[Mk2] [Turbo] Best thing for Oxidised paintwork

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattyboy44

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best thing for Oxidised paintwork

Post by mattyboy44 »

Now my cars running Ok I can start to get on with trying to improve a few things. First thing I want to do is to restore the paintwork as its a black car and is suffering from terrible oxidisation and looks white and cloudy in places.

What I want to know is can I restore/improve this paintwork and what's the best stuff to use and best way to do it.
super

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best thing for Oxidised paintwork

Post by super »

If you decide to get a man in, I can recommend http://indetailad.co.uk/

Otherwise, I'd suggest you have the car mopped, as you'll need a cutting agent to get to the good paint. Unless you have the tools already, I would call the above guy and have him do it. It's a back breaking job.

I have plenty of potions here, if you want to try some yourself though. Auto Glym is OK, also, try http://www.shyauto.com/ Their stuff is excellent.

Cheers,

John
Nails

Post by Nails »

you need a good cutting compound and preferably a rotary. A da will do but will take much longer.
I did outruns on friday night. Used G3 then megs professional cleaner/cutting. Then chemical guys glaze followed by jetseal. Took from around 8pm to 4am not stopping and 2 of us me mopping and outrun misting and wiping.

I've got a few pics of afterwards but not before. It was quite oxidised all over especially around the engine lid. The spoiler was so bad it looked matt black.

My first mr2 was black aswell and had done the same. If you use stuff like autoglym super resin etc then its full of fillers and will look like you've fixed it but it just washes off. You need a machine to be able to cut and polish. It is possible by hand but it'll take hours and hours just to do one panel and you still wont get the best finish.

heres a pic of his when we've finished. No camera trickery just a normal pic on my S3

super

Post by super »

What Nails said. :)

I've used G3 before with good results, using a buffing tool, again, with two of us doing it, it took all day.

Cheers,

John
mattyboy44

Post by mattyboy44 »

Cheers for the replies

The car looks great in that pic!

What sort of machine should I use and where can I get one? Do you have a link please.
super

Post by super »

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... #aKEDA0001

:thumleft:

As good as you'll need. Might find it cheaper elsewhere though.
Nails

Post by Nails »

This is the rotary I have

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=84532

I've been mad about what the kids call detailing since the 90's. I didnt get a da until 2006 though and used that for many years until it broke mid session and I borrowed one of these rotarys. Much quicker but a lot more splatter. Da's are better though for applying glaze and sealents etc.

Youtube has loads of how to vids etc and the likes of detailing world has enough info to spend many many hours on.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Don't go straight in with an aggressive cutting compound

Try Clay bar, then meguiars no.7 first

can be done by hand

made a big difference to my red mr2 - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/a ... 4579ef.jpg
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Stick with a DA if your not familiar with machine polishing. With a two stage polish you can get the paint imperfections and oxidized paint to a good level.
mattyboy44

Post by mattyboy44 »

Thanks guys I'll have to order myself one of them and give it a good day or so try and see what happens.

What head/pad do I need to use?

My paint is really bad and looks like loads of little scratches in places where its really cloudy, it does worry me that I wont be able to get it back as the guy bought it off said he had tried, but I suppose you never know how hard he tried or what he used before giving up
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

The tool should come with standard backing plate so only need to think about pads/polish. What pads will depend on what type of machine you go for :thumleft:

You'll be surprised the difference it can make. If the *clear is oxidized then it doesn't take too much effort to bring back the shine, chasing out every scratch is very time consuming as it requires multiple passes,pad/polish combos,patience and skill!

*sometimes the base coat can fade then no amount of polishing will bring it back, think Honda Milano reds
super

Post by super »

I'd be interested in seeing the results Matt, so let me know when you are going to have a crack at this, and I'll pop over, if you need some help.
mattyboy44

Post by mattyboy44 »

I'm going to have a go this weekend I have ordered all the stuff yesterday cost about £100 in total. That silverline buffer is apparently the most popular one around because of its low price and great performance its approx £50 and it has great reviews.

If you fancy coming and having a look your very welcome too and even more welcome if you would like to help! Its gonna be a big job and I think might take me all day or more!
super

Post by super »

sure, text or PM me your address chief, and i'll come on over. :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

My tips would be watch some videos on youtube. Keep the mop wet if using agressive compound like G3. And keep it moving, let the weight of the mop do the work and be careful near the edges.

Return to “Mechanical”