Help! - Ignition Barrel

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

zain33

Help! - Ignition Barrel

Post by zain33 »

Hi Guys - can someone point me in the right direction for this issue please:

Went to start my Rev 1 tubby yesterday and the key didn't want to turn into the acc position. Had to really jiggle the steering wheel to get the steering wheel lock to disengage, finally allowing the key turn.

Popped to the shops, and on my way back it got stuck again. I couldn't repeat the trick and after sweating for half an hour jiggling the steering wheel lock and trying to turn the key, I gave in and called the RAC :(

With the help of the RAC chap, we pulled apart the plastics under the steering wheel column. Whatever he tried he couldn't get the steering lock freed up to let the key turn.

Eventually he removed two tapered bolts from under the steering column which unlocked the steering - but STILL couldn't turn the key in the barrel. Pulled out the barrel itself and got the car started using a screwdriver in the plastic part that sits behind the ignition barrel, which the barrel slots into.

It looks like I need a new ignition barrel? Should I get a full set of locks for doors/boot/glovebox/ignition and keys? 8-[

Thanks for the help :eye:
Blue2UK

Re: Help! - Ignition Barrel

Post by Blue2UK »

I had a similar problem with my key not turning but the steering lock wasn't on and managed to start it after about 5 mins.

A week later my flat was robbed and they got the spare key to my car so I got a full lock set with 2 keys for £45 delivered from a member on here.

For the cost (assuming you fit them yourself) I'd definitely go for a full set rather than just ignition and have 2 different keys.
zain33

Post by zain33 »

Ah sorry to hear about the flat mate :mad:

£40 sounds far cheaper than what I was expecting - how difficult a job is it to fit all locks? Also any differences between UK/Jap models and different Revs?
gtschris.com

locks

Post by gtschris.com »

zain33 wrote:Ah sorry to hear about the flat mate :mad:

£40 sounds far cheaper than what I was expecting - how difficult a job is it to fit all locks? Also any differences between UK/Jap models and different Revs?

If you can get the key to turn again by wiggling it, you can push a small pin in on the housing and release the barrel and key assemble out the case steering housing - then swap it our for a good barrel and key (keep old key for doors ect)

If you can't get key to turn again, then swap out the steering column is the way forward (fairly straight forward job)

We have lots different spec locks and lock sets instock for the mk2 (age & jdm vs UK differences) email us for info / prices.

Chris
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Must be the weather as mine has just done the same thing this morning!!! grrr!!!!

Heres a pic of the barrel and the pin chris is talking about although for some mad reason it wont come out. It depresses down on first click of ignition and I was expecting it to come out if you keep turning but no joy so far - am I doing something wrong????

gtschris.com

help

Post by gtschris.com »

take the white plastic light up surround off (one screw underside + one wiring plug).

put the key in and turn till pin depresses, then clock the key back over pull out at the same time - the barrel & key should just pop right out...
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Cheers Chris - Ive had another go after your advice with success :-)

Here's some pics i took which will hopefully help others

Undo the single phillips white screw securing the shroud and remove

Using something like an allan key depress the pin whilst rotating the key in the ignition until you feel the allan key give way

Ignition barrel can then be pulled out

zain33

Post by zain33 »

Guys this is great! I'll give it a go tonight. Although, when I was trying it with the RAC man, we did have a play with the release pin but still couldn't get the key to turn. Why does the steering column need to be swapped out? Would a complete new barrel/assembly not do the trick?
Harold

Post by Harold »

zain33 wrote:Guys this is great! I'll give it a go tonight. Although, when I was trying it with the RAC man, we did have a play with the release pin but still couldn't get the key to turn. Why does the steering column need to be swapped out? Would a complete new barrel/assembly not do the trick?

I think the replacement steering column is in case you can't remove the ignition barrel using the above trick.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Pump the key slot with loads of WD40 then just keep trying. Reckon my soaked in and loosened it up a bit by the time the AA man arrived - took him just a few mins of wiggling it about and it came free. Just finished replacing it with the o ne I took out in the photos above.

Will be doing it again tomorrow once my replacement locks arrive from Chris so if you need any more photos let me know in advance and Ill take some :-)
Last edited by JeffD on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zain33

Post by zain33 »

yes please!! That would be great cheers :thumleft: I'll give it a go tonight or over the weekend to figure out exactly what parts I need
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Ok just done it so here's some more comprehensive pics...

There's only a few tools involved - a knife covered in tape to prevent scratches, a short and long pozidrive screwdriver and an allen key to depress the barrel pin

Undo the 2 screws either side o fthe bottom of the steering column which will allow you to pull the bottom trim down

If you have a fascia round your stero pull this off now so the tabs dont get broken

The gear surround trim is sort of hinged at the front so using a knife covered in tape lever it up working from the back otherwise youll snap the plastics

Pull the ashtray out

Undo the 2 screws securing the bottom of the main central trim which like the gear surround will pull away - be careful as there are wiurs attached (I left mine connected)

This exposes the trim peice you really want to remove with is just inder the speedo

Undo the screw securing the left hand side then it should pull away - takes a bit of wiggling to get the vent end out (vent comes out with it)

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

With the barrel exposed undo the screw that secures the shroud

Insert the allen key in the hole then turn the key slowly to "acc" at which point you should feel the resistance on the pin give way and then then with a bit of wiggling the barrel and key can be withdrawn

As Haynes say reassembly is pretty much reversal of operation just make sure you don't trap any wires etc. and to put the new barrel in you must have the key in and turned so the pin will drop down.

Find the key position where pin will depress

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Lol ive been in a rager all weekend as it happened to me aswell, apparently my key is worn did though so ive found a knack to it now so will need to get a couple of spares made asap!
Hopefully it is just the key for me and not the other parts
zain33

Post by zain33 »

Guys this is amazing, jeffd thanks for the write-up! I've not had any joy removing the barrel from the housing yet as my key will not turn at all. I've soaked it with WD40 now and will leave it overnight then have a proper go again tomorrow :thumleft:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Your welcome :-)

I did the boot lock and door locks too so all my locks match - I took pics so if anyone is interested Ill post them up too.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”