Why has the Toyota MR2 not evolved into the mk4?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rowland

Why has the Toyota MR2 not evolved into the mk4?

Post by Rowland »

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about this today and wondered about how fellow imoc’ers see things.

Following two earlier successful models, Toyota develop the all new mk3 MR2 on sale for 1999.
It retails new for £18k or so and enters a tough market against the likes of the MG, Honda and the market leader, the Mazda MX5.
Sales are steady, criticism and praise is generally balanced.
Mazda continue to dominate the sports convertible market and in 2005/06 unveil a new model. A model with more grunt, and styling to match.
And Toyota, well…nothing!

With production of the MR2 set to cease this year, if not already, where is Toyota's latest offering to rival the MX5 etc?
I’m sure the market is crying out for the next breed of Toyota sports convertible. Or maybe I’m wrong?
Why have Toyota not developed a 210 bhp, beautifully styled, sub 1000kg MR2 for under £20k?

It annoys me that the pedigree of the MR2 range is to be dropped altogether.
For me the mk3 wasn’t/isn’t perfect, but surely to give the people what they want, i.e more power and styling so great it’ll still turn heads in 2010+ and sales will blossom.

Or won't they?

Thoughts, comments welcome.

Rowland

:D
Tony jinxy froude

Re: Why has the Toyota MR2 not evolved into the mk4?

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Hi Rowland, im sure i read somewhere that although the MK3 was being dropped, there were plans to make a MK4, i could be wrong, but im sure i read it on this forum somewhere. Have you done a search for it ?, cheers, Jinxy
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

I read that the plan was to discontinue the Celica and MR2.

I think Toyota are going to eco to carry on with any kind of sporting car.

It's be nice if they did make a MK4. But like the supra, the days are numbered for the 2.
craig

Post by craig »

I reckon even if they did make a MK4, it wouldn't be a patch on the MK2.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

RedMR² wrote:I reckon even if they did make a MK4, it wouldn't be a patch on the MK2.

You know what, I think this true.

The MK2 is a great car in all aspects. Toyota have failed thus far in improving it in all areas.
DaveyC

Post by DaveyC »

I also read that toyota are going eco and wont be making supras..etc..anylonger, what with emissions laws etc,

live in hope!
Stefen

Post by Stefen »

DaveyC wrote:I also read that toyota are going eco and wont be making supras..etc..anylonger, what with emissions laws etc,

live in hope!

See http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/sho ... php?t=3903
derryt

Post by derryt »

I think thats based on the Lexus LFA-10 concept......
Don't think-feel; it is like a finger pointing to the moon, do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory........

my old car-http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2091260
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Has anyone seen a current toyota?

I've had the fortune of driving behind a few avensis of recent and my god they're the most BORING car on the road. Even for their segment they're dull and don't get me started on the prius.

Also, if the current gen celica is anything to go by i'd rather they killed the MR2 where it is now as that's somewhat fugly.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

ENSMR2 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:I reckon even if they did make a MK4, it wouldn't be a patch on the MK2.

The MK2 is a great car in all aspects. Toyota have failed thus far in improving it in all areas.

I don't agree with that, the MK3 is the best MR2 IMO, certainly as a drivers car anyway. The MK2 didn't follow the original concept and became something else entirely, though the MK3 at least harked back to it in the form of a small lightweight 'runabout 2 seater'.. MK2 is more of a GT car, some like it, some don't.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:
ENSMR2 wrote:

I don't agree with that, the MK3 is the best MR2 IMO, certainly as a drivers car anyway. The MK2 didn't follow the original concept and became something else entirely, though the MK3 at least harked back to it in the form of a small lightweight 'runabout 2 seater'.. MK2 is more of a GT car, some like it, some don't.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinions and I reckon that you only look at the car from a drivers POV....I however look at the MK2 from another angle:

Best looks
Best Interior
Best Power
:mrgreen:

I do agree that the MK1 can outhandle a MK2 but that's only if it doesn't turn into a cloud of rust at the mere hint of chassis flex on a corner.

MK3 just doesn't cut it for me, looks too much like the boxter/MX5 era IMO.

The MK2 is just a sexy sports coupe which although not the best handling out of the 3, It is definately the best (in my opinion.)
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

While i'm not fond of the mk3 styling i have to say =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Now that's how they should have looked (sans GT spoiler)
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

RedMR² wrote:
Lauren wrote:
ENSMR2 wrote:

Obviously you are entitled to your opinions and I reckon that you only look at the car from a drivers POV....I however look at the MK2 from another angle:

Best looks
Best Interior
Best Power
:mrgreen:

I do agree that the MK1 can outhandle a MK2 but that's only if it doesn't turn into a cloud of rust at the mere hint of chassis flex on a corner.

MK3 just doesn't cut it for me, looks too much like the boxter/MX5 era IMO.

The MK2 is just a sexy sports coupe which although not the best handling out of the 3, It is definately the best (in my opinion.)

My thoughts are similar.

However I believe the MK2 is a better handling car then a MK1 in the right hands. I believe Pat has done well in the MR2 challenge. The general feeling is the MK1 gives better "feedback".

The MK1 was smaller and a lot less powerfull. The MK2 was slightly bigger, better boot space, powerfull in Turbo/BEAMS guise and great to look at. Also it DOES handle well, if you respect it enough and know what you are doing.

MK3 smaller no boot space slower. All it does is have better handling. Failure in my eyes.

If they did do a MK4 I'm sure they'd go back to the MK2 and say "how'd we ruin this car with that boxter wannabe"

N

:)
derryt

Post by derryt »

i personally think the mk3 should have rolled out of the factory with the veilside kit on it, then it would have been a very sexy car.........
Don't think-feel; it is like a finger pointing to the moon, do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory........

my old car-http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2091260
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Interesting to hear some reasoning behind that.
Although in a way I kind of agree from my own point of view.
I certainly see the mk2 as the most iconic MR2 made. Back in 1990 1991 it was the car I saw and desperately wanted my dad to have, so I could be seen in it.
Alas we were poor and he bought a Vauxhall Viva or something, but the mk2 MR2 from a youngsters point of view, seemed amazing in all resects.
And I guess that has in a way retained itself inside me.
Back then very little looked like the mk2 MR2, it had supercar looks and was often described as 'a baby ferrari'

The 90's were all about style and that's where the mk2 sneaked and scored a hit.
The mk3 failed in some respects to achieve 'in this particular area' what the mk2 had done despite Toyota's best efforts at the time.

An iconic mk4 MR2 would soon put to bed any rumours that the 'true' MR2 was dead and buried IMO....
craig

Post by craig »

These days I think that cars are designed with the "who can be the most futuristic" in mind over style in some respects....

That and the fact that pop up lights are no longer considered to be a style icon.

I would like to see the MR2 continue in production but I think it is fair to say that they will never get it as good as the MK2.

Perhaps slightly biased in my opinion, but just my 2p on the discussion.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

I honestly think if toyota do a MK4 they would look at all MK's.

But I'm sure they'll take more ideas from the MK2 though. Power wise, space wise etc etc.

The MK2 was an icon, the others just existed.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RedMR² wrote:These days I think that cars are designed with the "who can be the most futuristic" in mind over style in some respects....

That and the fact that pop up lights are no longer considered to be a style icon.

I would like to see the MR2 continue in production but I think it is fair to say that they will never get it as good as the MK2.

Perhaps slightly biased in my opinion, but just my 2p on the discussion.

I think pop up lights are a no, no due to what they do to pedestrians in an impact. I think toyoda are going to have their work cut out to compete with the new MX5 which looks to be a very good car.

Take off those rose tinted spectacles.. ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
craig

Post by craig »

You're only saying take of the rose tinted spectacles because your opinion differs with mine :wink:

and yes I am slightly biased....but, what MK of MR2 do the majority of IMOC own? Figures don't lie :wink:
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Lauren,

I say just steal a load of mx-5 minus shells and slap on a mk2 body with a few minor improvements and sorted.

Seriously though. Modern suspension set up is al lthe mk2 needs.and a few body improvements to keep it modern.

The thing is the mk2 still looks good today. It's shape is known to be a few years old now, not because it looks it but because it's been around since the early 90's. That is a styling success. Unlike the wedge mk1 unfortunatly :(

MK4 I think should go on from the MK2.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”