[Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ads

[Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Post by ads »

My '2 is currently without rear spoiler (from factory)

Thinking of something different, wanting to introduce a 70s feel, as below

So I'm favouring an experiment with an early ( all black rubber and smaller than later version) Saab 99 item . These are around for £25 , so may get one and mock it up ?

** update december 10th ** just bought one off ebay for £15 - the guy was really helpful and sent me all measurements before I bought, looks pretty close to my bootlid dimensions - hope I can do something with this !

Update 20th december :

So .. saab spoiler arrives, black, very flexible rubber, has fixing screws underneath with screw mountings embedded in spoiler base - looking about the right size .. I rush out to the garage and voila! pretty near spot on \:D/

So I tape in onto boot for trial fit - this is how it looks

REAR

before

after ( loving the rear view )

REAR 3/4

before

after ( NOTE BADLY TAPED DOWN - WILL SIT FLUSH AT FRONT EDGE AND FRONT CORNERS ALMOST PERFECT )

obviously not as good as, but not a million miles away from this? ( Kei office, lovely, rare and beyond what I'm prepared to pay)

SIDE

before

after

FULL SIDE VIEW

didn't take a 'before' so here's the car with the spoiler ( badly ) taped on - by this time it had started to drizzle, much cursing as the tape wouldn't stick of course - important to note that as you see it now the top edge lies only just above horizontal, however when it's properly fixed in place the angle of attack does increase .

I think the black spoiler works with my car because it has original black sills and black rear spat trim / front splitter black rubber trim - not so sure it would work if these parts of the car were colour coded.

Fairly subtle I think.

Other detail points ;

did try mounting further forward towards rear window in a similar situation to rev 3 , didn't appeal to me because it just didn't look right in that location, plus the base didn't want to sit flush, although it could be persuaded to do so without too much difficulty.

see below

finally..

I want the option of returning to original and won't be drilling holes in a virgin Japanes 'G' base spec boot.

If I do mount this spoiler I'm going to make some secure brackets to mount onto the fine threaded screw holes that are well embedded either side in the base - the brackets will then slide adjust somehow to clip into the side edge of the boot.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR SOMETHING LIKE A BOMEX DRIFT WING ? JUST WANT TO SEE HOW THEY'RE CONFIGURED
( or suggestions for what would work are welcomed )

I'll hold the centre section down with 3M double sided tape. I'll make sure it's up to the task of holding it down. (Let's be honest there's very little airflow to the spoiler anyway unless I start fitting an F40 style rear window louvre!)

So, what do you think about the look and whole concept ??

I'm not sure it turned out giving that 70s feel, but I like it more than I thought I would, it's a bit different - Looking forward to your feedback !
Last edited by ads on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 13 times in total.
MR2 Rich

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Post by MR2 Rich »

A K reg with no spoiler, thought only Rev 1 with the 3sfe engine came without spoilers?

I bet nobodies out a Saab spoiler on a 2 before so will be unique. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
ads

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Post by ads »

MR2 Rich wrote:A K reg with no spoiler, thought only Rev 1 with the 3sfe engine came without spoilers?

I bet nobodies out a Saab spoiler on a 2 before so will be unique. :thumleft:

It's a base Japanese 'G' spec so no spoiler, with 3sge engine.

Cheers for the vote :D
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I'd be intrigued to see it :-k
:ttiwwp:
:thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Nic

Post by Nic »

Some pics here of a ducktail rear spoiler for inspiration.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/89435 ... -trunk-lid
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Ooohh that's very nice... Possibly the only spoiler I would put on my car.

Do you know if this comes as a built bootlid or if someone has bonded and smoothed the spoiler to a standard boot? :-k

ads

Post by ads »

KarlBristol wrote:Ooohh that's very nice... Possibly the only spoiler I would put on my car.

Do you know if this comes as a built bootlid or if someone has bonded and smoothed the spoiler to a standard boot? :-k

This is a one piece built lid. Expensive and lovely.
ads

Post by ads »

KarlBristol wrote:I'd be intrigued to see it :-k
:ttiwwp:
:thumleft:

Ok let me buy a spoiler first, then I'll take photos of it in mock up situation :)

Meantime think 90s / 70s mix as per Rocket Bunny Nissan S13 type affair ..
Nic

Post by Nic »

KarlBristol wrote:Ooohh that's very nice... Possibly the only spoiler I would put on my car.

http://madpsi.com/shop/ducktail-trunk-lid/
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Lovely but OMG!!! What a price, and then you have tax, shipping etc :shock: :shock:

I'm staying spoilerless :lol:

ads

Post by ads »

KarlBristol wrote:Lovely but OMG!!! What a price, and then you have tax, shipping etc :shock: :shock:

I'm staying spoilerless :lol:

I might well do the same ! BUT .. a few quid and a bit of fun trying this out eh? .. I'm now waiting to get my hands on one for the right money, close to home so I can go and have a look before committing to buy.

I'll update here as soon as I've got a good way through the process of trial fitting - doubt it will be as easy as I hope! might be quite a bit of this .. ](*,)
ads

Post by ads »

OK ! see original post, spoiler on its way in the next few days ... :pray:
craig

Post by craig »

ads wrote:OK ! see original post, spoiler on its way in the next few days ... :pray:

Nice to see something different, looking forward to pics. :D
ads

Post by ads »

RedMR² wrote:
ads wrote:OK ! see original post, spoiler on its way in the next few days ... :pray:

Nice to see something different, looking forward to pics. :D

Thanks ! everyone seems pretty positive about this, update here in a few days ..

thinking of trying several placement experiments, some a bit crazy, we'll see

perhaps similar to this ( as you know this is Kei office )

or this

don't know what'll work til I try
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

looking forward to pics :D ive a spare bootlid so may try something like this myself at somestage
ads

Post by ads »

Lee8ballauto wrote:looking forward to pics :D ive a spare bootlid so may try something like this myself at somestage

here you go - new photos of trial fitted Saab spoiler in the first post of this thread :) woohoo !
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nice idea, sir. When finished it will look spot on and is a good alternative to the other solutions we've seen 100's of times :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Nice to see originality and a lot of thought and effort going in to it but to me the car looks better without.
It's true spoilerless 2's can look a little 'thin' at the back end but good spats to make the car look deeper are a better cure than another spoiler... IMO.
Still I'm impressed by the idea and look forward to seeing the end result. It looks a little like the smaller Toms rear spoiler. I have one in the shed but in the end chose not to fit until I'm having other work done when I can get it modded (narrowed and heightened then blended to the boot lid) to look like the mad psi.

R.

PS. That secures just by a tiny clamp like fixing at either end that screws up to the bottom of the boot lid.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

HighwayStar wrote:Nice to see originality and a lot of thought and effort going in to it but to me the car looks better without.
It's true spoilerless 2's can look a little 'thin' at the back end but good spats to make the car look deeper are a better cure than another spoiler... IMO.
Still I'm impressed by the idea and look forward to seeing the end result. It looks a little like the smaller Toms rear spoiler. I have one in the shed but in the end chose not to fit until I'm having other work done when I can get it modded (narrowed and heightened then blended to the boot lid) to look like the mad psi.

R.

PS. That secures just by a tiny clamp like fixing at either end that screws up to the bottom of the boot lid.

my problem with no spoiler is that the car looks odd from the side, it looks a bit longer at the back than it should, from other angles it looks great, this may just be the solution!! (other than £1300 carbon bootlids)
craig

Post by craig »

Nice effort mate, should look good when fitted. I ran with no spoiler for just over a year and had border spats fitted to 'beef' out the back end, but much prefer a spoiler fitted.

Return to “Modifications”