[Mk2] [Turbo] eBay aftermarket intercooler thoughts

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tedtiler

[Mk2] [Turbo] eBay aftermarket intercooler thoughts

Post by Tedtiler »

Hi guys,

Did a search trying to find out whether this xspower side mounted intercooler is gonna be any use on a road car. Not too much real world answers.
Its on a std ct26 at a bar boost. Used with the shroud obviously.

Apart from helping with heat soak does it actually lower intake temps? Having taken out a std intercooler before I really don't want to unless it's worth my while.

Raymond
laze

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] eBay aftermarket intercooler thoughts

Post by laze »

If you're going to upgrade your intercooler, save your pennies and buy a GReddy, Spearco or HKS unit - buy cheap, buy twice!
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

There fine mate. Just put the shroud and upgraded fan on it .

Only bad bit is that the cold pipe dosent fit all that well .

I just brought a silicone 90° Bend and a 45° of the cooler and cut the original pipe down and it fits perfect.
Nic

Post by Nic »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=172895

I'd do what this member has done and look for a good quality 2nd hand branded IC, rather than a cheap new one.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nothing wrong with them, ran one on my old rev2 for 5 years, never had lugs break etc... i believe it's still on the car with the new owner and still going strong, that car has run 1 bar of boost for around 7 years now with that same intercooler, they are much better than stock. having said that, i don't have a cheap one on my current rev3 but if i was on a budget i wouldn't have a second thought about buying one of the ebay ones again :thumleft:
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Cheers chaps. Used to have a few starlet turbos and it's little top mount intercooler is about the same size as the mr2, and they are only a 1.3 with a turbo half the size.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

laze wrote:If you're going to upgrade your intercooler, save your pennies and buy a GReddy, Spearco or HKS unit - buy cheap, buy twice!

Correct for quite a few things but not for IC's.

Made 570bhp on a £90 12x24x4 with shizen end tanks. Just about to upgrade to a 12x24x4.5 with huge end tanks at a cost of £170.

HKS, Greddy, ARC ... £1500+ ill stick with my £170 ebay jobbie thanks.
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Another member made 350bhp on his xspower ic swapped it for a greddy and made no improvement
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i think the fact that they are fairly simple to make/copy or whatever makes them cheap, greddy etc are just taking the utter mickey...nice to hear about some bigger builds using them though, that alone speak volumes :thumleft:
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

It a piece of metal that has no moving parts as said its easy to copy there fine like others have said just buy a good fan

I wouldn't bother with the kit the core is fine but the hoses pipes and clamps are crap,
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

What the more expensive brands have is extensive flow testing to ensure the IC is as efficient as can be whilst being as unrestrictive to the airflow as possible. You will also find that the dearer ones have a superior design inside giving better heat exchange from the air to the metal. Cheap ones use the typical 'Bar and plate' design. Yes, a ARC IC of £1500 will out perform a 'bar and plate' ebay copy thats £190 but not to the extent where its worth £1310 more! tbh if you could compare the two and found the ebay one to produce IAT's that are for argument sake, 25% hotter, then it would be far far cheaper just to sort out the difference with a meth/water WI kit.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

yeah it's silly money, imagine the chargecooler or bootmount you could get for that money!
Nic

Post by Nic »

Put a cheap Chinese copy IC next to a genuine HKS, GReddy, Blitz, ARC IC and the differences are obvious, better construction, finish, core design, end tank design/construction, quality of the piping and silicon couplers.

Back to back tests of the inlet and outlet temps and pressures would show the branded IC's are more efficient at cooling the charge temps, with less pressure loss.

Whether they are worth the extra though is up to the buyer.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nic wrote:Put a cheap Chinese copy IC next to a genuine HKS, GReddy, Blitz, ARC IC and the differences are obvious, better construction, finish, core design, end tank design/construction, quality of the piping and silicon couplers.

Back to back tests of the inlet and outlet temps and pressures would show the branded IC's are more efficient at cooling the charge temps, with less pressure loss.

Whether they are worth the extra though is up to the buyer.

the core aside, you could get proper 1 piece pipes fabbed up from scratch from polished stainless for the difference in price.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Is ARC the same as the Phoenix power IC?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

The stock intercooler with the addition of a WI kit will outperform the cheap ebay or the overpriced greddy units 99/100 cases.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

T.F.S. wrote:The stock intercooler with the addition of a WI kit will outperform the cheap ebay or the overpriced greddy units 99/100 cases.

That's not one intercooler outperformimg another, that's WI outperforming an intercooler.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

sheppy wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:The stock intercooler with the addition of a WI kit will outperform the cheap ebay or the overpriced greddy units 99/100 cases.

That's not one intercooler outperformimg another, that's WI outperforming an intercooler.

Well spotted, any other blindingly obvious observations you have to point out? :mrgreen:
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Nic

Post by Nic »

Odin_S wrote:Is ARC the same as the Phoenix power IC?

Not the same but both companies make very good quality parts, see IC pics here

http://www.mr2.com/forums/turbo-engine- ... olers.html
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

T.F.S. wrote:
sheppy wrote:

Well spotted, any other blindingly obvious observations you have to point out? :mrgreen:

No, i will say that the stock intercooler with the addition of a chargecooler will outperform any ebay or greddy intercooler though :oldtongue:

Return to “Modifications”