Insurance

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

classic mk1

Insurance

Post by classic mk1 »

Does anyone know where a 19 yearold might be able to get insured on a mk1.
millentubby

Re: Insurance

Post by millentubby »

I went with Admiral when I was 19 on my mk1 - try them, elephant and bell as they're were and still are consistently cheaper than anywhere else.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

We might be able to do it, depending if you've had your licence 2 years and if you have any no claims. We'd only be able to do it 3rd party fire and theft.

The joys of being a young driver :(
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Negativvv

Post by Negativvv »

The mk1 is one of the more insure-able sports cars for young drivers, not sure why as its reasonably quick and its layout will probably catch out new drivers lol 8-[
I could have got one at about 19 for £1k tpft, which was dammn good considering i live in rubbish London! :roll: Ended up going BMW for a few years which actually cost more on insurance, double :roll:
classic mk1

Post by classic mk1 »

Is it me or are insurance companies and solicitors in the same league SHARKS. Had a look over on the MR2 Owners club site re insurance and noticed sky insurance ad "official insurer of the MR2 Owners club"and "cover your car completely" it states, so why only offer thrd prt f&f. The differance between 3rd party and fully comp has reduced considerably over recent years, why not offer fully comp with higher excess. I personally feel sorry for the majority of young people to being tarred with the same brush because of a few idiots. Insurance companies are the only people happy with this as its a win win situation. even us the older more experienced drivers are paying well over the odds being told its due to boy racers and repair costs pushing premiuns up overall. [-X
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

classic mk1 wrote:Is it me or are insurance companies and solicitors in the same league SHARKS. Had a look over on the MR2 Owners club site re insurance and noticed sky insurance ad "official insurer of the MR2 Owners club"and "cover your car completely" it states, so why only offer thrd prt f&f.

It is because of your age. Young drivers are high risk simple as that.

You could try Houghton (Mk1 club insurer)
classic mk1

Post by classic mk1 »

Ollie @ Skyinsurance wrote:
classic mk1 wrote:Is it me or are insurance companies and solicitors in the same league SHARKS. Had a look over on the MR2 Owners club site re insurance and noticed sky insurance ad "official insurer of the MR2 Owners club"and "cover your car completely" it states, so why only offer thrd prt f&f.

It is because of your age. Young drivers are high risk simple as that.

You could try Houghton (Mk1 club insurer)

How very wrong can you be, if you said it is due to a new drivers lack of experience and that some are more prone to accidents than others it would be true. To say new driver covers all ages which is closer the truth. The cost of car insurance in general is pitched just below the consumer watchdogs interest . :-$
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

:?

I'm trying to help you out here buddy!!

When you are my age (26) your insurance will come down, it will be a few hundred a year rather than a grand plus a year.

I'm not wrong when I say that young drivers are a higher risk, statistics prove that! If you owned an insurance company, would you offer the same price for insurance to a 40 year and 20 year old when the 20 year old is statistically more likely to crash and claim?

We do make some young drivers happy :roll: I quote:

"Just swapped my policy over to Sky and did me the best deal ever.

£721 with all mods declared for a 20yr old with 1yrs ncb.

The next best quote was of Flux £750 which ant bad as most other companies where quoting £800 +

Also unlike all the other insurence companies i phoned these guys knew what they where talking about, you wouldnt believe how many times i had to explain what coilovers where to all the other insurance companies.

Top Blokes! real nice to talk to"
HT

Post by HT »

classic mk1 wrote:Does anyone know where a 19 yearold might be able to get insured on a mk1.

Dont take this the wrong way but why not wait a year or two and build some no claims up on somethign a lot more reasonable to insure. :)
classic mk1

Post by classic mk1 »

The insurance is not for me, my son has finnished his Mk1 and wants to put it on the road. Lets face it the standard Mk1 is no speed machine by todays standards. :)
first-footer

Post by first-footer »

I have mine insured with Lancaster Insurance fully comp on a classic policy for £120 .This gives me 4000 miles a year and has my wife also on the policy.Might be worth a try .
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I was told by Churchill that I had to be over 21 to insure mine.

I went to Admiral, and they were pretty reasonable. I paid £700 TPFT when I was 20. Then when I turned 21 it went down to about £500.

I went to Adrian Flux this year, and I pay £285. But AF are right hand jockeys when it comes to doing their jobs properly and they misplace paperwork!
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

I bought my mk1 as my first car at 25. Classic insurance through the mk1 club cost me £950 fully comp. I'd looked at getting it covered under a standard policy but the best quote I could get was over £2k.

The downsides to classic cover is that you usually have to go with limited mileage, be over 21, often need to own another car and the biggest issue to a young driver is that you never build any no claims bonus. This becomes a real problem if you think that it's time to get a newer car and find that at 28 with ten years incident free driving and advance qualifications your insurance would increase even for a small engined city car! :mad:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have been given an Advanced Driving Course as a birthday present from my Sister, so I will get 25% off my insurance from Adrian Flux :D

I got told by half a dozen insurance companies that I was too young, so I disagree, that its not one of the more insurable cars!

Adrian Flux are cheap mate
omracing

Post by omracing »

first-footer wrote:I have mine insured with Lancaster Insurance fully comp on a classic policy for £120 .This gives me 4000 miles a year and has my wife also on the policy.Might be worth a try .

Can you send me a PM with their contact details. I already have classic car insurance but pay more than that. Thanks :thumleft:
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I have been given an Advanced Driving Course as a birthday present from my Sister, so I will get 25% off my insurance from Adrian Flux :D

Which course is this? I've passed the IAM course but the best I can get is 10% although that is classed as an owners club discount so the advanced part doesn't really count for anything (basically I can either claim for IMOC members discount or an advanced pass but not both) :roll:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”