t-bar silicone trick

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andy_mr2_1987

t-bar silicone trick

Post by andy_mr2_1987 »

hi, i have read the knowledge base regarding my leaky t-bar, im thinking of trying the silicone and clingfilm method but didnt quite understand the intructions,

i may be being dumb but could some body please explain a tad more? im unsure on the clingfilm part, do i put clingfilm on the roof seal and not on the panels? does the cling film peel off after it has dried and the silicone will mould and stick to the glass panel?

thanks
craig

Re: t-bar silicone trick

Post by craig »

new seals and eccentric rod guides?
andy_mr2_1987

Post by andy_mr2_1987 »

hi, yes im going to try the eccentric rods? wheres best to get new seals and how much are they?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i did the clingfilm trick and it lasted oo about 6yrs, then I had to replace it (taking the tbars off for those sunny hours you will eventually go through the silicon). Then I tried the eccentric guides which I have to admit I couldn't get to work. SO i went back to the std guides and I spaced out the body brackets which helped for a fair bit of time. Just a few months ago I put a seam of silicon down on the tbar running parallel to the body rubber and it seems to be working quite well.

some links, not fully up to date info but meh it's a hobby :thumleft:
http://awpish.co.uk/motor/tubby/tBarLeak.html
http://awpish.co.uk/motor/tubby/tBarGuides2.html
andy_mr2_1987

Post by andy_mr2_1987 »

Thanks for you replys and links, where do I get the eccentric rods from?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

I did silicone on my first mr2 worked well.

Put clingfilm over every surface you don't want it to get on. Leave the rubber seal where you apply it bare, heap it all on don't be shy.

Get it all shut, put pressure on tbar so fills all gaps - left mine about a week in garage
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=493

Get them from Mr T quoting the part numers 63284-17030. 1 item (ie a pair) does one side so you need to order 2 of them
andy_mr2_1987

Post by andy_mr2_1987 »

Thanks again, where can I get a new drivers side seal from? Does the seal go all the way down the piller to the egde of the bonnet?
PeteP

Post by PeteP »

The eccentric rod guides make all the difference and seem to have fixed my leaking MK1 T-bar.

What I did as a temporary solution until I got the eccentric guides in place was to pull the seal out of the channel it is secured in. It raises the seal and increases the sealing pressure.

Another possible cheap fix - although I didn't get around to trying it because the guides worked - is to thread some thin bungee cord through the hollow part of the seal. This reinforces the seal so that when the glass is pressed down on it the seal doesn't give as much and pushes back against the glass like a brand new seal.

Or you can spend the £200 for new seals. :pale:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Apply the silicone to the corner surface/edge its a diagonal surface of rubber, say 4mm thick and place the cling film to the body of car seal side and clip the tbar back in placed and leave a day for it to set then trim off the excess.
The silicone will fill the gap in the diagonal gap where they normally leak
andy_mr2_1987

Post by andy_mr2_1987 »

i have thried the silicone trick but it did not work for me, ill give the other ideas a go but to be honest the rubber seal that goes down the piler doesnt look to clever and has had loads of silicone fired underneath it by the previous owner. thanks
PeteP

Post by PeteP »

Down the pillar is beyond my experience, although I do have some leak issues there. My tips have only been tried on the roof seals (by me anyway).

My pillar seals look weird - like they've had some sort of heat and rubber treatment.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”