Dans First 2

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SpamDubz

Dans First 2

Post by SpamDubz »

Hi everyone, new to the mr2 scene and so far I love it! I bought my first 2 around 4 months a go now, here are a few pictures of how I got it. I saw potential so had to buy it. It's completely rust free just needs some changes for the better *cough* body kit *cough* ... :roll:

I'll post the spec before the pictures actually.

Engine

Rev 2 turbo engine on just over 100k
Ct20b turbo
Rebuilt at 90k miles
Triple layered head gasket
New water pump
New dizzy cap
New rotor arm
Colder rated spark plugs
TRD leads
HKS FCON ECU
HKS fuel cut defender
HKS dump valve
Berk intercooler (with fan)
Blitz manual engine lid fan
HKS turbo timer
Blitz dual Electronic boost controller.
Aluminium radiator.
Berk downpipe
Modified Japspeed decat exhaust (single pipe)
Polyflex engine mounts
Aftermarket catch can
ATF transmission fluid just put in

Chassis

Drilled and grooved front disks
Spax 40mm lowering springs
Front and rear strut braces

Exterior

Border rear spats
Bomex side skirts
Lenzo D1R Wheels
Resprayed in super red with black roof
Greddy splitter

Interior

Momo black leather wheel
Pioneer double din touch screen, Bluetooth, USB, aux in head unit.
Depo boost gauge.

The bay is very red and not to my liking but it's had far too much done for me to warrant reversing it all. I think I'll just leave it be for now.. First task was to remove the horrible rear lights and mesh on the reverse lights and fogs.

After that I got offered a wheel swap with a mate that would suit the 2 better than its current chavvy shoes so I went ahead with it. They are a bad fitment, 17x7 all round. 215/40/17. Better than before though. These are temporary until I get better sized ones.

At this point I had driven it for a while and had been toying with the idea of getting rid of it because of the horrible turbo performance. Instead I stuck with it and had a search on here and found that a ct20 would suit what I want perfectly. Full boost to redline :twisted:
I bought a ct20b off Sheppy from here (top bloke, honest, helpful, can't thank him enough!)

The turbo arrived and the task of changing it had to begin. I wasn't very confident at all but went at it full steam ahead.

Ct20b arrival, looking dirty but no abnormal play, no oil, perfect.

Ct26 out

Ct20 in. No more pictures of that as I was pushed for time and it took me nearly a whole day to do it. Mid engine problems!

I started looking for a standard side vent set so I could remove the skirts and spats but I hadn't had any luck for a while. So I thought I'd get ahead of myself and sort the exhaust for future. The twin Japspeed became a single.

Then still to no avail with the side vent, I got bored and decided to become an antisocial teenager.. Straight through exhaust...

I managed to setup some rota fighters in bronze, 17x8 fronts, 17x9 rears. After spending an hour trying to get it in the air on my mates drive due to the annoying side skirts, we got the rear on to check fitment, it went on touching the drop link because for some odd reason they are on facing the wrong way. From that I realised I needed some smaller rubber than what was on there. I need some 245/40/ for the rear. The fronts wouldn't go on, they just hit the strut, so I need 10mm spacers for the front and some 215/40 tyres which I have on my current wheels luckily. This is how the rear fitted just for a sight into the future.

This is where I am at now, I'm not happy with the look of it just yet but it's getting there. The wheels are too tucked, the spats and skirts are fitted and painted badly, and the exhaust looks odd with the spats. I finally found some side vents though so I'm waiting to repair them a little and then paint them ready for removal of the body kit.

The car drives lovely though, since I bought it I had a few teething problems with boost hoses splitting due to being too close to the raw heat of the exhaust manifold (hence the little bit of heat wrap around one of the runners where the pipe goes). A few hoses blew off too due to not being tight enough but now all of that is sorted I'm happy with that.

When I fitted the ct20 I didn't realise until half way through that the manifold wasn't standard and that it made the turbo mount slightly off the correct position so the support bracket on the bottom didn't fit so I had to leave it off. Now the manifold has cracked in 3 places under the weight of the turbo. I knew this would happen but not so soon. I'm waiting for the money to be able to buy a standard manifold to go on so it'll all fit and not crack. Here are a few pictures as it stands.

I will update this as much as possible when I make progress, thank you for taking the time to look at my thread, any constructive criticism welcomed and any other comments appreciated.

Dan.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Dans First 2

Post by Ryan S »

I love the look of this!! I think the kit really suits it mate, rear wheels could come out a bit as you say but it looks great apart from that! Glad you're enjoying the CT20, get some bracing on your next manifold :thumleft:
SpamDubz

Post by SpamDubz »

Thanks mate, I can live with the kit but I hate how high the front looks, it needs to go lower but the kit won't allow it. Plus I've already chopped the exhaust ready for removal of the spats. Yeah ct20 changed the car for me.

Dan.
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

lovey looking car mate

spats are border not bomex but hey ho

think it looks aweesome as is i would leave it alone :D
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Red is my favorite colour in a mr2, although white is a very close second,i really like this car, as for the engine bay, who actually ever sees it ?
are you happy with her now or do you have any more plans ?
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

i bet that exhaust is asbolicious lol mine is bad enough with a box lol

craig

Post by craig »

Car looks tasty, but I bet your ears are bleeding with a straight through exhaust! :pale:
SpamDubz

Post by SpamDubz »

The spec list is just copied from the previous owners ad so thanks for clearing that up :thumleft:

I can live with the bay, I don't hate it as such just wouldn't have done it like that myself. Next plans will be to prepare the standard side vents and kit for paint. Take the kit off and look at it standard and see what I prefer. Then buy, tyres, spacers, the rotas in the pics, roll the arches, buy meister r coilovers, full geometry setup. That'll be exterior done. Then Rev 3 management, or a standalone ecu and a remap. That's all I've got planned so far.

Yeah as for the exhaust it's not actually that bad with the windows shut, the mr2 is the most soundproof car ive owned to be honest. Although, t-tops off, windows down, my ears do take a beating. I live on an island though so I don't do any long drives on the motorway, only short journeys really. Nothing longer than an hour. Does sound a bit tractor like too low down :oops:

Thanks for all the positive comments guys I really appreciate it, you are making me have second thoughts about changing the kit.

Dan.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Good move sorting the rear lights for sure, and going for the staggered wheels. Also taking off that rear badge. I thought the twin exit looked pretty smart myself though!

The bodykit could be really nice too, doesn`t look so bad in pictures to me! But if you are not happy with the quality of fit or the colour match it really can put you off. Looks a nice car anyway I bet it turns a few heads. :thumleft:
SpamDubz

Post by SpamDubz »

The twin exit did look smart but I want single exit when I take the spats off, just getting ahead of myself.

Yeah now people have said they like it, I'm tempted to spray the kit and fit it properly to see what it looks like.

Dan.
Nails

Post by Nails »

It does look like some one has spent a canny few quid on it in the past. Some things like the aftermarket exhaust mani is worth binning and going back to stock.
I normally prefer kitted mr2s but I'm no fan of those skirts or spats. They look a bit unfinished and too square for a 2.
new wheels will look great imo
craig

Post by craig »

Nails wrote:I normally prefer kitted mr2s but I'm no fan of those skirts or spats. They look a bit unfinished and too square for a 2.

I beg to differ! :mrgreen:

:whistle:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

I don't think there's a thread on this forum that Craig hasn't posted a picture of his car on :lol: :whistle:

Gotta say though, I do like the border stuff.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

l1ca wrote:I don't think there's a thread on this forum that Craig hasn't posted a picture of his car on :lol: :whistle:

:lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:
l1ca wrote:I don't think there's a thread on this forum that Craig hasn't posted a picture of his car on :lol: :whistle:

:lol:

:whistle: :mrgreen:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Great looking car SpamDubz :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

:oops:

Gotta fight the Border corner! :lol:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

What size are the rear tyres on the rotas? They look ideal to me!
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:What size are the rear tyres on the rotas? They look ideal to me!

True that :mrgreen: .. look like 245/40/17's to me on the rear :thumleft: everyone goes 215/40/17 on the front :D
griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 »

This looks real cool! I love the kit personally I reckon with the right fitment on the wheels would make the car look hard as nails! Get a vid of how this sounds if it doesn't break the microphone lol!

Return to “Member Profiles”