Standard tyre size

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Kyle

Standard tyre size

Post by MR2Kyle »

I know this has been covered many MANY times but I am having some issues buying rear tyres for the last set of standard wheels fitted to the mk2... Are they the same size a the early mk2 alloys? :-k
If so could I just swap the tyres onto the newer set? Thanks in advance and an answer asap would be hugely appreciated!!!! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
Mk2 rev3 1993 NA Turquoise
Mk2 rev5 1999 Cosmos Blue with st215 conversion 😉
Mullen

Re: Standard tyre size

Post by Mullen »

Rev1 had 14" rims. Rev2/3/4/5 were all 15".
195 on the fronts and 225 on the rears as standard.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Standard factory fit tyres for the 15" were Yokohama A 022 if I remember correctly. They were awesome tyres. You could ruin a set of rears between 9k services if driven hard but great grip.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

mr2garageswindon wrote:Standard factory fit tyres for the 15" were Yokohama A 022 if I remember correctly. They were awesome tyres. You could ruin a set of rears between 9k services if driven hard but great grip.

They were indeed awesome....in the dry.

They were also absolutely lethal in the wet =;
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

You've probably heard but on the off chance you've not, Demon Tweeks are doing a Bank Holiday deal on Toyo's.
Buy 3 get the 4th free on T1R's.
Not sure what sizes they carry in 15" as I have 16"s mind you.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

JohnnyC wrote:
mr2garageswindon wrote:Standard factory fit tyres for the 15" were Yokohama A 022 if I remember correctly. They were awesome tyres. You could ruin a set of rears between 9k services if driven hard but great grip.

Haha yeah they were as the parts guy found out taking a customers for MOT on a Saturday morning... Half mile straight, 90 degree left turn... Oops. Backwards into a field, much damage. Worse still the customer was waiting for it. I wish I had heard the excuses. :oops:
JD

Post by JD »

mr2garageswindon wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

Haha yeah they were as the parts guy found out taking a customers for MOT on a Saturday morning... Half mile straight, 90 degree left turn... Oops. Backwards into a field, much damage. Worse still the customer was waiting for it. I wish I had heard the excuses. :oops:

Flippin' heck, I'd be absolutely livid.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Mullen wrote:You've probably heard but on the off chance you've not, Demon Tweeks are doing a Bank Holiday deal on Toyo's.
Buy 3 get the 4th free on T1R's.
Not sure what sizes they carry in 15" as I have 16"s mind you.

For 15s the website says "Available for dispatch in 7 days".

Dont know if they actually have them in stock.
For 16s it gave the same response.
For 18s it says "In stock for immediate dispatch"

I guess that means they dont really have the 15s in stock so how long someone really has to wait is anyones guess - the 15s are getting harder to find until Toyo make some more (dependent on getting enough demand?).

The alternative tyre brands for the 15s are way more expensive.
I am now on Pirelli as I needed tyres before an MOT... much better grip and more fun. No idea how long they will last.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I've got 16"s from DT saved in my ebay watch list and it says they have more than 10 available for immediate next-day dispatch.

Might be an idea to ring them.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”