Calling oil pressure gauge runners!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Calling oil pressure gauge runners!

Post by androo007 »

hi guys,

really quick favour to ask if i may.... if you run an oil pressure gauge in your car, please could you take a quick video of cold startup and post up?

Got my Stack gauges wired in today and spoke to Pete, thankfully not running low oil pressure (yes!) but just interested to see how quickly pressure build for you guys on a cold engine. please shout if mechanial or electric gauges.....

I think mine is sluggish and so Pete is getting prepped for me to come up and sort everything out in one hit but as this is new to me (never paid attention to the pressure speed in the 350z) just keen to see other people.

thanks so much

Andy
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Calling oil pressure gauge runners!

Post by Martin F »

I am away out for a wee drive now so will take note and report back in a few hours :thumleft:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

My pressure gauge would build up high within a few seconds of starting, then when the oil was up to temp is would come down to a lower pressure.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I got the very same gauge and cold start pressure is immediate. Then settles once warm. My cold Pressures is 75psi , but my Pressures won't matter as depends on clearances,oil , location etc.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Actually location may be a factor mines taken from the ports next to filter so the head may be delayed slightly as pressure builds.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Martin F wrote:I am away out for a wee drive now so will take note and report back in a few hours :thumleft:

well mine was a total fail because as soon as I start the engine the gauge goes into disco mode, settles after around 3 seconds and says 74 psi. That figure can change from car to car depending on sensor location, oil and revs etc. so is a ball park figure :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks a lot guys.

Martin, if you leave on ignition to do its thang, finish the YMCA routine then start cam you see?

Good points of block plugs (rev 3 block) vs me with an extended head lead.

I guess I was hoping for a case of you show me yours and I'll show you mine more so... even tried youpood but no luck.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

gnzyza wrote:I got the very same gauge and cold start pressure is immediate. Then settles once warm. My cold Pressures is 75psi , but my Pressures won't matter as depends on clearances,oil , location etc.

What he said. I fit stack gauges a few months back. At cold, about 75psi idle, as high as 85-90 if you set straight off and allow the revs to climb a little (off boost).

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”