My new Sonic Shadow Rev5

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheLepresean

My new Sonic Shadow Rev5

Post by TheLepresean »

After having owned a Rev4 I bought on Autotrader for a few months, I caught the MR2 bug and so went looking for my idea of the perfect '2. After posting a thread announcing that I was looking for a car, fellow member RikH77 got in touch, and I bought his Rev5 Sonic Shadow just yesterday!

It is a '98 on an S plate, NA Rev5 with sunroof and deep red leather seats and door cards. The car is almost completely stock with the exception of an Alpine sound system, some flat blade wipers, support struts in the engine bay and a very handy cubby box in the centre console. 69,000 miles or so, no rust and in very good condition... I couldn't turn it down!

240 odd miles, 5 hours, a lot of rain, and a lot of traffic later... I arrived home in South London, very happy with my purchase. Only initial things I decided I had to replace included the windscreen wipers (Bosch Super Plus ordered today from CarParts4Less for £6.84!!), and the front splitter (some damage to the offside, I've put a thread in Items Wanted, so hopefully I can replace that soon). I also want to replace the headunit, although the Alpine unit is very nice, with no aux input, I need another (currently have my eye on a Pioneer CE153DR, £99.99 with free DAB adapter from Halfords).

This morning I woke up and straight away set about cleaning and polishing the car after it's long wet journey, and the paint/bodywork (other than the splitter) is really very good. I put the clear side repeaters that I found left in the boot on and proceeded ordering various other lighting mods - smoked side lights with chrome indicator bulbs upgrade from MR2-Ben, clear headlight lenses, and Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.

Future modifications I intend to make are as follows:

After being made aware of their existence by Rik, a quick eBay search returned the following:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Ce ... 0592901070
looks quite good to me, and overcomes that issue of cup holders that my girlfriend always whinges about...

As above, I intend the replace the headunit with:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165655
Bluetooth, 2 x USB, aux input, and it looks quite smart by comparison to most of the chavvy looking head units.

A turbo engine lid with gas ram, partially for cosmetic reasons, partially for the rain tray.

Import rear light clusters, for the quad sidelights.

And that's about it for the time being! Potentially some kind of breathing mods but nothing major! I shall upload some photos as soon as I get around to taking some decent ones!
TheLepresean

Re: My new Sonic Shadow Rev5

Post by TheLepresean »

I've also ordered myself the obligatory IMOC tax disc holder and sticker, alongside a Pistonheads sticker :)
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Glad your happy with it.

I must admit, when we went out in my black one I dont think i could of parted with it :clap:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Glad you like it, it's my brother in laws old car and my stepdads before that. You don't need to change the lights to get quad sidelights just modify the wiring looms there's plenty of info on here.

Chris
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Thanks Rick, that black car of yours is pretty awesome! And I've read some of those posts Chris, but Rick was saying you can't do it with a UK car cos of the lenses?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

TheLepresean wrote:Thanks Rick, that black car of yours is pretty awesome! And I've read some of those posts Chris, but Rick was saying you can't do it with a UK car cos of the lenses?

You can but to get all 4 lights showing as full lense brakes you'd need import cluster as the inner 2 lenses on UK versions are fog lights so slightly different lense to brake lights.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

I'd just want all four working as side lights, outer two as brakes, and inner two as fogs - essentially only adding a side light function to the two inner bulbs. Is that something that's possible/legal/relatively easy?
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

I'm really terrible at updating this, but I've finally got around to sorting out my Photobucket and I'll try to update it regularly :)

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/TheLe ... R2s/Cassie
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

And for anyone that's interested, the following is my old MR2... but again I've only just got around to Photobucket-ing it all and I can't be bothered looking for a thread I made about it :P

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/TheLe ... /R36%20AAC

Return to “Member Profiles”