SMG Rev 3 Turbo ANZ1792

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

SMG Rev 3 Turbo ANZ1792

Post by MR2 Rich »

I have been meaning to do a post on my car for awhile but haven't got around to it. I have had my Rev3 turbo for a year now, I bought it off an older guy who didn't really use it as it is very low and has coilovers on it so his wife couldn't get in it. He said he only bought it because he had an NA when they were new and he had always fancied a turbo. It has been in country since 2001 and was imported by a guy called Chris who I have been told used to be on here?

The history with the vehicle is huge and all owners seem to have spent a fair bit on the car putting their own touch on it (sometimes crap taste my I add!) the car isn't that modified. The only mods at the moment are the 17 inch wheels, Side skirts, Blitz boost controller, Teins superstreets, a mongoose exhaust with a Berk decat and an Apexi air filter. It does also have aftermarket strut braces that I will clean up and repaint at some point. I am going to put it back to standard except the side skirts and wheels as I prefer the look with them on. The only new modification I will be doing is changing the standard intercooler for a Greddy updated one as the standard one is fairly crap and I only put quality parts on my car.

On the test drive when I went to see the car it drove and looked spot on, we did the deal and I arranged to pick it up within the week (the car was 200 miles away from me). I picked it up and on the drive home there was quite a bit of black smoke when accelerating hard, I thought it would be easy to sort and was quite glad it was not white or blue smoke. The car was checked over and the lambda sensor was found to be at fault so was changed along with a very comprehensive service using only Toyota parts except for a Denso lambda sensor.

I had noticed the oil was low on the dipstick after a week or so but couldn't remember if I had checked it when I looked at the car (I'm 99% sure I did) so changed the oil, when I went to check it after a few hundred miles it had dropped quite noticeably. There was the odd bit of blue smoke when first started but none while driving. I kept topping up and using the car because it was performing fine and not much blue smoke. Over time I have been noticing more blue smoke and the oil consumption is pretty bad (about a litre in 500 miles) and it has had a ratting noise at low revs, that goes after about 2/2.5k revs. The noise has been described as sounding a bit like a forged engine.

I have been tempted to sell the car but knew I would find it hard to sell with its issues and I knew it would probably be broken. I really didn't want that to happen as the paintwork is really nice and I do love the car! The underneath and sills are very good as well. So I decided that it was time to have the engine sorted, so on Saturday I went to see someone who knows Mr2's inside out and is very local to me. We talked over the car's problems and talked over what he thought it was and discussed options with what to do.

The decision was made to take the engine out and take it apart and see what is going on in there. I dropped the car off tonight and hopefully the engine will be out during this week and then I can go down on Saturday and we can split the engine and investigate what is going on in there. I will be taking pictures of the rebuild so will add them when I can.

I hope I've haven't been too boring... So here's a few a pictures;

Last edited by MR2 Rich on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No 2 :(
MR2 Rich

Re: SMG Rev 3 Turbo ANZ1792

Post by MR2 Rich »

I always try to remember my camera when I go for a drive as there is some stunning scenery up here in Yorkshire but I always forget. ](*,) So the photos are just after I bought it. I have cleaned all the interior with a carpet cleaner and it looks a lot better than it does in the photos. I have also changed the Magnecor HT leads which came apart when I removed them to change the plugs for Genuine Toyota leads. I have also got rid of the TOM's oil filler cap (which I found in the boot at the weekend actually) don't know if it is genuine or worth anything? The TRD coolant cap has also been changed for a Toyota one.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Very tidy :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thanks Slipping Clutch, it does look very tidy, just need the engine sorted now. :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice motor Rich. Looks as good as it did 10 years ago @ JAE '04. I remember Chris, good lad.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

RedMR² wrote:Nice motor Rich. Looks as good as it did 10 years ago @ JAE '04. I remember Chris, good lad.

Thanks Red, I have a lot of receipts from when Chris had the car. I have done the DVLA form that gives me any information held on file but haven't sent to it off yet (had it about 6 months!).
JD

Post by JD »

Very nice Rich - I hope you get to the bottom of your issues, whatever they are :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

JD wrote:Very nice Rich - I hope you get to the bottom of your issues, whatever they are :thumleft:

Cheers JD, hopefully on Saturday the engine will be out and can get it open and inspected. Fingers crossed.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

The engine is out, going down in the morning to start taking it apart. :mrgreen:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

are you keeping this now? im just over near Otley so will have to meet up
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Yes Rik, I'm keeping this now, decided that I'm going to have the engine rebuilt and keep her long term,as there isn't anything else out there I prefer except a 3dr Cosworth. Hopefully that will be next year to keep ANZ company! Yes mate will have to meet up as I usually go for a drive up near Otley. Personal favorite is the road between Otley and Skipton Road going past Farnley, if you know it?:mrgreen:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So just back from Simon's. Feel like I've been kicked in the balls! Everything that we took off revealed another bodge or problem. Feeling very deflated.

Basically it did have forged pistons at 86.5 rebore, 1 piston has signs of detonation.

All 4 bores are scored.

The head needs a lot of work.

Turbo still suspect.
JD

Post by JD »

Oof :(

Well, nice opportunity to have a freshly-rebuilt, shiny engine in what looks like quite a clean, tidy shell :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Yes mate, just didn't think I would be having to replace the block. When I saw the JE pistons I was really happy as Simon said they do make a noise, which would explain why my engine was sounding like a forged engine! But with the turbo off we could see lots of oil then got the head off and found all the bores scored. Luckily there is a Rev3 turbo block in his workshop on a standard bore that I think I will be buying, but that means some 86mm forged pistons so can't reuse the 86.5mm JE ones that were in my current engine. :pale:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So started to get my ar$e into gear and ring a few places for prices/availability. Pistons will be in stock from next Monday. Going to speak to Trevor at TCB for the other bits.

Going to order Full gasket set, full cambelt kit, water and oil pump from TCB for now. I can't buy bearing yet as Simon told me, when he is putting the engine together he has put a little bit of paint where the bearings go. He then tightens them up and sees how much paint comes out. This then tells us which bearing we need. :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:I can't buy bearing yet as Simon told me, when he is putting the engine together he has put a little bit of paint where the bearings go. He then tightens them up and sees how much paint comes out. This then tells us which bearing we need. :thumleft:

Never heard of that. :? Hoe does the precision aspect work?

Normal process is to measure all journals, grind/polish journals as necessary, choose matching bearings and use Plstigauge to check bearing to journal clearance.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Ask him today about that, think I got confused as he looked at me blankly. As I understand there is 3 different sizes of Big end bearings, my car has 3x size 2 and 1x size 3. So don't understand how ACL can sell a one size fits all set?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:Ask him today about that, think I got confused as he looked at me blankly. As I understand there is 3 different sizes of Big end bearings, my car has 3x size 2 and 1x size 3. So don't understand how ACL can sell a one size fits all set?

Not just ACL, ALL bearing manufacturers produce just 3 sizes of bearing - STD, plus 1 size and plus 2 size. The plus sizes are for cranks that have been ground, and therefore have smaller diameter journals.

Toyota split STD into three sub-sizes, depending on machined size during production.

Paying out for Toyota bearings is IMHO, pointless. If you intend running higher boost, resulting in higher pressures on the bearings, then fitting bearings designed for higher stressed applications is a no brainer.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

So if Toyota divided them into 3 different standard sizes what standard size are these after market companies supplying?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:So if Toyota divided them into 3 different standard sizes what standard size are these after market companies supplying?

Standard.

Toyota didn't divide into three STD sizes. They divided the STD size into three sub-sizes, which is why i was careful with my choice of phrasing.

Read the BGB if you want the full details on nominal and sub sizes.

Return to “Member Profiles”