Recommended ground clearance

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shane34
Premium Member

Recommended ground clearance

Post by shane34 »

Hi anyone got any advice on ground clearance below the subframe. I'm guessing my only issues are speed bumps which the wheel will miss and therefor may catch the middle.

Anyone had issues outside of speed ramps.
Gullzter

Re: Recommended ground clearance

Post by Gullzter »

Subframe will be absolutely fine, what you should worry about most is front bumper and flexi section of exhaust, that's where I always found problems first when lowering.
If you have a stock front bumper then that can take abuse but the flexi section would be my worry if you have an aftermarket exhaust :sick:
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Agree with Gullzter.... the flexi on the exhaust is the weak point, everything else underneath is pretty much flush with the bottom of the car so shouldn't cause any issues really. It all depends how low you plan to go with the car, the wheel size/tyre size your running etc.
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Sorry guys should really have been more detailed

I dont have an exhaust to worry about, it more about what gap would be recommended? Between floor and say front spliter

I've read the internets some have said 110mm is the standard clearance on a Rx8

Would that seem a good ground clearance to aim for? Any experience? I'm introducing ducting and deflection plates. Most will become clear with my build thread later on.

I'll be experimenting this weekend
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Multi-story car park up-ramps and down-ramps can be a problem even with stock suspension.

I can remember one car park where I went up a few levels no problem although it looked close, but grounded the nose cone on a few of the down ramps on the round-out to horizontal. That was going at a snails pace as it looked so close to grounding.

I did mention it to the council that managed that car park but they were more interested in not having a claim for nose cone damage than doing anything about the car park.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Went on a Channel ferry recently... glad I was not in the mr2 as that probably would have grounded.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Went on the ferry a couple of months ago, stock ride height. Could have gone a bit lower and not had a problem.
Never even think about the stock height, smash around the roads like any other daily driver.

Mate had -40mm on a rev1, that used to touch a fair bit and scrape on things like straddle speed humps.
The roads are just not good enough for that all out racer look and it really limits the use of the car.

I'm trying to think about winter in the snow, too low and the front will become a plough.

Did find one speed hump that was such a lump that even the stock suspension scraped the belly a tiny bit.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

If it's the front you are worried about, first question would be what bumper/splitter do you have?
A poly or stock lip will be able to take more abuse than the likes of a fibreglass lip or bumper, also bear in mind different bumpers and lips will sit further forward/backwards than others so the further forward it is, the less clearance you will have.
I'll measure what my clearance is for you today although I reckon I could get it down a few more mm
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

I'm looking to create a system from the subframe back under the boot, it will just be deflection fins, the lower I get the more air deflection I can achieve for the boot mount

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”