exhaust problem part 2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

The TVIS Kid

exhaust problem part 2

Post by The TVIS Kid »

In my first post about my exhaust i thought it was vibarting from the manifold (or heatsheild as i was told) but i had it up on the ramps today and its blowing where the exhaust downpipe meets the exhaust (all the way round i think). It seems to have three bolts that hold it on.

The exhaust has that damn heat sheild all the way round so is near impossible to see it. Is there a gasket between the downpipe and exhaust? I would think it is more likely to be the exhaust that has gone rather than the downpipe. How does the exhaust fit into the downpipe, does it just push in?

Finally, how much can you get the front bit of the exhaust or the downpipe for (money wise) and does anyone know any good places to look.
p_j_smith

Re: exhaust problem part 2

Post by p_j_smith »

if you are saying where the 4 into 2 manifold joins the 2 pipe exhaust before it goes into 1, there are 2 round gaskets here, £1.50 ish from Mr T, or £1 ish form motor factors.

The bolts that hold it on also had flattened ends to prevent them from comming loose, maybe get three new ones if you are worried.

I always use a bit of exhaust cement when I put mine togther, just makes sure it does not leak if the gaskets do not seal right. (over kill maybe but I had a leak here before I did this)

oh, and don't forget to do them up to the correct torque.

Cheers

Peter
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Gasket:- T90917-06039 £1.37 each
Stud:- T90116-10058 £2.20 each
Nut:- T90179-10070 £0.80 each

Unless you use the correct nuts it will continually come loose and blow :wink:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

yep change the gaskets a 15 min job. its very unlikely your exhaust has blown here. the flexy pipe makes it an easy job.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”