[Mk2] [Turbo] Airbags

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

[Mk2] [Turbo] Airbags

Post by toxo »

I've got a MK3 (1994) tubby in which the previous owner had installed a TOMs (It has their logo on it anyway) steering wheel, which IMHO is horrible to drive with. It feels like it's been polished so it slides out of your hands far too easily, it's literaly impossible to activate the horn without punching the hub, and it has no airbag.

How can I tell whether my car had a drivers airbag originally, and if it did how can I tell if the gubbins are all still there? Obviously the bag itself isn't, but I would assume there's a bunch of electrics which decide when to set it off and a loom that goes vaguelly near the current steering wheel which is now not connected to anything? If someone could stick up some pictures somewhere then I could compare. I'd like to stick a standard airbagged steering wheel back on, I think they look quite tidy :wink:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Airbags

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

a 1994 turbo (Mk2 Revision 3) will not have an airbag.

The revision 4 (96+) came with airbags.

Got a steering wheel if you need though! :lol:

Luke
agentturbo

Post by agentturbo »

sorry luke...went to see a 1995 car last night for sale which claimed it was a rev3 turbo...but it was a 1992 turbo...brought over from ireland can tell from the number plates... way back when, when they were doing the extra years on the cars scam...
but it did have a steering wheel air bag...not sure if it was connected though to any sensors...
i have my rev5 turbo steering wheel on my rev3 ..not connected..
but i have seen a few rev3 turbo,s on auto trader..with dealer claiming drivers air bag...not sure if it was an option...
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

ah cheers for that.

The best way to tell an MR2's production date is the seat belt tag. If that's been cut, run away!

Best way, vehicles that are meant to have an airbag, will have the light on the dash when the ign is on.

luke

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”