Knock sensor location and ease of removal? also how to test?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

Knock sensor location and ease of removal? also how to test?

Post by masterbateson »

As the title suggests, I was wondering where the knock sensor is located, how easy or not it is to get too and finally how can you test it other than swapping out.

Also for the dummies amongst us, could a very knowledgeable person possibly educate us into what the sensor does/how it works?

Ta
Me
outrun

Re: Knock sensor location and ease of removal? also how to test?

Post by outrun »

It's easy to access and remove.
You will find it beneath the inlet, screwed into the block, over towards the off side iirc. If memory serves, it is 22mm.

Test the resitance with a multi meter, to see if it falls within spec.

Are you getting error 52?
masterbateson

Re: Knock sensor location and ease of removal? also how to test?

Post by masterbateson »

Thanks for that! :thumleft:
I havent checked the ecu for error codes for a while so that will be first thing before i even start messing.

Still spending far to long checking ABS error codes and trying to rectify that on a shoe string.

No I was just sat in my chair thinking, and had remembered reading a few posts were people had mentioned that part as a suspect for poor or under performing running.

Car when it has been on the road and it hasn't for a while, some times runs like a dream/scalded cat and other times you take her out and she seems to hesitate in boosting/running well.
Other times she will be pulling away and boosting and the car seems to back off mid boost.
Thing is tho, I wonder if it could be something as simple as its not happy with the fuel?
I have filled the car up last two times from a garage that only sells regular petrol.
Next tank I am going to put shell one with the higher octane.
Also want to check wiring for the Lamda sensor is right, as it had snapped off and I am unsure if its been reconnected to right wiring? :shock:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”