Relay clicking relative to speed?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

[email protected]

Relay clicking relative to speed?

Post by [email protected] »

Hello,

I have run a few searches and I have been unable to find anything.
I have a mk2 rev2 mr2 and all was well up until today when I noticed that I have a relay clicking noise when the car is in motion, not when standing still. This is relative to speed so when I speed up I here the clicking noise more.

It sounds like its coming from the dash area, around or bellow the speedo cluster but I have been unable to see anything.

Could a kind sole please point me in a direction that might go some way to explain this? everything seems to be working as expected electrically and it has not done this before.

its also worth noting that the speedo since owning this car (a very short time) under-reads massively and is pretty inconisetent.

Thanks for any help,
Sam
going4the1

Re: Relay clicking relative to speed?

Post by going4the1 »

The problems are probably related. Remove the dash binnacle and take the car out for a short drive. That may isolate the issue.
[email protected]

update

Post by [email protected] »

Well, found it. took everything off, the dash, binnacle, The toad alarm was behind it. took that off.
Cleaned all contacts, fitted new stereo and tidied up wiring.

Put it all back together, still clicking..... Then I reset the trip counter and it stopped ](*,)

The Speedo is still well out although the distance calculated is correct?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

somebody has maybe had the needle off, you need to set it with GPS while driving, something I never wanna have to do again ](*,)
9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm »

I had this exact same issue a few months ago. was driving me mad. a few days with the noise I noticed the trim miles were sticking at 99miles and not going to 100 (thought the MPG was bad!). I reset it and it never came back!
Ricardos

Re: update

Post by Ricardos »

[email protected] wrote:Well, found it. took everything off, the dash, binnacle, The toad alarm was behind it. took that off.
Cleaned all contacts, fitted new stereo and tidied up wiring.

Put it all back together, still clicking..... Then I reset the trip counter and it stopped ](*,)

The Speedo is still well out although the distance calculated is correct?

Had the same issue for 6 months and solved it this way aaccidentally #-o #-o

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”