Headgasket repair

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ian08

Headgasket repair

Post by ian08 »

Guys,

the head gasket let go on my car on Friday morning and while I've got it stripped down, I might as well change the water pump, timing belt, etc etc.
Question I've got is that my car is a crossover model.....
it's a AW11B on a 'D' reg, first registered 01.05.87, but it's got the earlier engine with the yellow sensor on the intake.... am I right in assuming I need to buy parts for an earlier ( AW11a) engine even though the rest of the car is the later model. The engine number is 4A3288641 if that helps at all.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ian
Last edited by ian08 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PW@Woodsport

Re: Headgasket repair

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It doesn't matter, the HG, water pump and timing belt are all identical from 84-89.
ian08

Post by ian08 »

thanks Paul, much appreciated
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

When i did mine last year i had problems with some bits but i think this was just down to mix ups actually me being given the wrong parts. Took 4 attempts to get the right water pump even though i gave the correct part number each time.
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Well at least you werent sent an AE86 w/pump with the same no for the MR2.
ian08

Post by ian08 »

guys,

Since my head gasket blew back in October I've really missed driving my car but work/family commitments have stopped me from repairing it. As I've now got a couple of weeks off, I'm going to get the parts to repair it and get on with it but could do with a bit of advice re parts as this is the first 4A-GE I've repaired.

I'm going to buy a headgasket kit from Toyota.... what do they come with? Are cam cover gaskets, valve stem seals, inlet & exhaust gaskets included or do I need to buy them separately? How comprehensive is the kit?

Water pump...... should I buy from the Toyota dealer or is a pattern part just as good and if so, any recommended suppliers?

Head bolts..... on a large percentage of engines I've rebuilt over the last 30 yrs ( and there have been a few), I've reused the stretch bolts..... what do most of you do on these engines, new bolts or reuse?

Cam belt and tensioner.... from Toyota

I've got a local machine shop lined up to skim the head so hopefully, as long as the block is ok for the headgasket to back on, it shouldn't be too long before I'm back behind the wheel.

Any advice gratefully received,

thanks,
Ian
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

My advice is don't buy a single part until you have inspected that block, if it's corroded your money is wasted.
ian08

Post by ian08 »

that's good advice Paul, thanks. I intend to keep the car so if the block is corroded, I'll probably pull the engine and get the block decked....... I take your point though...... best to find out first.
Any advice on the parts for when I do buy them?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

When it comes to the head gasket repair i would get everything from Toyota, it is one area you do not want a copy part on.

I'd go spurious on a water pump and timing belt, they're fine, but OEM on everything else.
ian08

Post by ian08 »

yeah, genuine or maybe Payen everytime with headgaskets for me.... learnt my lesson a long time ago with cheapos
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Payen are as good as genuine Toyota in my book :thumleft:
ian08

Post by ian08 »

anyone got any recommendations where to get a water pump from?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Any local parts store will get you one, QH are as good as any, as above no need to go to Toyota for a pump.
ian08

Post by ian08 »

After taking Pauls advice above, I postponed buying any new parts until I'd got the head off which I did last night.
It immediately worried me that I couldn't see any blow past the head gasket although on a brighter note, the block around all the cylinders and water jacket is in excellent condition with no corrosion which I gather is unusual in these engines as they age.
Today I've stripped the head, taking out and bagging the valves etc. and then gave it a good clean up. I was still worried about the lack of a blow across the gasket.... on most other head gaskets I've changed on other cars, the blow is usually apparent and this made me think that the head may be cracked.
After cleaning it up, I think I can see a faint line from n0.4 to the water jacket in the head but my eyes aren't getting any younger and I might be seeing things.... I suppose a pressure test is the only way to know for sure.

My question is:
do I get this head pressure tested tomorrow or just buy a second hand head. If I get mine tested for £40 but it is cracked then I still have to buy a second hand head....... there again, if it tests ok, I've saved the expense and hassle of buying another head.... what should I do?
Also, what's the going rate for a second hand head?
I already know that my own foolish actions have led me to this point but any advice on what to do about the cylinder head would be welcome! :)
thanks,
Ian
Last edited by ian08 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

More likley you've warped the head. I had this problem, it was fine around town but after 20 minutes of high speed cruising it would blow out all the coolant.

Turned out the head needed skimming.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This happened to me when my reservoir pressurised 210 miles from home due to an air bubble.

After I topped it up mercifully it didn't overheat but since rebuilding my engine I found no HG breach but my head was slightly out of square.

Get it checked at an engine builders/re conditioners not a run of a mill garage as they will tell you what's gone on and take them the HG as they will spot things you can't see.

I took my old gasket when my head was skimmed and some 60 something engine builder spotted something I didn't and I'm a Draughtsman where attention to detail is paramount!
ian08

Post by ian08 »

thanks for the replies, that's good advice about taking the gasket along with the head...... I dropped the head and gasket off at the engine builders this morning so it's wait and see time.
ian08

Post by ian08 »

ordered a head gasket from Toyota today.... roughly what I was expecting to pay but then asked for a price for a set of valve seals..... £8.41 each plus vat :shock:
This can't be right can it surely.... 160 quid for a set of seals?
Needless to say, I won't be buying them from the Toyota dealer if that's what they want for them..... any recommendations for good quality pattern parts?
ian08

Post by ian08 »

all sorted.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”