 3K or so RPMs, then you might have had a partial compatability problem with your KPH to MPH converter like I did a couple of years ago, when my car had just been imported and made ready for its SVA test.

This threw up an 'Error code 42' when I checked the ECU for error codes, although there was no problem with the unit's actual conversion into MPH.

Peter (SBITS) - figured it out and helped me to sort this by fitting a fully compatible speed converter :thumleft:

The TRC light being on all the time is not evidence of the traction control activating. It's just a warning light telling you to check what's wrong.

The standard traction control will not operate unless there is quite a lot of wheelspin - this will be indicated by the TRC light flashing on/off - so if you are getting the light coming on and staying lit continuously mid-bend but don't notice any wheelspin, then you are most likely seeing the error light rather than actual operation of the traction control.

Going back to the original post however - I tried launching at York Raceway both with and without the standard traction control on and definately preferred without.

The reason being when I launched with higher revs I often got wheelspin off the line. This caused the traction control to activate and the car to 'bog down' making a slow start.

As someone mentioned it's more a device for safety rather than performance. It's also quite old technology - unlike the newer traction control systems like the racelogic that use spark cut and would probably help quite a lot with getting a good launch.
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

i had it on my tubby (still have the bits from it lol)

i thought it was a clever system, would help kill off oversteer but didnt interfere too much for driving. plus you could switch it off :D
prosser
Premium Member

Post by prosser »

thats what i thought it might be handy if im a little heavy footed in the rain which i have been know for lol :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”