Gearbox filler washers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr299ron

Gearbox filler washers

Post by mr299ron »

Really stupid question, but what size washers do I need when replacing the gearbox oil? I know I need crush washers, but what size..

thanks
mr2garageswindon

Re: Gearbox filler washers

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Are they missing? Generally you can re use them without any issue, not as such a crush washer like the nasty copper ones but a solid ally washer.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I'd never recommend re-using them 8-[

I used to get mine from Toyota, that way I knew they were the correct size.
mr2garageswindon

I've been re using them for years without any issue. Even in Toyota main dealer they were never carried in the parts dept or issued with the service parts. Each to their own. Of course if you have new ones then fit em but otherwise don't bother. Re fill the box, take it for a spin, re check the level and of course check for leaks. I'm sure if they are original they'd be ok, unless someone over tightened and ruined them.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

For the sake of a couple of quid, get new ones :wink:
It takes Toyota two days to get stuff in.
mr2garageswindon

Lol when has anything been a couple of quid from toyota? I Ordered gearbox assembly paste from em last week... Smaller than a tube of tooth paste.. £86!! :pale:
JD

Post by JD »

mr2garageswindon wrote:Lol when has anything been a couple of quid from toyota? I Ordered gearbox assembly paste from em last week... Smaller than a tube of tooth paste.. £86!! :pale:

Which dealer did you order through?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

The Swindon Toyota dealership seems very pricey.
I've ordered some gaskets for my exhaust. £7 for one crush gasket. Hate to think how much the turbo gaskets gonna be!
craig

Post by craig »

markstevieandmads wrote:The Swindon Toyota dealership seems very pricey.
I've ordered some gaskets for my exhaust. £7 for one crush gasket. Hate to think how much the turbo gaskets gonna be!

You pay the price, you get quality oem parts.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Always reused mine and never a leak.
JD

Post by JD »

Beadles Toyota seem to have much better prices than other dealer networks.

Call 01634 377344 and ask for parts dept. They're customer service is excellent. Bought an intake mani gasket and to make sure it arrived safe they packed it padded between two blank toyota number plates :)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

RedMR² wrote:

You pay the price, you get quality oem parts.

sometimes you pay way over the odds for something because it comes in a bag with toyota printed on it.. I totally agree with using OEM stuff where it counts.. for the most part you can get parts as good (often exactly the same part) , if not better than OE spec from independent suppliers, assuming you buy branded parts i.e gates timing belts, brembo/pagid/mintex discs/pads etc

would I go to Toyota for a sump washer, hose clip, nut, bolt, screw, O ring, bulb etc? not in a million years. I do/would however go to the main stealer for things like gaskets, engine internals (unless upgrading) etc

re: the gearbox filler washer, I've never needed to replace one in my life (including working on cars for a living years ago) they simply don't get enough abuse to warrant it, you'll be lucky if gearbox oil gets changed two/three times in a typical car's lifetime and the plug doesn't get flogged up tight enough to damage the washer.

Re: the turbo gaskets. the manifold to turbo is about £35, the turbo to downpipe is around £40. £75 is cheap compared to having to take it all apart again if you use a cheapo ebay gasket.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
mr2garageswindon

Yep Fish Brothers Toyota in Swindon, I worked for them for over 10 years but they do seem more expensive than other dealers.
Depends on what I need and how quickly I need it as to whether its worth shopping around for parts.
Toyota... think of a normal price the triple it! Quality does cost and for some things I would only go OEM.
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

JD wrote:Beadles Toyota seem to have much better prices than other dealer networks.

Call 01634 377344 and ask for parts dept. They're customer service is excellent. Bought an intake mani gasket and to make sure it arrived safe they packed it padded between two blank toyota number plates :)

+11111111

A good friend works at this main stealer as long as you avoid him you'll be fine :lol: but seriously the service is excellent (as you can see from JD's experience) these guys love their mr2's and Supras and certainly know their stuff. Pretty sure head mechanic has mint 400bhp mr2 still.
Jason at beadles parts maidstone also comes highly recommended (also does up to 20% discount if you ask) :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”