[Mk2] [NA] frozen rear brakes

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bpascua

[Mk2] [NA] frozen rear brakes

Post by bpascua »

Hello All,

It was very cold last night, this morning my handbrake seemed to be siezed on. I drove about 1/4 of a mile in the hope they would free off and in the end they did. My question is do my calipers need serviceing or is this as a result of the temperatures? the cars my 97 NA.

Thanks

Brian
Club Tropicana

Re: [Mk2] [NA] frozen rear brakes

Post by Club Tropicana »

Had exactly the same thing this morning, but mine did'nt free off. Its the handbrake cables freezing. I was absolutely furious this morning (cue Basil Faulty whacking car with branch). 1 hour late for work today - had to borrow Mrs' car this morning. I WONT be leaving my handbrake on tonight....
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Its pretty common, best to leave it with the handbrake off, wheels chocked and in gear! Thats what I do, although it doesn't stop the damn locks freezing up tho :evil:
R220

Post by R220 »

Came on here about to say 'Has my rear caliper broken?' because this morning my rear driver side brake was locked on...didnt realise at first, car felt very hesitant but i thought it was just a cold engine, next thing i know smoke comming off my rear driver side wheel !

Never known brakes to freeze on, is this common on mr2's ?
Club Tropicana

Post by Club Tropicana »

Yes. The rubber boots persish over time, allowing moisture in between the cable and its sleave. I only drove it for a mile with it stuck on, there was a bit of smoke coming from the pads, I hope I have'nt warped the disc or ruined the pads :-k ....
R220

Post by R220 »

Im actually quite happy to hear this as im skint and i thought i was in for new rear calipers and my MOT is due in 2 weeks. Had to get a lift into work, hopefully it will be ok when i get back!

If you leave the handbrake off does it stop this happening then ?
Club Tropicana

Post by Club Tropicana »

All will be fine with it tonight. Leave it in gear overnight when its cold (preferably chocked).
bpascua

Post by bpascua »

Oh well looks like a few others had this last night. I too was very p**d off to be an hour late for work. My only concern is that generally if you have sticky calipers the advice is to use your handbrake as often as possible to avoid it seizing. So are we saying dont stop using your handbrake but best not to apply it if its going to be very cold? surely if your calipers are working 100% this wouldnt happen.....?

|Cheers

Brian
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I had to take the Toyota surf to work this morning, bloody handbrake froze on too #-o Must remember to leave handbrake off when cold..... i always forget... Nice to hear im not the only one still doing it :tongue:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

R220- yes this will stop the hanbrake freezing in the on position, but be aware that it does mean your handbrake might freeze in the off position! So if you stop on a steep hill before its thawed out remember to use the footbrake dont go yanking on the lever :lol:
R220

Post by R220 »

Greddy-Matt wrote:R220- yes this will stop the hanbrake freezing in the on position, but be aware that it does mean your handbrake might freeze in the off position! So if you stop on a steep hill before its thawed out remember to use the footbrake dont go yanking on the lever :lol:

thanks for the tip didnt think about that, best get used to leaving it in gear this winter.

As the rubber boots must be leaking water in for this to happen - will the car pass an MOT ?
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Mine passed, but not sure if thats because its not a fail or if the MOT station were being lazy :D I "think" the only time you fail on a handbrake is if it isn't efficent enough/uses too much lever travel....
Club Tropicana

Post by Club Tropicana »

bpascua wrote:Oh well looks like a few others had this last night. I too was very p**d off to be an hour late for work. My only concern is that generally if you have sticky calipers the advice is to use your handbrake as often as possible to avoid it seizing. So are we saying dont stop using your handbrake but best not to apply it if its going to be very cold? surely if your calipers are working 100% this wouldnt happen.....?

|Cheers

Brian

The calipers dont seize/freeze, but the handbrake cables connected to them do. Even if you had brand new calipers it would still happen.
skytek

Post by skytek »

When I got home last night it was freezing cold and luckily I decided to leave the handbrake off and the car in gear just incase. I'm so glad I did now! \:D/ My handbrake was frozed off this morning and the doors were frozen shut in the -7 temps. I hope the weather warms up a bit in the next week [-o<
philw

Post by philw »

Heh glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem today.

Must remember to leave the handbrake off tonight!
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Heh glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem today.

Must remember to leave the handbrake off tonight!

And leave the car in gear right...
:wink:
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

It even says in the handbook to not use the hand brake when it's cold!! (I'm assuming that's what it means, my Japanese isn't great!)

Nik
R220

Post by R220 »

lol good'ol JDM instructions :lol:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

BTW if your handbrake does freeze up, its not a million miles away from the exhaust and engine bay so runnning your car will thaw it out too.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Woohoo!!

This is SUCH a relief. Had this exact trouble this morning. Very reluctant car - clearly brake stuck on. Fair bit of smoke after the 1.5 mile drive to work. Worried though because calipers have recently been unseized by mechanics when I got rear discs + pads done.

Even went to Mr T for a ball-park quote and nearly choked at the cost of new calipers + labour: approaching £700!! A definite bit too much considering I need a C service (quote £397). A tad worried about MOT implications (mine's due in 2 weeks), but it's certainly looking up!

Return to “Mechanical”